Old 06-23-2018, 08:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default WTB Decent Rust Free '74, '75, '77 Ventura

Starting a search for a possible candidate for a LOW budget street/strip build. Have not decided yet exactly which body to use. I'm open to a good buy on several body styles.

Of the Venturas, I like '74, '75, & '77 best. But, will consider others. A nice '74, with 350 Pontiac engine is my 1st choice. Rather not have a hatchback, but will consider. Need not run. I have a 455 to put in it.

Since it will be a street/strip build, would prefer that it has the 8.5 rear. That makes a '74, with Pontiac V8, probably the best choice. But, I think I've read that some '75-up Vents had an 8.5, if V8 powered.

Can't use a rusty or disassembled project. Can't do body work. Need something that mostly needs some fresh paint & a new engine. A tired daily driver would be nice. Since this is LOW budget, I want consider anything over $5k, for now, unless it's some sort of a SUPER good deal.

So, any of you guys know where something like this might be ?

If so, please post here, or Email. Tired of having to empty my PM folder so often.

ba455@outlook.com

Old 06-23-2018, 02:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Car Inspector needed in D/FW area

Need a member to check out a '73 Ventura for me. Ad says it has a 301 that runs good. Pics look OK. Don't know if it's a dud or not. It's a little too far away for me to make a trip just to look.

It's in Highand Village, South of Denton & North of D/FW.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/ct...606675069.html

If anybody can help with this and is willing to do so, please reply. You can also Email me: ba455@outlook.com

Old 07-05-2018, 06:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Went yesterday to look at a '76 Vent. If I'da been lookin for a cheap body to build a low budget bracket car, I'd probably bought it.

But, it came with a vinyl roof, which had caused lots of rust. Had exposed Bondo. The rest of the body looked real solid, inside & out, including the trunk area. Had gray primer. Also nice lookin tires & wheels, smaller fronts, wider rears.

Guy bought it as a Nova. But after looking closer at the title, saw that it is a Pontiac. Has an aftermarket tube grill, and aftermarket dash pad, which has a built-in Chevy bowtie.

He thought it had an 8.5 rear. So, he bought a new Posi & some 3.90 gears, only to discover that it has a 7.5 rear. Has 4-wheel disc brakes.

Anyhow, if anybody lives in the South & might be interested in this car, thought I'd mention it. The asking price is $1800, for the roller. For anyone interested, I can give more info.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe to far away, and slightly overpriced, but have you seen this one in NC?

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/d...643518167.html

78 Catlina Safari, Pontiac 400 powered
77 Astre Formula, 215 Buick V-8 T-5
73 Lemans Safari, 400 4bbl 4-speed
71 Catalina Enforcer, 455 4bbl
06 Mallet Solstice #024 LS2, Now with a Tremec 6060 6-speed!
2012 F-150 Echo Boost (My local Ford Dealer SUX!!!)
2020 Dodge Charger Scat pack (recovered)
Old 07-24-2018, 02:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for posting !

If it was close enuff, I'd definitely take a look. But, it's nearly 900 miles from me & from the shipping quotes I've been getting, would cost about $1000 for shipping. Maybe more, since it don't run. Then there are the front & rear parts that would have to be sourced.

So, all things considered, I can't consider this one.

After I showed TJ some pics of some of the Vents I found online, she said she don't like their looks. Said she likes the '77-'81 Birds. Well, I actually like the '77-'78's real well, myself. But, after looking for many hours online, I've discovered that MOST of the Birds in my price range are either rust buckets, and/or need a complete resto.

Those which have had the easier stuff done are higher than I wanna pay, and still require LOTS of resto skills I don't have. Found some fairly decent cars, ready to drive, But MOST of these have sbc engines and are around $8k-up & will require $500 or more shipping. Plus, I'd have to trust the seller info, or make some long trips, just to look.

Bout ready to give up on a nice street body. Now lookin for a race Bird that has not been TOTALLY gutted, that can be raced in the short term, then I can work on trying to make it streetable, a little along. I've found some completely gutted drag birds for what I consider fairly reasonable prices.

And, there seems to be no shortage of used resto parts for 2nd gen Birds. So, I'm now lookin for a '77-'81 Bird, to build a bracket car, using my 455/TH400. As with any other Pontiac, it would be helpful if the Bird had a 350 or larger Pontiac engine in it. Next best would be a 301 in it.

But, obviously, can use a decent roller, or one with some other engine in it.
So far, MOST of the Birds I've found are '79's with a 403 engine.

So, if any of you guys know of a decent lookin former drag Bird roller, for under 5k, please let me know. Obviously, the more USABLE race parts the car has, the more it would be worth to me.

Here's an example of something that might work if it was closer & just a little cheaper.

https://www.racingjunk.com/Door-Cars...=5&from=search

Here's sorta what I'm lookin for, if it ain't rusted out underneath. But again, I ain't close nuff to take a look, and the shipping would be quite a bit.

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/ct...615384462.html

Last edited by ponyakr; 07-24-2018 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Understood you moved on to other body styles, but I just stumbled on this one, its actually not fare from me.

https://flint.craigslist.org/ctd/d/7...653113244.html

78 Catlina Safari, Pontiac 400 powered
77 Astre Formula, 215 Buick V-8 T-5
73 Lemans Safari, 400 4bbl 4-speed
71 Catalina Enforcer, 455 4bbl
06 Mallet Solstice #024 LS2, Now with a Tremec 6060 6-speed!
2012 F-150 Echo Boost (My local Ford Dealer SUX!!!)
2020 Dodge Charger Scat pack (recovered)
Old 07-26-2018, 04:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, that looks like a real nice one.

But, for me, It would be above my price range, since it's so far away & has a Chevy engine. May or may not have a 7.5 rear end.

Thanks for posting it !