Old 07-02-2020, 11:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Crossmember holes.

Apparently thru it’s life my car has had a lot of trans in it because there are about 4 non well drilled sets of holes in the frame. The TKO600 position fit a set close enough to one set that I was able to get the bolts thru slightly and I mean oh so slightly angled and get it bolted down. I am gonna get a GForce crossmember and the online instructions say drill bigger holes or if you use factory size bolts use them in grade 8. I want this done right and sturdy and I do not want to make the holes bigger with the current number of holes and their proximity. Would you plug weld the holes and just drill a new set or can I be safe welding a 1/4 plate to the bottom of the rail and drilling thru it? Not worried about appearance, this car will get driven everyday and will be dirty underneath. I am a competent welder.

Old 07-03-2020, 05:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You dont need 1/4". 1/8" will be fine..

Old 07-03-2020, 08:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I use the X-factor cross member that is fully adjustable. You can mount them at any bolt hole location that the frame provides, and then the main section is adjustable fore and aft to any location or transmission you need.

Would have saved you some work.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 07-03-2020, 09:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
I use the X-factor cross member that is fully adjustable. You can mount them at any bolt hole location that the frame provides, and then the main section is adjustable fore and aft to any location or transmission you need.

Would have saved you some work.
Did you get that from American Powertrain? That may be why the one they have is a 100 dollars more expensive

Old 07-03-2020, 10:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like the GForce crossmember comes with bigger than factory bolt holes.

Holes in frame horns are slotted for bumper brackets. The bolts and thick hard washers used for them should work fine for bolting in a crossmember.

Just Thinking
Clay

Old 07-03-2020, 12:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
Did you get that from American Powertrain? That may be why the one they have is a 100 dollars more expensive
Yes it's more expensive, but it saves me headaches, it's lightweight, it has tons of exhaust clearance, and all kinds of adjustability. So worth the extra ~$100.
I was never a big fan of the G force piece.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 07-04-2020, 03:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My '67 frame has about 6 holes per side from the factory, and we ended up drilling one additional set since the front of the bracket lined up but the back did not on our TKO-600 install. The rear cross member is more of a locating member and really carries very little weight or torsional force. The aftermarket GForce crossmember puts the stock crossmember of my 2500 diesel truck to shame. Guess the beefy look helps sell them.