THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-21-2021, 09:52 PM
Senior Chief

Fantastic garage spaces!

Old 07-24-2021, 08:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The garage and pole barn look very nice. One thing that stuck out to me right away is the condition of the concrete floors. They really look great. I don't think I saw a crack in any of them. Car lover's property for sure.

Old 07-24-2021, 10:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
The garage and pole barn look very nice. One thing that stuck out to me right away is the condition of the concrete floors. They really look great. I don't think I saw a crack in any of them. Car lover's property for sure.
Mike, the pole building is only 8 years old so the concrete is fairly new, plus it was relief cut with a concrete saw. There was another building that was on the same spot that burned down. This building replaced that one so it's new and all the electric is run in conduit just like a commercial building.

The older garage age is unknown by me, but the floor is also in excellent shape, and was also relief cut so if it does crack, it usually follows the saw cut.

I want to but an above ground 10,000# lift in the pole building, which requires 6.5 inches of concrete so I need to drill it to see how thick it is. Most times it's only 4 inches, but we shall see when I drill it.

The garage and pole building total 2736 sq ft, plus there are 2 more buildings with gravel floors that have roughly another 1200 sq ft.

Tomorrow I'm going to pressure wash the floors in both buildings before I start moving my stuff in, might as well start out as clean as I can.....

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 07-25-2021, 08:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

On your way! Nice.

Old 07-26-2021, 10:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
Mike, the pole building is only 8 years old so the concrete is fairly new, plus it was relief cut with a concrete saw. There was another building that was on the same spot that burned down. This building replaced that one so it's new and all the electric is run in conduit just like a commercial building.

The older garage age is unknown by me, but the floor is also in excellent shape, and was also relief cut so if it does crack, it usually follows the saw cut.

I want to but an above ground 10,000# lift in the pole building, which requires 6.5 inches of concrete so I need to drill it to see how thick it is. Most times it's only 4 inches, but we shall see when I drill it.

The garage and pole building total 2736 sq ft, plus there are 2 more buildings with gravel floors that have roughly another 1200 sq ft.

Tomorrow I'm going to pressure wash the floors in both buildings before I start moving my stuff in, might as well start out as clean as I can.....
I had a feeling you were going to install an above ground lift. I have a 10,000 lb Forward brand lift in my pole barn. Forward says in their instructions 4.5" minimum slab thickness for the lift and a minimum distance from saw cuts. Don't remember what it was. I made some test drillings in the general area of the posts and it was just over 4.5" so I went ahead and installed it. Within 6 months I had 2 small hairline cracks radiating from 2 of the anchors on one post to the saw cuts several feet away. I check the anchor plate nuts all the time and one I have to draw up a couple times a year. It kinda sucks. My advice is make absolutely sure the slab is OVER the recommended thickness or cut out a several foot area and pour a deep footer tying it into the thin slab. I wish I would have done it the first time. Live and learn. If you cut and add footers, I would go 8-12" Then you are done once and for all. If your slab is 6-6 1/2" you are good to go as is for sure. Great place you have there, enjoy it.

BTW, not crazy about my Forward brand lift either. This is my second one, The first one now 6 years old was just great, the second one, 4 years old, not so much. Pump and motor burned up and popped a 50A breaker at 3 months old. Chinese unit. Forward promptly replaced it with an Italian older unit they had on the shelf, and it's been OK. BUT they said they were discontinued and all are Chinese now. Factory service was great, quality of product going downhill as everything is Chinese now. Had one of the large hydraulic cylinders leak after 6 months as well. Replaced promptly and they did not want the old one back. I would buy some other brand.

Old 07-26-2021, 10:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
I had a feeling you were going to install an above ground lift. I have a 10,000 lb Forward brand lift in my pole barn. Forward says in their instructions 4.5" minimum slab thickness for the lift and a minimum distance from saw cuts. Don't remember what it was. I made some test drillings in the general area of the posts and it was just over 4.5" so I went ahead and installed it. Within 6 months I had 2 small hairline cracks radiating from 2 of the anchors on one post to the saw cuts several feet away. I check the anchor plate nuts all the time and one I have to draw up a couple times a year. It kinda sucks. My advice is make absolutely sure the slab is OVER the recommended thickness or cut out a several foot area and pour a deep footer tying it into the thin slab. I wish I would have done it the first time. Live and learn. If you cut and add footers, I would go 8-12" Then you are done once and for all. If your slab is 6-6 1/2" you are good to go as is for sure. Great place you have there, enjoy it.

BTW, not crazy about my Forward brand lift either. This is my second one, The first one now 6 years old was just great, the second one, 4 years old, not so much. Pump and motor burned up and popped a 50A breaker at 3 months old. Chinese unit. Forward promptly replaced it with an Italian older unit they had on the shelf, and it's been OK. BUT they said they were discontinued and all are Chinese now. Factory service was great, quality of product going downhill as everything is Chinese now. Had one of the large hydraulic cylinders leak after 6 months as well. Replaced promptly and they did not want the old one back. I would buy some other brand.
Thanks for the heads up Mike, that info is good information to know. I once worked at a dealership that had a Rotary asymmetrical lift, and I liked that unit a lot, but that was in 2005 ish, they probably have gone the way of all the companies, and went to the china crap too. I might run over to Indy to see the stuff Greg Smith has too, but I noticed they are out of some of their lifts too.

I got the 30X40 pressure washed last night, the pole building will probably have to wait til after next weekend, only going to be able to attend on Friday this year due to grandson first B day party on Saturday.

Mike, are Eric and you going to be there on Friday? I'd like to at lest say hello if I can find you guys.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 07-26-2021, 10:37 AM
Senior Chief

Another reason I bought a medium rise scissors lift, no drilling or anchor bolts or falling off the lift. Handles everything from short roadsters to RVs.

Old 07-26-2021, 11:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a Rotary asymmetrical built in 2012 (yes, China). 10K and it required at least 6" of concrete rated at 3000# p.s.i.. I think it required to be at least 36" from any seam or crack. It's used multiple times daily with zero problems. It's electric/hydraulic.

Old 10-04-2021, 03:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just spent our first night here on Saturday night, long time coming.

There is still lots of things not done, and furniture and belongings not moved thank the lord I have a 14 foot straight truck with a lift gate on it.

This afternoon we're having all the ductwork cleaned, and there is painting and drywall that still needs finished, along with a new double sink vanity in the downstairs bath that needs installed , and plumbed. Just not enough hours in a day......LOL, If I could cut out meals, and sleep I could get finished sooner.........

Other than doing some work on one of my trailers (re-wiring lights) and some needed lawn mower repairs and service, I have yet to turn a wrench on any of my own stuff in the garages. Just trying to get the contractors in line (painting, flooring, duct cleaning, HVAC) is a full time job, and then doing all the repairs I can handle myself. then there's 3-4 hours of lawn mowing every week too.

Just an update if anyone cares about the joys of buying, and rehabbing an old farmhouse.

I still have a race car chassis, a 76 T/A subframe, with a 455 in it, an 6X10 enclosed trailer, a car dolly and a 20 foot enclosed truck body, with an 84 GP in it, that I need to move to this house, from the old home. doesn't look like I'll get any of my own wrenching done until next spring...........

In my spare time, I need to also get the snowplow installed on my 93 K3500 dually too.

1984 Grand Prix