Old 05-23-2020, 01:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, I have to admit that most of my FB interactions consist of deleting notices in my email box. There are only so many pics of what's cooking on the grille that I can take.
I would think that you could link to the page if you copied it from the browser? Or tell us the name of the FB account that has the pics?

Old 05-23-2020, 11:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd rather let the owner do all that , i was just trying to link some pics somehow.

Need to say i was wrong about it having been a complete engine to start with.
It wasn't .
The heads came from a source in Michigan, and they have a couple unique features that might get researched further some day after he gets the car back.
He doesn't think he will have it back in SC for another 6 months due to various circumstances.

It will be a cool car.
Maybe we will get to see the PHS for the Deuce Car that donated the Block.

The Following User Says Thank You to Baron Von Zeppelin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 11:43 PM
Senior Chief

Update. I recently purchased car #20 that was advertised here. In process of installing correct factory and RA II parts that were missing. Recently acquired correct RA II exhaust manifolds. Car will be very nice driver .

BTW I also have a 68 Tempest Custom that wears it's factory color of Meridian Turquoise, black vinyl top, and Aqua interior.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0785.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	541140   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4416.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	541141   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0093.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	541143   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4423.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	541145   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9963.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	541146  

Last edited by Mcronk; 05-26-2020 at 11:54 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mcronk For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2020, 08:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcronk View Post
Update. I recently purchased car #20 that was advertised here.
Wow
Congrats Mark !
An extra awesome ultra rare GTO and i like the Midnight Green they put on it.
HideAways are always a winner too.
The exhaust manifolds look in great shape, not sure anyone has posted pics of originals in this thread before. They really look cool with RA raised casting like most of the cylinder heads have on them.

The Tempest is really living up to its name -
it looks like a storm is brewing under the hood.

Thanks for the Update, and more Congrats to you on the new ownership !

Old 05-27-2020, 08:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
Maybe we will get to see the PHS for the Deuce Car that donated the Block.
He got the PHS for the Baltimore Deuce WY Block.
Car was White with Teal Interior - 4spd of course
all i know so far

Old 05-27-2020, 09:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

nice color combo.

Old 05-28-2020, 12:31 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Wow
Congrats Mark !
An extra awesome ultra rare GTO and i like the Midnight Green they put on it.
HideAways are always a winner too.
The exhaust manifolds look in great shape, not sure anyone has posted pics of originals in this thread before. They really look cool with RA raised casting like most of the cylinder heads have on them.

The Tempest is really living up to its name -
it looks like a storm is brewing under the hood.

Thanks for the Update, and more Congrats to you on the new ownership !
Thanks! I too like the 69 color but will be painting it in its factory correct color of Verdoro. Hope to have a correct WY block soon. Will share pictures of block casting number and block code.

Old 05-28-2020, 01:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
He got the PHS for the Baltimore Deuce WY Block.
Car was White with Teal Interior - 4spd of course
all i know so far
Have a copy of the BHC for this car now.
Have not done a breakdown on it yet.
It is very bare bones with just a few numbers in a few of the boxes.
Will definitely be the low cost leader of the crowd at $3997.19 MSRP

Billing Date is May 28 1968

Interesting it ordered new at Bratten Pontiac in Norfolk Virginia
They were a race oriented dealer.
They got one of the 1963 SuperDuty cars
And they sponsored the 65 GTO race car Jolly Green Giant that Rick Holladay drove and Arnie Beswick did the engine.

Rick is still alive and with any luck might have remembrance of the Car since it was somewhat an off-beat color combo and Ram Deuce.
White with Teal interior
Versus VooDooGreen with Black or Red with Black

It only had
(444) In-Dash Tach & Gauges
(494) Rally Stripes
(621) Ride & Handling

Redlines with DogDish wheels

No Radio, no steering or brakes
Lots of Engine and Axle ... hmm where did they plan to drive it

Lean Machine
Rally Stripes and Call Outs would have been Black
Then Redline tires with Black Rims
all that going against the Teal interior
To me it sounds a bit on the woppy side

Old 05-28-2020, 01:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm surprised they went for the added extra weight of the Rally Stripes on this Stripper.
At first glance i was thinking 494 was going to be endura delete/chrome nose.
But the delete is 484
... would have been some even extra cool factor though

Old 06-07-2020, 01:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I'm surprised they went for the added extra weight of the Rally Stripes on this Stripper.
At first glance i was thinking 494 was going to be endura delete/chrome nose.
But the delete is 484
... would have been some even extra cool factor though
BVZ - the Endura delete was 674 :-)

Land of Lakes Muscle Car Classic
Facebook Event
Facebook Wall (Kurt Smith,Minneapolis)
Old 06-07-2020, 08:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the correction.
Somehow i mixed the numbers up after checking the sales bulletin for the code, by the time i typed that blurb.

Old 07-25-2020, 01:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Got a break in the weather here which gave me an opportunity to take car #18 on the list out for its first trip to the fueling station. Felt weird to be cruising in 4th gear at 35 mph. I was expecting to hear the 4.33 gears wine a but they were nice and quiet.

Flick the throttle at any time in any of the first 3 gears and the tires break loose. Kinda fun actually. Lay the pedal to the floor and watch the hood tach......once that needle hits 3500 rpm it feels like rocket thrusters kicked in because it does rip your head back quite a bit.

Really surprised how smooth it idles and runs st low speeds. I expected it to be more temperamental and run hot to the point where it might overheat but it seems to stay cool enough. That little 4 blade fan seems effective enough so far

Will spend some time today finishing up the headlight bezels and install the front wheel moldings. Need to get the front wheels aligned and button up some odds and ends but otherwise the car seems pretty close for some cruise nights.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200725_075802.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	545744   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200725_075746.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	545745   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200725_075824.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	545746  

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PurelyGTO68 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2020, 09:29 PM
Senior Chief

Wow your car looks gorgeous! I swapped out the carb on mine (#20) for a quadrajet i had on my 67 GTO that ran good. The car started easily, idled well, and no surging or bucking. I too had heard the 041 cam was tempermental on the street. I had no problems lugging the car down low. The 4.33 gears really help with that. I imagine in cold weather it might be much different when cold.

What carb do you have? The one my car came with is a 69 version and has mismatched parts. I am trying to decide whether to find a correct 68 GTO 4 speed carb or just rebuild the 69 version. Right now i don't want to spend the money for the correct one even if i could find one for sale. I am only missing the correct carb and distributor. The original engine is long gone but i have collected the correct part numbers with proper date codes for my car.

I may also needs some help on the 3 vacuum hose routing for thermostatic switch and vacuum switch.

Glad to see you are out enjoying the car. I will be driving mine!

Old 07-25-2020, 10:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Wow your car looks gorgeous! I swapped out the carb on mine (#20) for a quadrajet i had on my 67 GTO that ran good. The car started easily, idled well, and no surging or bucking. I too had heard the 041 cam was tempermental on the street. I had no problems lugging the car down low. The 4.33 gears really help with that. I imagine in cold weather it might be much different when cold.

What carb do you have? The one my car came with is a 69 version and has mismatched parts. I am trying to decide whether to find a correct 68 GTO 4 speed carb or just rebuild the 69 version. Right now i don't want to spend the money for the correct one even if i could find one for sale. I am only missing the correct carb and distributor. The original engine is long gone but i have collected the correct part numbers with proper date codes for my car.

I may also needs some help on the 3 vacuum hose routing for thermostatic switch and vacuum switch.

Glad to see you are out enjoying the car. I will be driving mine!
Mark, these pictures might help.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7F6C6A63-A31D-4A1D-9256-CC9D7F39777F.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	545791   Click image for larger version

Name:	392CDB0E-DEC1-4FFB-AEC9-A3063145DA40.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	545792   Click image for larger version

Name:	E654EA11-D068-4157-8C3E-D7751970E55E.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	545793   Click image for larger version

Name:	79575294-E641-4D52-AD52-8462E0A12206.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	545794  

69 Firebird Ram Air IV, 4spd Matador Red/Black-Survivor
70 GTO Ram Air III 4spd Conv. burgundy(currently Black)/White/Black
71 GTO 455HO 4spd, Lucerne Blue/Black/Black
71 GTO 455HO Auto, Lucerne Blue/Sandalwood/Blue
Old 07-25-2020, 10:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I don’t know why they came up sideways. But hopefully they are what you need.

69 Firebird Ram Air IV, 4spd Matador Red/Black-Survivor
70 GTO Ram Air III 4spd Conv. burgundy(currently Black)/White/Black
71 GTO 455HO 4spd, Lucerne Blue/Black/Black
71 GTO 455HO Auto, Lucerne Blue/Sandalwood/Blue
Old 07-25-2020, 11:53 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks Scott. What you shared is the routing for non RA II cars. Jim Mino and I discussed the dual vacuum distributors that were used in 68. He said those dual distributors were not used on the RA II cars. He recently sold a correct RA II distributor that he restored. He said he has had several and they all had the same date code. Of all the RA II cars he has had and seen the RA II parts were done in batches with date codes sometimes way in advance of invoice dates.

He told me the RA II cars only used 3 ports on the thermostatic switch. I have a engine shot of Jim Mattisons RA II car that he sold back in 2016 that clearly shows only 3 lines connected. Factory service manuals were written and printed long before the RA II cars were even considered for production and then built. However i would assume the 3 lines that were used would have the same colored stripes in the same position per the diagram. So that information does help. I attached a picture of the RA II distributor he restored and engine shot of Mattisons car.

It is interesting to note that one line from carb supplies vacuum to thermostatic switch, then 3 lines are routed back towards vaccum switch and distributor. However i can't tell the routing very well and connection to distributor. Also note that Mattisons car does not appear to have correct RA II exhaust manifold for passenger side. I also attached picture of correct RA II manifold for that side.
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P3314385.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	545803   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-04-16-22-07-54.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	545804   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4416.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	545805  

Last edited by Mcronk; 07-26-2020 at 12:09 AM.
Old 07-26-2020, 12:32 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks.
The carb is NOS SR made by Carter for 68-70 GTO (except RA). I bought it from Purely PMD many years ago and never used it until now. It didnt run very well at first because the power piston spring was too stiff. Installed a weak spring and that helped tremendously. Was able to tune for smooth idle and 15.5 inch hg vacuum.

A real RA carb doesnt have primary enrichment orifices but this carb does so I went down one size for the jets and that seems to work well. I have yet to set aside a day to fine tune the rod and jet sizes but for right now it runs pretty strong.

If Cliff ever lists a correct date code carb for sale then I will buy it. He is the only person I know who I would trust buying a carb like that from because I really dont know all the various base plate and air horn part numbers.

Old 07-26-2020, 09:31 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the information. I have the same concerns about buying a "rebuilt" carb. I talked to Cliff and used his kit and rod/jet reccomendations when I freshened up the 67 carb several years ago. If the 69 Quadrajet that was on the car performed decently i would probably just rebuild it. However i fear the problem may be a mismatched set of parts or a previous rebuild that modified something. Like you I don't know what is good and what is bad. The 69 does not have the 68 type baseplate with the vacuum port on passenger near choke coil. I was leaning towards at least finding a correct 68 4 speed carb and possibly rebuilding it.

Old 07-26-2020, 11:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Thanks for the information. I have the same concerns about buying a "rebuilt" carb. I talked to Cliff and used his kit and rod/jet reccomendations when I freshened up the 67 carb several years ago. If the 69 Quadrajet that was on the car performed decently i would probably just rebuild it. However i fear the problem may be a mismatched set of parts or a previous rebuild that modified something. Like you I don't know what is good and what is bad. The 69 does not have the 68 type baseplate with the vacuum port on passenger near choke coil. I was leaning towards at least finding a correct 68 4 speed carb and possibly rebuilding it.
Did Jim say anything about the vacuum port in the base plate on RA II carbs? Have seen one 7029273 carb in person and it didnt have that port. I dont remember the date code though so I might not hav been from a deuce.

Photos of original RA II engines dont appear to show a vacuum line running to that area?

Old 07-26-2020, 12:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I think I have more photos of that dark blue car that Mattison sold back in 2016. Pretty sure there were 4 hoses on that thermo switch. One from the carb and 3 that routed back towards the rear of the engine.