The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 06-14-2020, 11:40 AM

Default Rotisserie WITH the frame still on?

I don't know what it is but when I've ridden in a frame off compared to a non frame off, it seems that the non frame off always rode "better".. I would like to keep the frame on my current project (full frame) but be able to get to the floors, trunk pan, etc. I don't have a lift but have access to a rotisserie. I don't need to spin the car completely over, just need to get it about 45-50 degrees up... In the safest manner.
?

1970 GTO (someday )
Old 06-14-2020, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I wouldn't read too much into that theory. It has more to do with the people who were responsible for taking the car apart and putting it back together. Some people are better than others. Corners get cut, things get overlooked, assembly procedures forgotten, etc. Also depends on what parts were used in the restorations. Not to be smug about it, but I have found in life that most people do not produce work that meets my standards. On the few occasions that I've had professional, highly respected shops work on my cars (track car in particular), I almost always found problems afterward. Sometimes they were major issues that carried huge safety implications.

That said, you can restore a car with the frame still on, but it's going to make life more difficult and take more time.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild

Last edited by ZeGermanHam; 06-14-2020 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-14-2020, 12:18 PM

Thanks Zee.... I know.. I am at that point that the car is "stripped" down to the shell with it still on the frame. The car is from Texas so it only has surface rust- Much like Washington surface rust, which will come off with a gentle day of wire wheeling. My fear is I will try to remove the body bolts and they will strip out or just spin.... I would rather avoid that... want to clean/ paint the floors and trunk, get at the brake/ fuel brackets, etc...

1970 GTO (someday )

Last edited by ged2227; 06-14-2020 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-14-2020, 12:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, I hear ya. Regarding the body mount bolts, you'll probably have to face that risk regardless of whether you decide to remove the body from the frame. If they are the original body mounts, or even older replacements (let's face it, these cars are OLD now), you'll want to replace them all. I had a few spin on me when I took my car apart, but my car was also from Michigan. With a Texas car, you have a much better chance. Just hit 'em with some PB Blaster or similar ahead of time. And if one does spin, it's not the end of the world. You just cut the stud with a sawzall, and then cut an access flap to the cage nuts, which is not typically too hard. You'll need a welder to put it back together, though. But it's all easy work with the right tools.

Old 06-14-2020, 12:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I did my wife’s 65 on a rotisserie with the body on the frame. It’s a convert, so I was kinda worried about taking the body off. I borrowed a rotisserie from a friend. IIRC I got some square tube & welded up a rig that bolted to the frame at the bumper mounts on the frame & hooked it to the rotisserie. It was a homemade deal so I could just weld & cut where I needed. It was really nice for cleaning & striping the underside. I don’t have pics anymore. My computer crashed & I lost them.
I think if I was doing a hardtop now, I would probably take the body off the frame,

Good luck
Murf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 06-14-2020, 03:25 PM

Murf- it's a ragtop

1970 GTO (someday )
Old 06-14-2020, 04:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am far from an expert on this stuff but I was pleased the way it worked for me. I put 3 piece trunk floor in it. I don’t know how putting a 1 piece in there with the body on frame would go. All in all I thought it worked well. Have fun!

Murf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 06-14-2020, 05:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1-piece trunk pans won't go in unless you have the tail panel or a quarter panel fully removed.

Old 06-15-2020, 07:25 PM

Before I did a frame off on my car, I had to lift the body off to change the body bushings. A lot of people have issues with the clearance between trans tail shaft and floor. They often blame the trans mount, cross memeber, mtr mounts etc. It is usually the body bushings have crushed so flat or rotted away completely that the body sits closer to the frame. So if you're not wanting to take the body off for ride quality be sure your mounts are good. Otherwise your ride quality will definitely be bad if you leave the body on.
If it is a ragtop you should weld or bolt supports where the door bolts to the body and where it closes. The difference in poor ride on a frame off example may be due to a tweeked body if it was a ragtop not supported properly.