Old 03-02-2018, 02:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Window crank handles

This is probably a dumb question, but what is the correct color for the knob on the window crank handle. 1970 Judge, Black interior. The knob doesn’t spin on the two front ones in my car and I was going to look in Ames for new ones. The ones on the car appear to have been ‘clear’. Is that right? If somebody changed them, they changed all four of them at some point in the car’s life.

Also, are these crank handles Pontiac specific? Do ones from a Chevelle match?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-02-2018, 04:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

69-70 window crank knobs are a translucent gold color. I believe they we universal across GM at that time with a few exceptions like the rears on F bodies that look very similar but have a more angled handle to clear trim moldings.

Later NOS GM cranks had colorless clear knobs but this isn't correct

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
Old 03-02-2018, 05:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks. Are these reproduced? All I saw in the Ames catalog were clear or black

Old 03-02-2018, 06:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They were clear when new. Age has turned them to a light gold color but they were clear when new.
When you find a nice survivor with no miles they are clear,the more beat up the car the golder they are. On a real gem they become amber. Lol

Old 03-02-2018, 06:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have 4 NOS ones in the gm box dated from 70 but I paid 400.00 dollars for them years ago.
Originals are pricey. If you look around real hard you can find some original ones

Old 03-02-2018, 06:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram4king View Post
They were clear when new. Age has turned them to a light gold color but they were clear when new.
When you find a nice survivor with no miles they are clear,the more beat up the car the golder they are. On a real gem they become amber. Lol
this was what I previously suspected, but if I recall correctly, there was another thread here which was quite clear in them originally NOT being clear...

I am not saying you're wrong, only that this is what I used to think was correct.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 03-04-2018, 10:12 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerboy View Post
Thanks. Are these reproduced? All I saw in the Ames catalog were clear or black

They are reproduced, but as usual the repo's are junk. They won't stay on, the clips are no good....just the normal things with repos's.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

ok thanks. I guess i'll start the search...

Old 03-04-2018, 09:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

if the part number or the casting number starts with 200 or 20 its a service piece..should start with a 97 ...for the early cars..

200s/20s lay very flat against the door panels..id use them before id buy any repop stuff..they are for Gbody's and chevy/GM impalas..anything 74 and up...pickups etc and are real clear...i mean clear..or black..never seen another color...but havent seen everything either...20037597 is pne of the most common number they are wrong for a resto but work for a service piece..clear is later..its been discussed over and over on every board i am a member of..

side by side its night and day, they even look diff on the side you see because of the angles..once you see it..you can pick it out in pics..

ive had a few dozen older NOS cranks..always in boxes..always stored correctly and none have been really "clear"... close..but not really, in my opinion...but i'm no expert

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 03-05-2018, 08:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Its been a while, but I think I was successful in buying new handles which where really poorly made, with loose fitting splines and crappy clips. My chrome handles where nice and I just wanted to freshen up the look of the handle. I think I was able to pinch the metal that holds the rubber part of the handle .( looks like rivet), and put the new rubber part of the handle onto mine and tap them with a punch to re secure them.. That way the handles look newer and freshened up but still have some GM integrity. Just a thought. they are cheap enough to experiment with. Like I said it was some time ago so I don't really remember exactly what I had to do to make it work, but it did work.