THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-10-2021, 09:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta6point6 View Post
The LS motors in GM vehicles have finally been gaining the reputation they deserve. Toyata has been living off of name only for years, same old tired engines and design. Honestly any domestic truck is Better than these foreign imposters. Supply and demand
Same old engines ? The LS has been around since the late 90s.
I’ve seen Toyota’s take plenty of abuse off road and go over 500,000 miles and do so without failing a couple transmissions, alternators, fuel pumps or starters.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
The Following User Says Thank You to 455Grandville For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2021, 09:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe it's time to sell the 64 convertible with the added incentive, "No chips required".

Old 07-10-2021, 09:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is a perfect storm for all the automakers, GM included. As a buyer, new or used, I would not pull the trigger right now unless you have no choice at all. Keep your old truck or car running and wait his blip out. Super tight supply of new and used inventory, cheap money available for almost everyone, (interest rates) = very high sale prices new or used. You can get a 10 year loan on a new car or truck! That's longer than most of them will last. Will the prices come way back down? I doubt it, but you will have more choices as inventory improves and people trade in used vehicles to buy them.

Old 07-11-2021, 11:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

kind of what I was wondering. If GM & others can provide the amount of trucks needed, there should be far more buyers than usual because of the cheap money & the fact that so many new truck buyers are waiting this out. If GM can not keep up, then they will likely stay at invoice prices & the used market will still be thin pickings.

But, if they can get back to the way it was 2 years ago & above, they will sell a ton of new trucks & we should see competitive incentives again. Or at least thats my hope. I am just not buying into the chip shortage thing being the only problem. Hard to believe all these mfgs can't influence that production, or do something to get what they need. If they are that powerless, its scary to think what other countries can do to us at will. But I guess we are already seeing some of that as we speak.

Once production ramps up, I hope the used market is restored and prices get a little closer to what they were. Just not sure it will go back as fast as it got to were it is now, but thats how all that stuff goes. All the bean counters are trying to figure out how to capitalize the best they can.

I was do for a new truck about 2 years ago & almost pulled the trigger on a couple different 2019's because I was not on board with the look of the 2020's Now I wish I would have. If I didn't use my truck so much, I would cut it loose & wait until things settle down. No question there are a lot of people trying to do that right now.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 07-11-2021, 12:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta6point6 View Post
The LS motors in GM vehicles have finally been gaining the reputation they deserve. Toyata has been living off of name only for years, same old tired engines and design. Honestly any domestic truck is Better than these foreign imposters. Supply and demand
I agree 100%. But you can't say that to a Toyota chest pounder.

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 07-11-2021, 12:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Manufacturing is down right now, my nephew sells kubota tractors and they can't get new ones in to sell right now. Our machine shop has long delays on material. Appliances and furniture have longer delivery times. It's just the way it is right now.

Old 07-11-2021, 06:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

While I don;t want to dig deep into the brand debate, I will say that Toyota has way better sheet metal prep than GM. Up here in the rust belt, every GM truck will be rusty, if not rusted through by the time its 8-10 years old. Each generation seems to have their problem areas. the 2008-2013 being one of the worst imo. rockers & box sides falling off of them including the one I have now. Just about every 2nd generation 2500HD around here has wheel well flairs hiding the bubbling up rust problem. Toyotas not so much. While I have always had GM trucks, my wife has been driving a 2007 toyota avalon that is still rust free. we had a 2000 4runner before that & the same thing, Rust free.

The tundra had some rusting frame issues, But I have a friend with a 2007 tundra he bought new & the body panels are still rust free. I love my GM's, but there's no question toyota sheet metal is way less corrosive than GM. My current Silverado was rusting at 5 years old. Its getting pretty bad now & I keep it clean & in the garage most of the time. I usually get rid of them at the first sign of rust & that was 2 years ago. Now its pretty bad. Hence the reason I started this thread, been wanting to buy a new, or slightly used truck, but I waited too long.

It's hard to imagine paying $70-80K for another one seeing it will likely rust out in 5-8 years. Most of you South, or west of the rust belt don't have to worry about that much & I am very jealous of you guys.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
89 Trans am GTA
Old 07-11-2021, 06:53 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
This is a perfect storm for all the automakers, GM included. As a buyer, new or used, I would not pull the trigger right now unless you have no choice at all. Keep your old truck or car running and wait his blip out. Super tight supply of new and used inventory, cheap money available for almost everyone, (interest rates) = very high sale prices new or used. You can get a 10 year loan on a new car or truck! That's longer than most of them will last. Will the prices come way back down? I doubt it, but you will have more choices as inventory improves and people trade in used vehicles to buy them.
Yeah, things are crazy right now, and I never understood why people are flocking to buy these expensive trucks. Salesman at Dodge dealer near me said that they can't get enough of the top of the line Laramie diesel trucks in stock because there is such a high demand for them.

It didn't make sense to me how people are buying these still until I refinanced my house to get lower interest and reduced term. While signing the papers, the guy from the title company stated how he was surprised I wasn't pulling any money out of my home. He said that nearly every refinance that he has done, people were bragging about the new new trucks, boats, motorcycles, or vacation that they were going to get with the "equity" that they were pulling out of their home.

I have a feeling that this "cheap" money is going to backfire on lots of people when the overpriced stuff that they bought suddenly isn't worth what they paid for it...

Old 07-11-2021, 06:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I’ve never understood buying a new vehicle in the rust belt just for it to rust out. I always thought the smart play would be to buy a 6 yr old truck from the south, then drive it for a few years and sell it- I would imagine it would be easy and profitable because it wouldn’t have any rust and would be desirable.

My dad has a 2007 Equinox in Dayton OH that he drives daily with no rust but I’m sure it doesn’t see the use a truck would either.

Old 07-11-2021, 07:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
I’ve never understood buying a new vehicle in the rust belt just for it to rust out. I always thought the smart play would be to buy a 6 yr old truck from the south, then drive it for a few years and sell it- I would imagine it would be easy and profitable because it wouldn’t have any rust and would be desirable.

My dad has a 2007 Equinox in Dayton OH that he drives daily with no rust but I’m sure it doesn’t see the use a truck would either.

People talk about our stuff rotting out in a few years up here, but if you oil/cosmoline them they last virtually forever.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 72projectbird For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2021, 09:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I could go ahead and get any new pickup that I wanted. But I'm sorry, I guess that you'll have to add me to the Toyota chest pounding club. My truck is bulletproof at over 200,000 miles. It's lived a hard life. No major repairs, and no payment since 2011. My loyalty is earned, not bought and expressed. The very fact that I don't even have to look for another truck says it all.
If it does die, I would look at GM again. The styling is good, too bad you have to get the more HD one to get the brutish looks. The new Yukons and Suburbans look really hot to me. I'm assuming that they make a different product than the one that made me look elsewhere in 2007.

The Following User Says Thank You to 66sprint6 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2021, 10:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, used cars prices have really jumped. I was looking at Jeep GC Laredos online this afternoon. For base 2000 to 2004 Cherokees, nothing fancy, with 180,000 to well over 230,000 and one over 300,000 miles, prices were around $3995 and a couple a bit over $4300. Mine has more options and 180,090 miles on it with a hitch, and I only paid $2995 last January.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 07-12-2021, 08:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This week wholesale used vehicles declined, and Ford said they now have the chips to put thousands of stored trucks on the market.

Things will go back to normal soon, the vehicle pipeline is at least a year long, what we see now are the results of conditions a year or more in the past.

Used truck prices are currently driven by businesses that HAVE to have a replacement vehicle but can't get a new one so they will pay just about anything for a used one ... as they don't have a choice if they want to stay in business.

Old 07-12-2021, 08:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Def hard to find a decent used truck right now. I have been looking for about 6 months and it seems every month the prices keep going up. The only good thing is Im hoping that it makes my truck worth more. I have an 06 f150 with 260k mi. Wont pass local emission is the reason I need to get rid of it. I am original owner and the truck runs great, has always been in a garage and is in fantastic shape for working construction its whole life. I really hate to get rid of it, but I also didnt think I wanted to put 3-5K into the motor or a new motor. After seeing whats out there for stupid money I may end up going that route. As far as new stuff, I suppose I am stuck in the 80's both mentally and financially as I cant fathom spending upwards of 100k for a truck (or car for that matter). I top out at about 30k and to me that is ridiculous. I cant see the sense in working my but off to make a $800+ payment every month to some bank so I can be seen in a shiny new 4 wheel drive.

Old 07-12-2021, 08:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just heard on the news that GM, Ford & Chrysler are shutting down production for another 2 weeks because of continued chip shortage. Not the news I wanted to hear.

Maybe GM should make IC Chips. Sounds like there is a demand for them.
Just a thought......

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
89 Trans am GTA
Old 07-12-2021, 09:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Yeah, used cars prices have really jumped. I was looking at Jeep GC Laredos online this afternoon. For base 2000 to 2004 Cherokees, nothing fancy, with 180,000 to well over 230,000 and one over 300,000 miles, prices were around $3995 and a couple a bit over $4300. Mine has more options and 180,090 miles on it with a hitch, and I only paid $2995 last January.
I have been driving 99-04 Grand Cherokees with 4.0L engines as daily drivers for about 8 years now. Absolute bullet proof mechanicals having racked up about 500,000 miles on them. But big, big rusters here in the midwest. As you said, they have gone up in price over the last 2 years about 2K for vehicles in equivalent condition. A really nice one, if you can find one, with less than 150K miles will be 4500.00-5000.00 Still worth it IMO. 2005-2010 models are crap unfortunately. Then they got decent again.

Old 07-12-2021, 10:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...tors-delivery/

Most of the current news I'm seeing is the chip shortage is easing. But the news is all over the place, plants idling, plants not idling, chips coming, chips not coming.

I put off my new truck purchase till all the nonsense goes away.

Last edited by dataway; 07-12-2021 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-12-2021, 10:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...tors-delivery/

Most of the current news I'm seeing is the chip shortage is easing. But the news is all over the place, plants idling, plants not idling, chips coming, chips not coming.

I put off my new truck purchase till all the nonsense goes away.
This is what I think a lot of people are doing. I think the demand will stay high even if GM can get back to where they were pre-covid because of it.
So will that keep the prices high in both the new & used? I would imagine so.

Until the lots all have normally inventory & its adjusted by incentives, I don't know if anything will change.
But I will just hope that it recovers soon, rather than drag out for years.

Maybe when the USA sent 2.5 million doses of the vaccine to Taiwan last month they should have bartered for more chip production??

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
89 Trans am GTA
Old 07-12-2021, 11:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I see high end "Platinum" and such 4WD crew cab being used as construction trucks and wonder how a business affords the 30-50K price jump from single cab 'Work Truck" to whazzoo high end, endless options, pearl paint wonders. I remember when the work rig was called "The Crummy".

The Following User Says Thank You to bird72 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2021, 11:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There are tax write-offs available for business owners on their trucks, where it can actually make sense to get a more expensive model. Here's an article that explains it: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/he...kup-2016-05-17