Old 08-25-2021, 04:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I mixed up some 1:1:1 (33% ?), induced about 45 min (but WITH the slow reducer in the mix) shot it at 20 psi. Did a wet coat, but not heavy, went down pretty nice but the final surface was not as smooth as the sanded finish beneath. Not rough or dry by any means, but not slick.

I will probably really need to tack rag this seal coat before the base .... is that doable?

Couple more questions for paint day. Is is any problem to mix a full batch of the necessary paint ahead of time (like 30min-hour)?

As above ... can I tack the seal coat?

On a vinyl top car ... do you paint the drip rails or leave them in epoxy?

What is the maximum allowable wait time between base and clear? It may be a week before the weather will be suitable to paint again.

Thanks

Old 08-25-2021, 04:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
I mixed up some 1:1:1 (33% ?), induced about 45 min (but WITH the slow reducer in the mix) shot it at 20 psi. Did a wet coat, but not heavy, went down pretty nice but the final surface was not as smooth as the sanded finish beneath. Not rough or dry by any means, but not slick.

I will probably really need to tack rag this seal coat before the base .... is that doable?

Couple more questions for paint day. Is is any problem to mix a full batch of the necessary paint ahead of time (like 30min-hour)?

As above ... can I tack the seal coat?

On a vinyl top car ... do you paint the drip rails or leave them in epoxy?

What is the maximum allowable wait time between base and clear? It may be a week before the weather will be suitable to paint again.

Thanks
Lot of questions there.

1:1:1 is a 50% reduction.

20 psi? That sounds low to me.

You can very lightly tack your sealer.

Yes you can mix all the base in advance. You can wait a week or so to clear base imho. Keep it out of the sun and I would not cover it.

Don

The Following User Says Thank You to dhutton For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2021, 04:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It should have sprayed slick at a 50% reduction. I've never used my LPH-400 at anything lower than 23 psi but if it didn't spray slick with that much reduction, it has to be gun adjustment. Also remember your spraying distance is less with gun because of the wide pattern it has.

Here's a good discussion about time from base to clear on the SPI user forum:
http://www.spiuserforum.com/index.ph...re-clear.6220/

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
The Following User Says Thank You to roger1 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2021, 05:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll lower the reduction and up the pressure and see how that goes.

That thread reminds me .... so how much clear activator goes in the base?

And it's fine to get the base a thorough tacking before clear?

Last edited by dataway; 08-25-2021 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-25-2021, 05:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A capful in a quart is suggested. Obviously only add to each cup of base as you spray

Old 08-25-2021, 06:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Another option would be to get up early in the morning and spray your sealer and base coats and wait 6 hours then spray your clear. Overnight is the preference but it is summer so I think 6 hours would be OK. You could cut your sealer coat to base time down to 30 minutes. Many guys do that anyway. Then 30 minutes between coats of base.
I'd be interested in Don's take on what I'm saying with this.

Some of this might depend on the base and reducer you are using so an email with this question to Chad might be a good thing on this since he sold it to you and knows his products well.
Since you aren't spraying in a booth, it is little concerning what was said in that thread link I posted. The 6 hour option might be better than waiting the week.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
The Following User Says Thank You to roger1 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2021, 06:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1 View Post
Another option would be to get up early in the morning and spray your sealer and base coats and wait 6 hours then spray your clear. Overnight is the preference but it is summer so I think 6 hours would be OK. You could cut your sealer coat to base time down to 30 minutes. Many guys do that anyway. Then 30 minutes between coats of base.
I'd be interested in Don's take on what I'm saying with this.

Some of this might depend on the base and reducer you are using so an email with this question to Chad might be a good thing on this since he sold it to you and knows his products well.
Since you aren't spraying in a booth, it is little concerning what was said in that thread link I posted. The 6 hour option might be better than waiting the week.
I like to leave my base overnight before clear. I’m sure it can be less but that’s what I do. Less chance of trapping solvents that way.

Don

The Following User Says Thank You to dhutton For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2021, 06:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Most of the bases I’ve sprayed....you have a 24 hour window ...between base and clearcoat. Just saying

The Following User Says Thank You to MUSLCAH For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2021, 11:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm using the Motobase product that Chad sells, I'll have to check his site for a tech sheet, didn't see one with the shipment.

I'm painting outside, but immediately after painting I roll it back inside (I have the body on a wheeled trolley.)

Just checked the data sheet ... has to be cleared within 8 hours. Wish I had known that ahead of time. Otherwise scuff/sand recoat with base, then clear.

So yes, I'm going to mostly likely end up with a morning/afternoon paint day.

Also says only 5-10 mins between base coats.

Last edited by dataway; 08-25-2021 at 11:30 PM.
Old 08-25-2021, 11:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey Dataway…..a little something nobody cared to tell you about……ahh never mind

Old 08-26-2021, 01:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Luckily I won't ever be painting another car

If I had a booth it would be fine ... but I'm at the mercy of the weather, which sucks lately.

Old 08-26-2021, 07:49 AM
Senior Chief

I was told by the Dupont rep that without hardener in the base there was no time limit but with hardener you had to paint it that day.

Old 08-26-2021, 03:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Just checked the data sheet ... has to be cleared within 8 hours. Wish I had known that ahead of time. Otherwise scuff/sand recoat with base, then clear.
So yes, I'm going to mostly likely end up with a morning/afternoon paint day.
Also says only 5-10 mins between base coats.
It would be hard for me to against what the P-sheet unless someone who knows the paint says otherwise. You can sure check with Chad. He is also a big user for the products he sells.

However if it's not a problem for you to do it like the instructions say, you should be fine. The 5 to 10 between coats sounds pretty short. What speed reducer are you using?

Old 08-26-2021, 03:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Roger, if you could, check my thread on painting Motobase, has all the details of the products and my plan. Thanks