The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 06-28-2012, 02:50 AM
Senior Chief

Question Top holding down hooks in 65 GTO

Just another top-related question :-) My car is a 65 GTO, but may be it's not type specific...

My car has on both sides kind of hooks that hold down the top when it is opened. This prevents the top being opened/lifted by air-stream when driving a bit faster.

Those hooks are made of a feathering stripe of steel with a plastic holder riveted on that grabs the frame of the top and snaps on when it is opened completly. The hooks are attached at the body on the inside of the top and rearside of the 1/4-glass.

I can nowhere find those hooks as parts so I wonder if they are stock or if someone did some piece of handicraft.

They look worn and one lost its plastic holder. They are good to hold down the top, but bad since the must be released everytime before one can close the top.

So my question is: Is that stock equipment? Do YOU have such downholders in your convertible?

my goat and my wife: both are beloved, both are reliable and both are expensive!
Old 06-29-2012, 11:52 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

my 66 gto conv didnt have them but mine was power so the hydrallics hold it down. maybee a previous owner had a leaking hydrallic cylinder? had the speedo buried several times on old/new route 66 in Ill after they 4 lane it and never had any problems.bought the car used in 1968 and had 33000 miles on it. now it is rusting away in my back yard with over 350000+ miles on it and 14 different motors including hit 13 times including 2 totals and 2 rebuilds on it. Just call me an easy driver lol. just retired and am dragging it out and starting to work on it.