Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-27-2021, 10:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default PCV system

Our '67 LeMans came with a '74 400 engine installed in it. It's got the PCV valve in the front of the valley pan with the hose running from it, to the carb base. Shouldn't there be an air intake point for the PCV system somewhere? The motor runs great, but it sure is a hodge-podge of parts. I don't know enough to determine if this is an open or closed system. But I know that it can blow your dipstick out of the tube if it's not working properly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2950.jpg
Views:	2003
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	561701  

Old 02-27-2021, 11:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, that plug in your passenger side valve cover can be replaced with either a breather or a tube running to your air cleaner and a filter installed in the air cleaner as the factory did.

71 Formula 433, Splayed cap 400 block, 4" stroke Scat forged crank, 6.8 Eagle rods, custom Autotec pistons. SD 295 KRE D ports, Old faithful hybrid roller, Torker II, Holley Sniper Stealth, Tribal Tubes, TKO 600, 3.73 Eaton posi.
Old 02-28-2021, 04:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

PCV valve purpose is to only remove oil vapor for emission purposes and is not designed to vent built up pressures. With both valve covers blocked your engine is effectively plugged.

Old 02-28-2021, 10:13 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yeah definitely needs to be vented. Also it looks like your thermostat housing is turned around backwards.

Old 02-28-2021, 10:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, your water outlet IS backwards and worse then that it looks like it’s pinching off that hose!

Also fuel line as it looks like in this photo is not PCV hose since when it’s hot vacuum can suck it closed.
You need either a breather in the passenger valve cover or better yet the original tube plumbed to the air cleaner.
This original tube to the air cleaner vents the crankcase at high throttle openings when there is little to no engine vacuum to work the PCV system, but there is vacuum above the Carb at those times.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 02-28-2021, 11:17 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lust4speed View Post
PCV valve purpose is to only remove oil vapor for emission purposes and is not designed to vent built up pressures. With both valve covers blocked your engine is effectively plugged.
That is not exactly true.

Rarely do you have a completely sealed Piston Ring Package installed on a race engine and never on a production engine.

This means that combustion gases, (from the Power Strokes of the engine) leak past the rings and enter the oil pan. The combustion gases are very corrosive.

Henry ford figured out (with his engineers doing all of the work) that his engines did not last very long in service due to these corrosive gases.
That is when they came up with a "Road Draft Tube system to remove the corrosive gases in the oil pan and valve cover(s) as the engine was going down the road.

The systems worked well except they put these corrosive gases into the earth's atmosphere. Not a big deal in the early days of the Motor cars but a bad deal in the cities as far as pollution of the air in cities of large size like
Las Angeles, Chicago, Detroit, and New York. In a farm community in South Dakota you probably would never have a issue in your lifetime.
BUT THE CORROSIVE GASES NEED TO BE REMOVED FROM THE ENGINE CRANKCASE SYSTEM OR THE DURABILITY OF THE ENGINE PARTS IS REDUCED.

In the farm community you could get away with a road draft system like the 1950s cars had. Still can see the crankcase breather/oil fill tube at the front of the engine on a 55 Chevy engine. The road draft tube is hidden at the back of the engine.

Yes it does remove oil vapor, but the oil vapor has corrosive gases mixes with it in the crankcase and that is what needs to be removed to achieve high mileage engine durability. Henry's old engines, I was told, might last 15,000 miles in service but many owners did not have a car/engine that ever achieved high levels of driving distance. When the interstate system was opened up with actual roads vs trails across the farm lands that all changed.

Tom V.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	road draft tube system inlet.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	561731  

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 12:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.

A "gas" hose is perfectly fine for the PCV valve. If Pontiac used one from factory, you can too. You may shorten yours some though.
The fuel hose should be shortened and routed in front of the thermostat housing (needs to be turned as said before) and kept away from engines hot parts.

Also, there can never be vacuum above the carburetor, only atmospheric pressure, which on its way into the void (vacuum) below the throttle plates draws the crankcase fumes to combustion.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Principle of automotive engines, PCV1.docx.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	561737  

http://gtoaa.org/
Old 02-28-2021, 12:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My old Chevy 409s had a road draft tube out the back of the intake with a big baffle system riveted to bottom of intake.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 02-28-2021, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Excuse me, I should have used the term pressure differential to make my discription more pleasing to some here!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 02-28-2021, 02:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the info, guys. I figured that there was somethng needed to allow air in, but I didn't think that it would be a push in breather in '74.
Here's the air cleaner that came on the engine. Who knows if it even belongs to the engine, which of course has an aftermarket intake anyways. But in looking at the housing, there is an inlet for a PCV hose. But it looks like there's just a little rubber insert to direct flow. In any event, is it always oriented to the passenger side? And what's the configuration at the valve cover? A grommet with a hose or a push in cap that looks like the breather that the hose attaches to?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2975.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	561762   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2976.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	561763   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2977.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	561764   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2978.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	561765  

Old 02-28-2021, 03:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Grommet hole in air cleaner doesn't have anything to do with the PCV. This is where the vent tube we mentioned earlier terminates from the valve covers. Since '67 engines did not have the pre-heat hose coming from the exhaust manifold and this air cleaner snorkel has the fitting for the large hose, I'd say that it did come off the '74.

A few years back I sold a '70 SBC 327/350 block that still had the casting hole for the draft tube at the rear of the block but was closed off with an expansion plug from Chevy. Surprised me that Chevy was too lazy or cheap to clean up their molds seven or eight years after they stopped using draft tubes. One of the really good ideas was getting rid of the draft tube. If you watch early movies of the freeways in Los Angeles you can see quite a black ugly buildup in the center of the lanes. I remember riding motorcycle in the 60's and learned really quick that the center of the lane was a slip and slide because of all the crap coming out of that tube. Still SOP today to stay out of the center, but not nearly as bad.

Old 02-28-2021, 03:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So I've been doing some research since I started this thread and found the parts needed to put it back to factory. In doing so, it seems that this air cleaner base is from a '77-'81 Trans Am with the 403 Olds engine or similar It's just missing the part on the end of the snorkle for the fresh air hose.

https://www.firebirdcentral.com/Prod...tCode=ENC-2457

https://www.chicagomusclecarparts.co...77-79-trans-am.

I'm wondering if the grommet will fit the valve cover on this engine, though. Like I said: hodge-podge.

Old 02-28-2021, 03:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

......A few years back I sold a '70 SBC 327/350 block that still had the casting hole for the draft tube at the rear of the block but was closed off with an expansion plug from Chevy. Surprised me that Chevy was too lazy or cheap to clean up their molds seven or eight years after they stopped using draft tubes.......

Just an FYI

Chevy wasn't too lazy or cheap to change the mold. That draft tube location was still used in some applications with a fitting and PCV valve installed in that draft tube location up through 1970. Some other applications plugged it when the PCV was put in the oil fill tube at the front of the engine.
Wasn't until late 69-ish when the 010 block started circulating that went away and started using a different PCV setup.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 02-28-2021, 05:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Thermal Air Cleaner

What you have there is a thermal air cleaner. If you install it with all the correct
pieces you have other things to check to ensure it works as designed. In the snout of the air cleaner there is a flap valve controlled by the temp sensor and a
a vacuum solenoid. On cold start up warm air passing over the exhaust manifold is fed to the carburetor from the under side of the snout. This enables a leaner choke setting. As the engine heats up the temp sensor warms and allows vacuum to be applied to the vacuum motor on top of the snout. This opens the front entrance to the air cleaner snout while simultaneously shutting off the warm air feed. If these components are not hooked up and operating correctly
the engine could be fed hot air only , heated by the exhaust manifold. That is, the flap in the air cleaner does not open. I have seen cars scrapped or donated that would not pass smog check solely because the air cleaner was not operating correctly.

Old 02-28-2021, 05:44 PM
Suspended

Run a hose from the air cleaner, make sure its on the filtered air side. Then run that hose on the passenger side valve cover.. I like this set up best...

Old 02-28-2021, 06:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Also .... looks like either the wrong alternator belt, or upper bracket ... lots of room for adjustment in one direction, not much in the other

Old 02-28-2021, 07:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't believe that I'll use this air cleaner housing. The PCV hose will be on the drivers side and I don't know if the parts needed will work with the Pontiac valve cover. The Olds covers look more angled.
I see that these air cleaners are somewhat desirable and there's not many out there. So maybe I'll sell it and get a proper set up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Trans Am with Olds 403.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	561800  

Old 03-01-2021, 10:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok, so I’m going with a different air cleaner. I’ll use the one off of our Sprint engine for now, which fits the Quadrajet nicely and is a good size. This puts me back to using a breather in the valve cover. Should I use one in place of the twist in oil fill cap on the drivers side, or pop out the plug and use a push in on the passenger side? I like the passenger side idea better but I don’t know which one to use. What size is the hole left after pulling the plug out and what grommet and neck size should a push in breather be?
Thanks in advance for your help, guys. This is all new to me first of all and the engine and everything are all bastardized which creates another challenge.

Old 03-01-2021, 02:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The valve cover on the right side (passenger) has a 3/4" hole. My GTO came with aftermarket air cleaner (original is long gone I reckon) so like you, I decided to use a breather on the right side. The valve cover grommet for the "pipe" has a 3/4' hole. I used this breather I got from Summit. (Amazon also has it). Works fine.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/spe-4300

I have a 14" diameter open element air cleaner. If you have one and wish to connect the factory pipe that goes in the right side vavle cover to the air cleaner, you can use a short piece of hose and this part that attaches to the under side of the air cleaner base. Many air cleaner bases have a scribed place on the bottom for this piece for you to cut out.

https://www.edelbrock.com/crankcase-...1223-1205.html

Hope this is helpful.

"No replacement for displacement!"

GTOAA--https://www.gtoaa.org/
Old 03-01-2021, 03:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

they sell breathers that have the connection to the air filter, I think they are called "mopar style" breathers by some folks:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/trd-9242