Old 06-28-2020, 05:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Body mount bushing quality

I noticed the repop body mounts I installed about 20 years ago, on a car that has never been driven, and only had a stripped shell installed on the frame, and was kept indoors 10 years of that time ... already have cracks about 1/4" deep in the smaller of the two donuts, almost every one of them.

Is there a better quality part available now? Other than the stiff poly type?

I can buy the raw material, a medium soft poly (Shore 40A) in 2" OD, 1" ID and attempt to slice them to thickness myself (comes in lengths) if I have to, for about the same price as the repop donuts.

Anyone found a better solution than the repop garbage? If I installed these old ones on a driver they would split apart in a year and I don't want to install a new set of repops that will do the same thing in five years.

I noticed that every one of the kits has the wrong bolts ... they should be flanged head to spread the load on the washer, most of the washers are wrong, with a 1/2" hole instead of 7/16" so I ordered the right type of hardware. Most of the larger donuts seem to be fine, don't see any cracks in them, so I will probably reuse them.

Last edited by dataway; 06-28-2020 at 05:16 AM.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:12 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I find the poly mounts work well FWIW.

Don

Old 06-28-2020, 10:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Rubber ages over time, even if not exposed directly to sunlight or elements. It's not worth replacing just two cracked ones, and keeping the older ones. They won't last long with driving. Replace them all, and go with the poly. You won't notice a ride difference, but they will last longer.

Old 06-28-2020, 08:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The kit i bought from Ames did have the correct fasteners. They are also available from AMK . https://www.amkproducts.com/

Old 06-29-2020, 01:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep I see Ames now sells the correct bolt .... got my set from them 20 years ago, just cheap 7/16 hex heads.

Anyone have a preferred brand of black poly mounts? Would just need the mounts most likely, already have the washers, bolts and metal spacer things.

I didn't have enough things I need to order from AMK, got some Mil-spec black oxide grade 8 bolts, flange head for about $1.50 each ... no point though.

Old 06-30-2020, 05:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm wondering if it would help to wrap the small donuts in electrical tape around the outer rim to protect them from ozone, UV etc.

Old 06-30-2020, 05:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have some original unused mounts and the rubber is fine. Over the years the Rubber farmers have used "GMO" Rubber tree's for faster production. I have noticed tractor tires don't last like ones from 20-30 years ago too.