THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-28-2020, 12:36 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Higher than normal prices?

Looking through eBay and noticed some higher than expected asking prices? I was looking at 66-67 GTO’s specifically because I just finished mine and was curious. What I found is that most 66-67 GTO’s were over 50k for something nice, even GTO clones were 30k.

Any desirable Pontiac seemed high- Early GTO’s, 68-72 GTO’s, first and second gen birds, restomod 70-73 birds are 70-100k range.

Later second gen birds seem to have cooled down some, 3rd and 4th gens seem to be going up.

Anyway- not wanting to get political; we are in a weird time with the pandemic, a probable change in political direction for the country, and more people than ever working from home with uncertainty about their employment.

Yet I am seeing some of the highest asking prices I have seen in a long time?

Maybe these people are dreaming? Maybe people are hurting and some high end cars are making their way to the market? Maybe I am wrong on what these cars are worth?

I know that this site tends value cars lower than others and I think that’s because people here really (REALLY) know what they are looking at where others don’t.

Anyone have any thoughts on it?

Old 11-28-2020, 01:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Fed's easy money policy is causing inflation all around Low interest rates - there's no houses even for sale, everything is sold.

Old 11-28-2020, 09:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Was musical chairs with physicsl assets (homes, cars, RVs, Beer Cans...). Music stopped, hopefully paused.

Old 11-28-2020, 09:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been looking for over a month and was aghast at what people are asking on ebay and craigslist. Even for a clapped out hunk of junk, never mind a decent driver. Even more shocking was watching these cars sell. I had my eye on 10 different vehicles across North America and they all sold. I was lucky, though. I did find a car.

Old 11-28-2020, 09:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

66sprint6, congratulations on finding a car! I read this thread and then I went to the 'goodbye' thread and saw that you got a new car. Maybe I missed it? Details? Is it a '66? Are you going to clone your sprint? I'm glad you found a car. Inquiring minds want to know!

Old 11-28-2020, 09:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This is happening with all kinds of things right now. But very noticeable with used cars. Started with the mfg shutdowns causing shortages & then the demand going up & companies as well as independents taking full advantage of the demand. People in general have been enjoying a strong economy & many have a little extra money they can spend. Nice 2-3 year old vehicles are off the charts. many of them priced 10-20% higher than what they would have been worth 12 months ago. I think things will settle down once things correct themselves with supply & demand, but one thing is for sure, the prices of things will doubtfully ever get back to where they were 12 months ago. The big price jumps on things in demand just turns into inflation when it settles down. Prices go 3 steps forward & 2 steps back. To Getmygoats point, Sure Can't throw Trillions into the economy without it showing its effects. We'll all pay for it, but maybe not realize where we are spending more.

Extra ice in your beverage seems fine at first, that is until the ice melts.

Many people have been watching where the prices have been with used cars & how people have been spending money this year. I Also think that draws out people that would not be selling otherwise. Throw their cars, or other toys for sale & see if they can make bank while its crazy out there. So, so inexpensive to put something for sale at any price you want now days. Often thats the "not for sale" price, but will sell if somebody wants to give me "this" much....... Then its monkey see monkey do, & the asking prices start climbing. Thats been going on with classic cars since the internet became the market place. We have access to cars we would never find in the local news paper 25 years ago, but the price that has to be paid has changed along with it.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 11-28-2020, 10:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest1964 View Post
66sprint6, congratulations on finding a car! I read this thread and then I went to the 'goodbye' thread and saw that you got a new car. Maybe I missed it? Details? Is it a '66? Are you going to clone your sprint? I'm glad you found a car. Inquiring minds want to know!

Yes, I'll update the other thread. I didn't want to jinx it too much with the details and we havent actually received the car yet, but we did send the payment and should be good.

The Following User Says Thank You to 66sprint6 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2020, 10:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I haven't noticed any prices going up on classic cars.

Actually what would be more accurate to say is that I never saw prices drop or get cheaper, least not out here anyway. Maybe some parts of the country saw a price drop but out here classic cars have been expensive, and continue to be.

You really can't even get into a base model "anything" with a clean body for less than $25-$30k around here. Let alone a "real" muscle car with some bones. Been that way for a long time.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 11-28-2020, 10:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I remember when spending over 10K on a classic car was a lot of cash. Was not all that long ago either. late 1990's? By the early 2K's they were starting to climb quickly. Would be interesting to look at the very early classic car auction price lists if there is an archive of those somewhere.
Anybody have a mecum auction on VHS?

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
89 Trans am GTA
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 68ragtop For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2020, 11:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The last era I remember cars being cheap is the 80's back when I was buying stuff that I still have today. Seems after the 80's prices slowly climbed and never really looked back. I think that was the first real surge after the gas crisis of the 70's where it became apparent muscle cars were going to be collectable.

Old 11-28-2020, 11:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68ragtop View Post
I remember when spending over 10K on a classic car was a lot of cash. Was not all that long ago either. late 1990's? By the early 2K's they were starting to climb quickly. Would be interesting to look at the very early classic car auction price lists if there is an archive of those somewhere.
Anybody have a mecum auction on VHS?
Could go back further.

I think Mecum started in the late 80's, after the muscle car surge in prices was well under way.

Go back into the early 70's when BJ started and 60's muscle cars weren't even on the map. They were still making good money with pre war vehicles. Later in the 70's and early 80's you saw more 50's and 60's muscle appear. Some of those prices might be eye opening compared to today. What's interesting is that they still do a large number of prewar vehicles today and the good stuff still commands a premium price.

Old 11-28-2020, 11:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Some of US should post what what we paid for the cars we have in the 80-90's I think it would be interesting. I can tell you I see cars with asking prices & some selling at numbers that are easily 3X what I paid for my cars. Ihave zero regrets buying what I have in my tiny collection. I never dreamed back then they would get to the prices they are now. I was at a point in life where I had extra money & no kids yet. Online stuff was coming out & auto trader magazine was on my coffee table every saturday morning. I have my cars because I like them & because each one has a nostalgic memory for me. I am glad I am not loosing money on them, but would rather if it was still a buyers market & more of them were affordable. It was never, ever intended to be an investment for me & now I would not pay the price for the cars on my short list that I would still like to own. Maybe that will change someday, but right now I Just can't mentally bring myself to do that.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
89 Trans am GTA
Old 11-28-2020, 11:20 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Inflation is a really good point- I didn’t expect to see it this soon honestly.

Also- is it possible with uncertainty in the economy people are wanting to put their $$ into something real rather than traditional investments? A counter to this is that the stock market is doing well which I always felt ran inversely to the collector car market.

Old 11-28-2020, 11:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68ragtop View Post
Some of US should post what what we paid for the cars we have in the 80-90's I think it would be interesting. I can tell you I see cars with asking prices & some selling at numbers that are easily 3X what I paid for my cars. Ihave zero regrets buying what I have in my tiny collection. I never dreamed back then they would get to the prices they are now. I was at a point in life where I had extra money & no kids yet. Online stuff was coming out & auto trader magazine was on my coffee table every saturday morning. I have my cars because I like them & because each one has a nostalgic memory for me. I am glad I am not loosing money on them, but would rather if it was still a buyers market & more of them were affordable. It was never, ever intended to be an investment for me & now I would not pay the price for the cars on my short list that I would still like to own. Maybe that will change someday, but right now I Just can't mentally bring myself to do that.
I can't bring myself to do that either. You should hear my father talk about it, LOL. He bought his 69 GTO new for $3400 and still has it. Now he looks at prices and just shakes his head. Prices have just gradually climbed for decades. They seem to have fluctuated here and there the last few years but the general trend is still going up. Especially for cars that are originally 4 speed and solid lifter. Those will always be the top of the heap.

Agree, they were never investments for me either. We have them because we enjoy them, drive them, work on them, restore them, just have a passion for them. Some of them are now 6 figure cars when fully restored and I just can't wrap my head around that at all. To me they are still fun hotrods.

Old 11-28-2020, 12:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It may seem like yesterday, but don't forget 1980 was 40 years ago.

Old 11-28-2020, 02:59 PM
Senior Chief

I had been shopping for a car since the summer of 2019. Everything I had my eye on sold in the beginning of the pandemic. People were sitting home with nothing to do but shop on the internet. Everything I looked at sold fast and went for top money. Sales definitely have slowed and sellers will come off asking prices now. In September I did pick up a nice 67 Firebird convertible. I think there was a lot of internet purchases where people didn’t receive the cars they thought they bought. I think a lot of these cars will hit the market again and prices will fall.

Old 11-28-2020, 04:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I struggle with the prices of some of these cars, but it does let me feel better about spending money on them!

I do feel bad for the people that truly love them that were not able to get in at the right time. Deals are still out there but they are few and far between. In 2016? I paid $6500 for my rust free 66 GTO with a 400 In it and in 2014 I paid $5000 for a 68 LeMans convertible with 70k miles that only needed tlc to be enjoyed. I obviously got better deals in the 90’s but these felt more relevant.

I have been looking for a 70 Charger and was offered ‘a deal’ on a project for $25k from a friend- and it was a deal! A nice 68-70 Charger is $50k for a driver

Old 11-28-2020, 05:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Our favored cars were so much more practical when we could find all the parts in the junkyard. I miss the junkyard supply for our cars.

So, practical has become much more a financial decision, leading to higher prices.

Old 11-28-2020, 05:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Serious question. What would “average “ pricing be for a 71 firebird restomod? I’m not talking about a concourse deal but one done pretty darn good?
Huge amount of missing specifics I get it, just curious. See pic and signature for the basics. have been out of the loop for several years but 3-4 years ago it seemed number correct was king and any amount of money you put into a base model restomod was lost.
Mostly curious but thinking about pulling my 71 (espirit) Formula restomod out of the storage bag and selling bc I don’t drive it.
Figured since the topic came up I would see what opinions were.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F1551EE3-F57D-46DE-B5C6-74A3A5F180EC.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	554957  

236 244@ .050 108 LSA .511 lift, duration 289,297 @.oo6
Edelbrock Aluminum 87cc round port heads Larger valves ,ported polished and cut
Powerjection3,T2 manifold, Try-y’s
Flowcooler water pump.
71 formula with TKO600,hydraulic clutch 3.42 posi and 26 inch tire.
17x9 YO Honeycombs with Nitto 555's

Last edited by lfdsteve; 11-28-2020 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-28-2020, 06:57 PM
Senior Chief

Look how long they stay for sale. There is a Mercury on ebay that has been for sale almost two years. I look every day.