Old 05-08-2008, 08:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default My Pontiac Story

This is a compilation of previous posts from some other threads, both so that I can put them in chronological order for the reader but also for my own reference.

I want to start way back at the beginning; if you want to skip to the "good stuff" (ie, get right to the Pontiacs) then start reading in post #3!

Before Dad started racing Pontiacs he was racing Ford products. He had a '60 Ford convertible with a Paxton blower on it that ran pretty well.

As a result, he had a good working relationship with Ford and was even trying to get hooked up with a factory lightweight in late '62/early'63. That didn't happen and is another story for another day...

Tom V might correct me here, because I often see a different name for Ford Racing at the time, but I believe Dad's contact at Ford was a gentleman named Dave Evans. Dave called Dad one day, out of the blue, and said "come on down here; I've got something for you".

Dad got the details. He was supposed to go over to Dearborn Steel Tube and pick up a box. He drove over and they directed him out back to see "Andy". Andy told him "...put this in the trunk of your car and don't open it until you get home".

Naturally, Dad pulled out of the parking lot and into the very first Shell station he saw and opened the box. In it was a complete 3x2 setup for a Ford; everything required for the installation was there. Intake, carbs, air cleaners, fuel lines, gaskets, everything.

After he got home, Dad called Dave and asked "what am I supposed to do with this thing?". Dave said "make it run. We can't get 'em to run...".

After a day or so Dad had the setup installed and tuned and took it out for a trial run. Sure enough, as soon as he went wide open the engine flooded out and stalled. He tried it a couple more times with similar results. He drove the car home, took everything apart, inspected and readjusted everything, reassembled it but still had the same results.

After thinking about for another day, he called a buddy over that was racing a Ford with twin Paxton blowers on it (Brad Burton was his name). They took the car for a ride, same results, and disassembled the setup for inspection. Brad left and Dad went to work that evening, came home and went to bed.

About four am the phone rang. It was Brad. He said "I know what it is! Meet me in the garage!". Dad drug his sleepy self out of bed and went to the garage. They took the carbs apart for the hundredth time and Brad said "AHA! There it is....I knew I noticed something wrong before but couldn't put my finger on it". What he had seen was that Holley had put power valves in the end carbs, allowing too much fuel to flood the engine. "We've got to plug those off".

So that night, in the Chevrolet die room, Dad made his first set of homemade Holley power valve plugs for use in a Ford Tripower!

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 05-08-2008 at 08:22 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2008, 08:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just to finish that particular story:

After installing the aforementioned plugs and creating a "progressive" linkage, Dad's car was running like a scalded dog. He called Dave Evans.

"How's your cars running?" he teased.

They aren't, Dave replied.

"Mine is" Dad said. Dave told him to get down to the Engineering building immediately.

Dad drove down later that morning, honked the horn at those beautiful wrought iron gates next to Greenfield Village and was allowed entrance onto the Ford facility. Dave met him down by the street and said "Ok. Show me". Dad said "right here?". Dave nodded affirmatively so....Dad backed up and smoked his Atlas Bucrons the whole length of the parking lot. "Wait here" Dave told him. He ran upstairs and brought the respective Engineers down to the street. Dad did it again and then delighted in showing them the changes he had made to their induction system, while another set of Engineers crawled under the car looking at his suspension modifications and still another couple were looking at his shifter and shift linkage.

All in all, a good day...then he would scurry back north to get home in time to work 2nd shift at Chevrolet.

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 05-08-2008 at 08:40 AM.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

How We Got Our First Pontiac:

As I mentioned earlier, Dad was racing Fords in the early 60's (a 60 Ford Convertible, with a Paxton blower on it, you might recall). As the '62 model year progressed and '63 model years drew close he knew that Ford was going to continue to do lightweight packages (fiberglass fenders, etc) for the Galaxie and he wanted one. He started asking his contact at Ford Racing, Dave Evans, about the availability of one of these cars and for factory sponsorship. Dave said "yeah, we are going to do (some certain number) of builds and maybe you can get one of those". Well, the time came and went and....no car. So Dad would call Dave back and Dave would say "yeah, those all had to go to the big name racers....maybe we can get you one from the next batch". The next batch came and went and...no car.

Dad had already met Dick Jesse by this time (another story). Dick, always the consumate salesman, had offered that when Dad was ready to "step up" to a Pontiac to come see him. Dad felt like he was getting the "run around" at Ford* and figured there was no time like the present to make the switch.

His original plan was to buy a used or a leftover '62 Catalina with the aluminum package but Dick persuaded him that he might be able to hook Dad up with a '63 with what he called "the carryover package", at a better price. A few days later Dick called and told Dad to come on down, that he had a car picked out.

They met at Royal and walked out to the Service area. Past the last bay there was a fairly nondescript white Tempest/Lemans coupe and a wagon sitting there - nondescript, that is, until Dick fired the coupe up. The front fenders shook, and the windows shook (and Dad shook!). Dick shut the car off and Dad said "Dick, you know there is no way I could afford a car like that". Dick laughed and said "You're not a big enough shooter to get a car like this. I can't sell you that car anyway....that's George's car" (meaning George Delorean's '63 SD coupe).

Dick also confided that the wagon was to be his own racer. "At least it's an automatic so that YOU can drive it" Dad teased.

Dick admitted that Dad's car was actually over at the Engineering Building on Joslyn Avenue, so they loaded up and headed over. The necessary clearances to get through the gate had already been arranged; they turned the corner and behind the building was a beautiful dark blue '63 Catalina. He learned it was spec'd as follows: Built as a Super Duty car, it was converted over the counter to an "HO" car so that Dad could run B/Stock with it**. It had aluminum fenders, hood and decklid; doors were steel as were the rad support, fender inners and bumper brackets. It had a regular production (ie, "non swiss cheese") frame. Probably the most notable feature, however, was the paint scheme: it was the car that Wangers developed the "Bobcat" appearance package on***. Nocturne blue with the tri color Ventura interior, it had an extra silver stripe around the spear side trim, and silver around the rear face of the deck lid. Eight lug aluminum wheels, with the area between the fins painted blue, the top of the fins painted silver and part of the cap painted blue too (I believe, by looking at the old photo below). Add some wide whitewalls and you have quite a stunning automobile.

Dad was beginning to think that this was too good to be true; another "lark" like the Tempests he had just seen. However, Dick quoted him a price the deal was struck. They headed back over to Royal and within the next few days Dad plunked down $3100 of his hard earned cash and drove home in his first Pontiac racecar.

This is currently my only photograph of the car. I do have some images from old home movies that I am working to recover:
(1/2/2019 - video has been posted to youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lvpCR07taY)

*In retrospect there may have been some hesitancy from Ford management to give a special car and full factory sponsorship to a Chevrolet diemaker. Dad tried Chevrolet as well but without success. For him to be competetive for 1963 the choice came down to either Dodge or Pontiac (...not a very difficult choice!).

**Not long after this Dad noticed a complete SD top end sitting on the counter at Royal. He started to grab it with the intentions of converting his (supposed) HO car to a Super Duty, but Jesse stopped him. They already had cars running in the higher classes and specifically wanted Dad's car to compete in B/Stock. We could go so far as to speculate that the parts he started to use were the very same ones removed from his car in the first place.

***Jim had taken a special interest in this car while it was in the Royal paint shop. A second car followed, a green one, as well as a third red car.

The "green car":

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	63 cat me and dad.JPG
Views:	3615
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	479773  

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 01-02-2019 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

How we lost our first Pontiac:

So, in relatively short order, Dad had gone from "John Q Public Ford racer" to a hotshot Pontiac racer. Although he started out as just another Royal customer, his ability to be down there during the day (since he worked second shift), as well as his budding friendship with Dick Jesse, could be used to their mutual advantage. He was able to hang out, attend press events and test sessions, and help them get some work done. By now the Bobcat package was starting to gel, and Dad was able to bring tripowers home five or six at a time - "Bobcat" them by rejetting, etc - and then bring the completed units back for installation on customer vehicles by Frank Rediker or Charlie Brumfield. Later, the same technique would be used in converting wide ratio 4 speeds into close ratio 4 speeds - again, five or six at a time. ( I should mention that if a particular unit came together especially well, either a tripower or a 4 speed, it might not have made it all the way back to Royal).

I don't know if it was conscious or not but eventually a plan evolved. Quite clever, actually; Dad would run the "sleeper" car: a factory car, with full sponsorship and technical support, but no visible indication to the casual observer other than a set of Royal license plate frames.* Ultimately Dad would end up with a Shell credit card to pay for all his fuel and an open account for any race car parts. A call down to Royal would result in parts being shipped to the Flint bus station via Greyhound, where he could pick them up (many of the parts had red paint on them, indicating "scrap"!). His familiarity with Royal grew and the car was quite successful: never defeated in actual B/S competition and even holding the NHRA B/S record at 13.42 until Art Noey ("Shaker Engineering") came along and bombed the record out of reach.*

However, this familiarity would also lead to the car's demise.

*There was one ocassion where, in an effort to be like everybody else, Dad had some decals made up of his name and had them applied to the side windows. Jesse caught wind of it and had him pull them off. They very much did not want anyone to know who Dad was at the time...

**I emphasize the car's success specifically in B/Stock....but there were some off days. "Farmer" Dismuke was the tech director for NHRA and was known for being pretty tough. He had a ring that he wore and on the underside of the ring was a magnet - specifically for finding fiberglass or aluminum where it wasn't supposed to be. As Dad was in tech for B/Stock Farmer laid his hand on one of those aluminum fenders and said conclusively "B/FX". Instantly agitated, Dad said "I can't run B/FX; this car is a national record holder in B/Stock". Farmer said "I don't care if you are Santa Claus, you're not running that car in B/Stock unless you can show me 49 more just like it!". Dad knew he couldn't be competetive in B/FX, and didn't want to ballast up to C/FX (because Doug Nash was running his Bronco in that class) so he, along with the boys from Royal, decided to park the car for the day. For a discussion on how the rest of the day went see this attached thread: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=549309

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 01-05-2021 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Correcting broken link
Old 05-08-2008, 08:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

How we lost our first Pontiac (Part II):

As I mentioned, Dad was becoming more and more familiar with the operations at Royal. Because of this arrangement, he could leave the car at the dealership for upgrades and/or regular maintenance.*

However, being a relatively young man (he was in his mid 20's by now) he was not fully aware of how the car was titled and registered. Dad had the registration, so that he could plate the car and drive it on the street; however, Royal held the title with a "Manufacturer's Lien". The significance of this arrangement would not become apparent until later...

Wangers had been racing his car on the east coast and, in the days of tow bars and flat towing, had a somewhat minor incident on the way back from an event. Minor, but still enough damage that a repair would need to be made and it was determined that the aluminum front end components would need to be replaced. Normally, an extra set of material would be kept in the warehouse for just such an emergency but, for some reason when they went to retrieve this extra material it wasn't there**.

So - now we have a problem. The main Royal showpiece is banged up and there are no replacement parts. Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your perspective), they noticed Dad's car sitting, unattended. After checking and finding that Royal held the title, and knowing how expendable these factory/dealership cars were back in the day, it was an easy jump in logic to remove the front clip from Dad's car, make the necessary repairs to Jim's car and scrap the remains of Dad's.

Naturally, when Dad came bopping in off the street later that day or the next, and then comprehended what had happened, he was frantic. Recall that he had paid cash, with his own money, for the purchase of that car. Being a middle class hourly worker, with a new family and starter home, he didn't have that kind of money to just throw away. He ran into Jesse's office and demanded that something be done: either replace his cash, or get him another car, or something!

Jesse, ever the consummate car salesman, calmly and simply said "Van, I want you to settle down. You are all set - your new GTO is here".

*This also left him open for their unique sense of humor. Jim Wangers had ordered an aluminum third member for his car and was getting quite antsy for its arrival. When it did (finally) show up the mechanics saw it sitting on the floor strapped to a pallet; they noted Dad's car sitting a few bays down and somebody thought it would be hilariously funny to install the carrier in Dad's car and not tell anybody. Dad never noticed until some time later, when he was under the car doing something else. Jim continued to get more and more agitated and finally gave up looking for his aluminum part. I don't think he knows what happened to it to this day. He probably would not find it hilariously funny.

**Some of you are probably familiar with the Johnny Mauro Pikes Peak racecar (now in the Floyd Garrett Musclecar collection). This was a car that was built after the January of 1963 racing ban; it was processed with a steel front clip but was retrofit with aluminum components after the fact. We did not learn of this vehicle until the late 1980's but when we did some things started to make sense. We speculate that this was the extra set of aluminum from the warehouse, sent out to build this vehicle, and why the "extra set" was not present when needed for repairs.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img020.jpg
Views:	4096
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	501579   Click image for larger version

Name:	Johnny Mauro 63 SD Catalina.JPG
Views:	4085
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	501580  

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 01-02-2019 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

How we got our Second Pontiac

(also known as)

How we got our First GTO

Ok, so its the fall of 1963 and Dad is now the proud owner of a brand new 1964 GTO.

Well....I use the term "proud" loosely. This car had the worst paint job of any production vehicle that he had ever seen in his life. It had little flecks of dirt in it and globs of some kind of black stuff that wouldn't wash off. It also had poor adhesion, and if tape was applied the paint would come right off when you attempted to remove the tape.

Although grateful to not be stuck with a total loss, Dad went back to see Dick Jesse to complain. "Dick" he said "I'd be embarrased to drive this car; it needs a total repaint".

Dick wasn't sure the factory would cover a totally new paint job but said he would make some calls. He contacted the factory rep, Carl Klessick*, and Carl agreed to paint only the problem areas. Dad was to take a small piece of masking tape and stick it over any spots needing repair.

Dad did as he was told and drove the car over to Carl's office. Carl came down to the street, only to find this '64 GTO COMPLETELY (!) covered with masking tape. I think Dad said he used a whole roll to cover the car. Carl approved a total repaint - at the factory and at their expense - right then and there.

After the car was painted it was taken back to Royal and one of the new car prep guys put a real nice "Blue Coral" wax job on it. When all was said and done it was a very respectible looking automobile.

After doing his own "Royal Bobcat supertune" job on the car (similar to post #61 of this thread: "The Gasket Story") Dad was having good success with this car as well. It was also never defeated in B/S class competition and, legend has it, the first GTO here locally to run in the twelves**.

*I'm sorry, I can't remember the last name for sure and couldn't find it in my notes.

** Royal had rented Detroit Dragway for a test session so Dad went along just for fun. He had continued to refine the package and went out and made what felt like a pretty good pass. When he got to the ticket booth they didn't have a time slip to give him. Shaking it off, he decided to make another pass. He did and it also felt like a pretty good run. No slip. He decided to make a third pass and at it's conclusion they told him to report to the control tower.

He walked up the stairs and into the office, to find the track owner Gil Kohn scowling at the desk. "Seymore, nobody likes a smart a$$" he said, and showed Dad the time slips: 12.97, 12.95 and 12.93. Apparently they were concerned the timing equipment wasn't working properly and wanted to check it out before giving Dad the data.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	63Covair.jpg
Views:	3865
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	501581  

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 01-02-2019 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
...they turned the corner and behind the building was a beautiful dark blue '63 Catalina. He learned it was spec'd as follows: Built as a Super Duty car, it was converted over the counter to an "HO" car so that Dad could run B/Stock with it. It had aluminum fenders, hood and decklid; doors were steel as were the rad support, fender inners and bumper brackets. It had a regular production (ie, "non swiss cheese") frame. Probably the most notable feature, however, was the paint scheme: it was the car that Wangers developed the "Bobcat" appearance package on*. Nocturne blue with the tri color Ventura interior, it had an extra silver stripe around the spear side trim, and silver around the rear face of the deck lid. Eight lug aluminum wheels, with the area between the fins painted blue, the top of the fins painted silver and part of the cap painted blue too.

*Jim had taken a special interest in this car while it was in the Royal paint shop. A second car followed, a green one, as well as a third red car.

This is currently my only photograph of the car. I do have some images from old home movies that I am working to recover:
Thanks to Mike Noun I now have the video footage as mentioned in post #3 of this thread. You will see a fairly decent walk around of the car; there is a second walk around of very poor quality but (to make up for that) Mike also included some home movies of drag racing at some local tracks here in the early 60's. Thanks Mike!

YouTube video of '63 Catalina: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj0M4DQhXKE

This car was scrapped in 1964 after the front end was removed to repair Jim's Swiss Cheese car (which had been involved in a towing accident).

K

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 03-04-2009 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:37 AM
Senior Chief

All kinds 'o cool in that one, Keith!

Old 05-04-2009, 08:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The local bookstore cruise is underway once again; stopped by Saturday in the Grand Prix to kick off the season...

Jim Kennedy's "Fireball Roberts" commemorative edition '62 Grand Prix:

I'm usually pretty elusive, but managed to find my way into this picture. I'm in the flannel shirt standing in front of my '63 Grand Prix (...behind the guy that looks PO'd )

K

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 02-22-2018 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Thanks to Mike Noun I now have the video footage as mentioned in post #3 of this thread. You will see a fairly decent walk around of the car; there is a second walk around of very poor quality but (to make up for that) Mike also included some home movies of drag racing at some local tracks here in the early 60's. Thanks Mike!

YouTube video of '63 Catalina: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj0M4DQhXKE

This car was scrapped in 1964 after the front end was removed to repair Jim's Swiss Cheese car (which had been involved in a towing accident).

K
We had to update the link to the aforementioned video; new link is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lvpCR07taY

Again, thanks to Mike Noun for keeping this current.

K

Old 05-08-2008, 10:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Keith - Wow?! Thanks for sharing your story. Very well written and even more... a true testimony of Fathers and Sons and the good times and memories that families experience.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks.

Apparently it took you guys a lot less time to read it than it did for me to write it!

Thanks again,

K

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 05-08-2008 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

An inspiration to all us 65 GTO owners and lovers!

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 05-08-2008, 04:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Keith, Awesome detail on the story, I'm sure your Dad is smiling from up above.

Custom Roller Cam, 1.52 Roller Rockers
Quadrajet done by Cliff
3:42 gears

12.075 @ 112.70
12.092 @ 112.43
12.128 @ 111.71

Old 02-16-2009, 04:35 PM
Senior Chief

Thumbs up Keith Seymore's story

I like that story so much that I printed it to send to my son in Iraq/Marines to read ! thanks, its a great story..right up my alley !

Old 06-10-2022, 02:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just realized tomorrow is my seniority date: June 11, 1979 (so - hmm, carry the 1, etc) = 43 years ago I started with GM.

K
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Flint Assembly sign.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	592577  

Old 06-10-2022, 02:11 PM
Senior Chief

Congratulations! Staying with one company that long these days is quite a feat.

1963 Tempest Convertible (195-1bbl, 3-speed transaxle. 428 RAIV, 5-speed, IRS planned) Pictures
Old 06-11-2022, 09:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ran into an old friend today at the Widetrackers Dustoff:

This car belonged to my dad. He rescued it from a field in Oregon, intending to make a Super Duty clone out of it. Unfortunately he passed before he could make that particular dream a reality.

When he passed he gifted it to our friend Ed Lear. Ed has been working on it all along and now has it in driveable condition.

It proved to be popular, too, as Ed won his class today.

I probably haven't seen this car in 17 years.

K

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2008, 11:22 AM

keith, this makes a great read, along with your other stories that are gm related you really should look into geting them published.

sorry to hear of your dad's passing, i'd have liked to met him in person. he sounds like a great guy.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
The Following User Says Thank You to mike nixon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2008, 02:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great stories, and a fitting memorial to your Dad!

The Following User Says Thank You to Old Man Taylor For This Useful Post: