Old 05-16-2014, 01:13 PM

Question SR ramair 4 block?

Hey gang, dig this; on ebay this morning I discovered a new entry, item number 111355528713. I am sorry, I don't know how to establish a link, I will respectfully ask one of the more computer literate members to help me in this action. Moving on, this block has the correct for 1969, RA4 cast,ground and restamped suffix casting number ending in 2506 on the back and 4 bolt mains, but instead of an "SR" designator normally seen towards the top, it has a "YS". Last time I looked, YS was a base engine/400 turbo application and was NOT equipped with 4 bolt main caps. It also has what appears to be an EUN on the left hand side, front top. Second; what is also interesting, is this person went to alot of detail in his description on how he re-dowled, allign/bored/honed the main caps. Now I am not making any assertions but you normally do this when you convert from 2 bolt(YS) to 4 bolt (WW) so as to ensure perfect allignment for the crank. In addition, replacement 4 bolt caps are available from a number of Pontiac suppliers for around, last time I looked, roughly $350. Its been sleeved and he will be happy to let it go for the paltry sum of $5000 cash. Hmmm?!?! Is it dooable at a reasonale sum of money. lets see, one used YS block out of a junked 69 400/automatic GTO, alot of them, lets say $100, one set of replacement 4 bolt caps from your favorite supplier (pontiac parts-that is)-$350. hot tank, cap installation/boring/honing at a reputable shop(hopefully), lets say$400-500. Total investment under a g note- sell for 5 big ones, 5x return on your investment-better than the stock market and tax free. In this case as I said earlier, I am not making any assertionsl just hypothisizing what could be done if someone wanted to. What are your opinions on this engine block.

Old 05-16-2014, 02:07 PM
Senior Chief

The factory may have used a RAIV block to assemble a YS motor. Its possible but unlikely and your assessment is probably correct. In any case this block is worth what a regular YS block is worth. To be polite, all I will say regarding the price is that I would be very surprised if this item sells for the buy it now price.

Old 05-16-2014, 02:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

ive owned 1..2506 stamped YS block....it happened...what..ya think they threw away over production blocks?

more common than ya think..as far as value..its still a YS

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 05-18-2014, 11:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I own a 2.56 nodular rear end. There are a lot of factory oddities!

Old 05-29-2014, 09:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68pongto View Post
I own a 2.56 nodular rear end. There are a lot of factory oddities!
Think I did too. A type O posi.