Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-27-2021, 09:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Looking at an engine for sale locally.

My son and I drove a couple hours to see a gentleman that has a Pontiac 400 for sale. It's installed in a '69 GTO, but It's not the original motor to the car. It's a built up motor that he put in place while he slowly re-did the original engine. That original engine is now ready to take it's rightful place in the GTO. The engine that's for sale looks good, sounds good, etc. The vendor seems like a good guy.
The only thing that niggles me is that the parts are more high performance oriented, and I'm wondering if it makes sense to put it in our creampuff.
Our car requires a good vacuum to run the A/C vac control lines, the cruise control, and power disc brakes.
I don't have actual part numbers for the motor, but here are the general specs:

Built up block with Eagle rotating assembly. Edelbrock RPM round port aluminum heads with roller valve train. The camshaft is a roller version of whatever original Pontiac cam would suit this combo. Edelbrock RPM intake, Carb TBD, but not a Quadrajet. But a good one. MSD HEI ignition. It's a relatively new engine with not many miles.
We heard this thing running and it sounds sweet when driving, but the idle is a little lopey. I was on the Edelbrock website and noted that the RPM products perform best starting at 1500 RPM.

So I would have preferred a motor with the Performer D-port heads and Performer intake. But this is a good deal. About the same as 2900.00 for you guys. Just to get Edelbrock heads here, delivered, would be that alone, plus sales tax 13%. I also noted that Edelbrock doesn't have any anyways.

So can I make this work in my car or not? Seriously, I'll probably just buy this motor anyway, but it would be nice to drop it in the LeMans without farrting around with the car too much.

Old 06-27-2021, 09:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

idle vacuum and rpm?

Old 06-28-2021, 07:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

It will need different headers or exhaust manifolds, unless his come with the engine. Not sure if headers interchange from 67 to 69.

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 06-28-2021, 07:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like a good motor and you can sell off the lack of bottom end torque making Round port heads to fund getting KRE D ports that are more like what it sounds like your driving needs require.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 06-28-2021, 08:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like a good deal based on parts. The seller doesn't know specs on cam? The description you provided doesn't offer enough info to indicate if too radical for street driving. Is it a stroker?

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 06-28-2021, 08:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like a deal for the money, run it

Old 06-28-2021, 09:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I forgot to mention that it does come with Hooker headers. I'd put the round port exhaust manifolds on it, if they fit the '67.
The seller didn't have the exact specs for the cam, but he mentioned that it was a "Ram air 4" type cam. He didn't build the engine himself, he had a shop do it.
I'm thinking that with this engine as it sits, it would be challenging to tame it down. And we were thinking, exactly as mentioned, that we could sell the top end and use that to get some KRE's or Performer heads if neccessary. But just getting a built up short block around here could cost 5g's or more, so either way it seems like a win.

I'll say one thing, though. The sound of him driving away was intoxicating. That engine is tight. He did have power brakes in the '69 GTO, so that gave me some hope for the engine making decent vacuum.

Last edited by 66sprint6; 06-28-2021 at 09:42 AM.
Old 06-28-2021, 09:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

for that price its a steal... E-heads would cost almost that much alone. buy it before the guy realizes what its worth. it should run fine on the street & if needed you can always change the cam with not much work.

Old 06-28-2021, 09:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post
I forgot to mention that it does come with Hooker headers. I'd put the round port exhaust manifolds on it, if they fit the '67.
The seller didn't have the exact specs for the cam, but he mentioned that it was a "Ram air 4" type cam. He didn't build the engine himself, he had a shop do it.
I'm thinking that with this engine as it sits, it would be challenging to tame it down. And we were thinking, exactly as mentioned, that we could sell the top end and use that to get some KRE's or Performer heads if neccessary. But just getting a built up short block around here could cost 5g's or more, so either way it seems like a win.

I'll say one thing, though. The sound of him driving away was intoxicating. That engine is tight. He did have power brakes in the '69 GTO, so that gave me some hope for the engine making decent vacuum.
Is it a 400 or a 400 stroked? I ask cause you mentioned the Eagle rotating assembly.

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
The Following User Says Thank You to grivera For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2021, 09:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Aftermarket 400 cranks were/are not all that common.
Stroke could be checked through a spark plug hole....
The cam could be tamed down with Rhoads lifters.
An add on vacuum reservoir can help, if needed.

Read somewhere here is last day or so, that Canada is considering opening up the border, in a month or so.....was going to post on one of your threads about this, thinking again about Len Williams.......

I'd be a buyer at that price!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Old 06-28-2021, 10:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll have to ask if it's a stroker. We didn't get that far into the details. The seller was an older gentleman who has 5 cars and a bunch of Harley's. It seems that he doesnt do much work on them himself. He's paring down on the cars and parts, though. That's why he's selling this engine rather than just have it on a stand.

Old 06-28-2021, 10:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
Aftermarket 400 cranks were/are not all that common.
Stroke could be checked through a spark plug hole....
The cam could be tamed down with Rhoads lifters.
An add on vacuum reservoir can help, if needed.

Read somewhere here is last day or so, that Canada is considering opening up the border, in a month or so.....was going to post on one of your threads about this, thinking again about Len Williams.......

I'd be a buyer at that price!!!
Yes, I'm always thinking about a Len Williams engine. It seems like, for me anyway, that his is the ultimate product solution. But adding up the numbers, with the exchange, freight, and the sales tax (collected at the border), would add up to more than twice what this guy is asking. Plus, Len is currently running a six month lead time.

Old 06-28-2021, 10:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Yes, I'm always thinking about a Len Williams engine. It seems like, for me anyway, that his is the ultimate product solution. But adding up the numbers, with the exchange, freight, and the sales tax (collected at the border), would add up to more than twice what this guy is asking. Plus, Len is currently running a six month lead time.
I was thinking same, as you...I remember you mentioning about his lead time, somewhat due to parts situation?

Remember I have some friends (here in Oklahoma) that own a small trucking company. If a Len Williams deal was able to be struck, contact me. THey could get the engine to the border. I'd ask for favor for you.....

I'd like to think the the owner of this potential engine for you could give you the name of shop that performed the work, so you could get an idea of the parts used. But if that might involve the passage of too much time, I'd buy the engine, just to make sure someone else buys it...

Shut it off
Shut it off
Old 06-28-2021, 11:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

If that is the case, a cam change should be all you need for what you want.

Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm
Old 06-28-2021, 11:21 AM

Buy it.

Leave it alone, clearly it’s a nice running performance engine.

Buy a good torque converter that complements the engine. Perhaps for a bit extra the seller can set you up with the one he’s using now.

Enjoy.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2021, 12:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
Buy it.

Leave it alone, clearly it’s a nice running performance engine.

Buy a good torque converter that complements the engine. Perhaps for a bit extra the seller can set you up with the one he’s using now.

Enjoy.
Agree, save yourself the possibility of trouble, you could be happy as is.

No point in tearing down a good engine, if it's not you, find one that is.

Frank

Old 06-28-2021, 01:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

ight check it is not a 557 casting block to know how hard you can lean on it. But sounds like a deal to me!

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 06-28-2021, 02:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Not sure how you can go wrong.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 06-28-2021, 03:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks, guys. I called him and e-transfered a deposit. I figure the next guy that doesn't mind driving a couple hours to look at a motor will likely snatch it. We have confidence in the purchase, pretty much because we saw and heard the motor in the car running.
We'll get it in a week or two. I told the guy no rush. Then the fun begins. I'll update as this evolves.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 66sprint6 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2021, 03:33 PM
Senior Chief

"but he mentioned that it was a "Ram air 4" type cam." - sort of an 041 ? Lotta cam for a 400. If an automatic might go a little loose on the torque converter. Probably a nice match for a built 200R4.