Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-25-2021, 05:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Possible world record for a bumper boyz bumper

LOL, cant remember when i got this, but it has to be at least 17 yrs old, today i go to clean it and about a 8 inch chunk of chrome came off the bumper while wiping.

Good thing is you cant see it while looking at it, you have to be under the car to see it........im thinking of throwing on some paint so it wont rust...........any other idea untill i get it re-chromed...........i wont be laughing when i get that bill.

Just odd this bumper always looked great, wonder how long this was going on untill i rubbed it the wrong way.

Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chrome gone (2).JPG
Views:	384
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	571946   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chrome gone (1).JPG
Views:	361
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	571947  

Old 08-25-2021, 06:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You clearly did not request "High speed chrome"

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 694.1 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2021, 06:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

From my experience with their products this does not surprise me.

A poor man has poor ways.
Old 08-25-2021, 08:11 PM
Senior Chief

Got screwed from them. Sent my originals and got back junk. Stay away.

Old 08-26-2021, 02:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

S&H Plating in Madison TN

Old 08-26-2021, 04:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My Dad got skrewed by them also
we took in beautiful 49 chev grill and full bumpers with tips and front n trunk guards
door handles and bumper n fender tips hood ornament and misc .... engraved his name on the back of many of the parts...
only got 2 items back with his name on them ...out of a dozen plus
hammered up junk bumpers returned to him .. grille was peeling already when we unwrapped at the show...and was a weldedup
piece of scrap ...
we were pissed ,,, had pictures of the items with his engraving on them showed them when we dropped them off at the swap meet
showed em when we picked em up ... they said there was some mix up ... DUH !!
they wouldnt do anything for my Dad ...
so I stood by their booth for 5 hours telling and talking to anyone who would listen about how we were treated
and the krap we got back ,,, I heard many a story .... we cost them thousands and thousands in sales that day
finally they just gave my dad the parts and asked/told us to leave...
we took the parts and left,,,
I came back an hour later and the next day yah it was sunday and much slower,,, and did the same thing,,,,
told anyone that would listen or walk up to their booth or was there to pick up their items to unwrap em
several were very unpleased with the job done... only a couple were happy ,,,
that was 15 years ago ....
they see me at swap meets and walk by my booth and just hang around intimidating me....then wander off
then send some of their kronies over to do the same ....
what weasles...
after a couple years they left me alone .... the lady is a bee itch

Scott T

Old 08-26-2021, 07:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Had 2 1971 Firebird bumpers done by " The Boyz" . That was in 2002. One was great, other had the de~Lamination.
They don't use the expensive 3 step process.

Old 08-26-2021, 09:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks guys, checked into a few rechroming places, around $1100, wow, anyone get a bumper from ames, they had a few in stock, $489..........im assuming this are the same ones that the "Parts Place" sell...........which already makes me nervous with the junk i got from them. lol

Place up in Minn, Keystone is 30 week out.

Rich

Old 08-26-2021, 10:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtorich View Post
im thinking of throwing on some paint so it wont rust...........
If you do that you're already doing better than the 'boyz did on it.

It's hard to find a chroming place anymore, you have to take what you can get. Contrary to popular opinion, it's not solely the EPA that took away the chrome plate shops - OEMs haven't done high end chrome on cars in decades and the trucks barely do it anymore either. Demand just isn't there like 60-70 years ago.

Old 08-26-2021, 12:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

be careful wiping that...peeling chrome is razor sharp and the cuts are very painful for their size.

The Following User Says Thank You to F ROCK For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2021, 12:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm surprised that they have been in business this long. I have a few small peels around my bumper holes. They were already replated, in '85, when I bought the car. They look great otherwise.

Old 08-26-2021, 02:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by F ROCK View Post
be careful wiping that...peeling chrome is razor sharp and the cuts are very painful for their size.
I hear you there brother, didnt event notice it untill my finger was bleeding all over the place.

Just wondering if anyone has used the repo bumper from the usual places.......if there looking decent, much cheaper to go this route.

I know you get what you pay for, thinking im only gonna have the car another 2-3, years have had it for 20 some now.........just seems a waste to throw on something that expensive for this short time.

Thanks

Rich

Old 08-29-2021, 04:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Probably better off these days to buy a cheap repo bumper to install.

Most of the restorations I've done here have been 50/50. Some are repo chrome and some insist we send out the chrome to be done.

The problem in the last 10 years, and this is straight from the platers, is the EPA has gotten so strict, that we are down to only 2 platers I'm aware of in the metro area. 15 years ago we had 6 or 7. The 1 plater I use also has raised prices to astronomical levels. Did a 61 vette and literally had a handful of small pieces to chrome that wouldn't fill the trunk of a VW. That bill was $4000. That was 5-6 years ago. Prices are higher now. So lately, repo chrome has been the go to and most people are happy with that, as long as it's available.

Another option I have is using a little mexican guy that comes to the Phoenix swap meets. He gathers up stuff and takes it to Mexico where he can plate things cheap without the EPA hassle, and passes on the savings to the customer. Pretty nice chrome bumpers for $150-$200 that would normally cost me $1500 or more. The only problem is if you have parts to send, sometimes they all don't make it back across the border. Ran into that problem with a 65 Comet Cyclone I restored, and a lot of trim for that car isn't reproduced so needless to say that was a problem. But if you can find him at a swap meet with the OEM bumpers already done sitting there for sale, you're golden. That's how I prefer to buy from him anymore. If he doesn't have what I need done on the shelf, I move on.

Some of the repop stuff isn't all that bad though. I've done a few bumpers that way as well as small trim and had good results.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE