Old 07-06-2020, 10:50 PM

Default Temporary fuel line

'64 389 Tripower, the gas tank is not installed but I want to start the engine. Looking for recommendations for temporary fuel line. Do I need an outboard motor fuel tank or just stuff the fuel line into a 5 gallon gas can? I don't want to post a horror story of what went wrong!!

Old 07-06-2020, 11:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I’ve done both.

My old Jeep has a boat gas tank temporarily permanently installed lol.

I’ve started several engines out of gas cans with rubber line until i installed a real fuel system. A boat tank probably is safer if you don’t mind parting with $30

Just be smart, double check everything. Have a fire extinguisher ready. And have the area around the car clear so if you have to run around you aren’t tripping over stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 07-06-2020, 11:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What fuel pump? Engine-driven? Some rubber fuel hose and a two-gallon gas can would be fine.

Old 07-07-2020, 05:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You also want to prime the center Carb first by pouring some gas into the bowl vent on the top of the Carb until you can wing the Carb open and see a nice shot of gas out of the pump discharge nozzles.

Are you just restating this 389, or breaking it in from a rebuild?

If the Carbs have been rebuilt I always prove out that the needle and seat does its job by turning each Carb upside down and blowing with my Mouth into the fuel inlet.

If you can hear air excaping into the fuel bowl when pressurized by your Mouth, then you are guaranteed to have that Carb flood out on you once the fuel pump builds up enough pressure.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!

Last edited by steve25; 07-07-2020 at 06:01 AM.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've done it many times. Our Z sat for 35 years. Any time I needed to move it I'd stick a 2 gallon gas can on the cowl and run a hose to the carb, let it gravity feed, and drive it around the property, in and out of the trailer etc.... lol

The engine run stand we have here, I just stick a hose in a gas can, break in camshafts or what ever. And had another car with a gas tank issue, dad would start once in a while just to run the engine, again with a hose stuck in a gas can.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 07-07-2020, 09:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's the run stand, just using a gas can and hose.

https://youtu.be/FIYRsDTD_90

Old 07-07-2020, 10:00 AM
Boost Engineer

A guy I knew was burned to death under his car when he had gas leak into a car washing drain that went to his house. Have posted this before. Hooked up a electric pump and the spark lit off the gas and he later died from the burns.

I use a military gas can for fire-ups if on a engine fire-up stand or the fuel system is being worked on. New 3 gallon gas can, drill a hole in the side at the bottom of the can about 1" off the base. Weld or have a buddy weld on a bung or large nut that you can then screw a fuel line nipple to.

Hook up new hose with proper clamps and attach to your fuel pump and you have a safe system. I leave the lid unlatched on the can when flowing fuel and 99% of the time cap the fuel outlet bung and use the can for filling my lawn mower. The military fuel cans (3 gallon) from the army/navy surplus stores are cheap, light to move around and 3 gallons of gas will allow running the engine as long as you need to break the camshaft in.

Tom V.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Military gas can-1_.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	544419   Click image for larger version

Name:	Military gas can-2_.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	544420   Click image for larger version

Name:	Military gas can-3_.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	544421   Click image for larger version

Name:	lawn mower fill hose_.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	544422  

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

something like this?
https://www.ebay.com/i/402139933586?...yABEgKL3_D_BwE

Old 07-07-2020, 10:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a bunch of those too. Use them for filling the lawn equipment. Mainly because I cant stand todays plastic can offering with the stupid osha regulated push to fill nozzles that are a total pain in the ass to use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7050017.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	544423  

Old 07-07-2020, 11:31 AM
Boost Engineer

I refuse to use plastic gas cans today and the Military gas cans will keep the gas fresh thru out the whole winter for the Lawnmower. I have a gas can painted silver for the oil/ gas Snow Blower and the "Bad Boy" snow blower used normal pump gas from the lawn mower cans.

Tom V.

One last comment when you fire up your new engine.
1) Get a new oil drain pan. Before you fire up the engine and shiny re-plated Rochester carbs fill up the drain pan with a inch of water.

2) Take an old Bath towel and get it damp in the "water pan".

3) Now if you have a carb backfire, forget the fire extinguisher, and throw the damp towel over the carbs inlets.

Fire will immediately go out and no real water will get into the engine and especially no fire extinguisher chemicals.

I sacrificed my tee shirt one time when a buddy's high dollar 1967 corvette engine/Holley carb had a carb fire.

So I personally know it works.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 07-07-2020 at 11:40 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2020, 12:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you put an outboard pump bulb coming out of whatever temporary source you use (two gallon pail, military can, outboard tank, whatever) you can prime your carb(s) through the electric or mechanical pump before start up. Been doing this for years on my test stand engine.

Old 07-07-2020, 03:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I use a small gas can (1-5gal) and some rubber hose. Works fine.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 07-07-2020, 11:22 PM

WOW, Thanks for all of the advice! The engine I was referring to is a restart with mechanical fuel pump. In the future there may be a rebuilt engine break-in so all comments and suggestions are noted. Regards!