Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 06-25-2020, 09:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
I had one of those valley covers. It would not fit so I gave it to Dan Whitmore as a present. Kinda wish I would have kept it, but RIP Dan, you deserved it.
What did Dan do with it? Just wall decor?
I'm not sure what water cross over they intended when they made this cover, but factory one would have never fit. I may still hit the block off plate with some 2000 sandpaper to satin finish the base and only polish the ribs. Like the valley cover.

Old 07-09-2020, 09:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Got the rotating assembly installed. Next is the cam and timing chain. I have the AP oil pump drive rod without the retaining dimple on the rod. So it could get pulled out through the top. Is it enough of a concern to bother buying the one from Nightmare Performance that has a retainer function similar to a stock rod? What are the chances it would get stuck to the distributor ? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1594343386648.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	544653   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1594343387314.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	544654   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1594343387868.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	544655  

The Following User Says Thank You to Scott Stoneburg For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2020, 07:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Scott did shim arrive? Gonna be ok for you? Just curious.

Old 07-10-2020, 07:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Stoneburg View Post
Got the rotating assembly installed. Next is the cam and timing chain. I have the AP oil pump drive rod without the retaining dimple on the rod. So it could get pulled out through the top. Is it enough of a concern to bother buying the one from Nightmare Performance that has a retainer function similar to a stock rod? What are the chances it would get stuck to the distributor ? Thanks
Personally never seen a rod get pulled out. No engine i've built had the retaining dimples and i pull dist often to prime oil pump. Just make sure that the rod and dist fit is smooth and isn't too smug of a fit.

Old 07-10-2020, 07:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
Personally never seen a rod get pulled out. No engine i've built had the retaining dimples and i pull dist often to prime oil pump. Just make sure that the rod and dist fit is smooth and isn't too smug of a fit.

There was mention on here of a guy breaking his AP distributor rod. I'm wondering if anyone else had troubles.

Old 07-10-2020, 03:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
IMO buy the Nightmare shaft, I am. I know of a few guys running it with IA2. Cheap insurance, why even deal with the thought of it coming out ?. Not using the rod I got for free and buying Nightmares.
I have a billet Dynagear shaft that came with a SD 80lb pump. I will use it with the 60lb pump going in the 461. It has a little c clip on it to prevent coming out the top when distributor is pulled. The one Dan provided for my 455 had it also.

Old 07-10-2020, 03:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
What did Dan do with it? Just wall decor?
I'm not sure what water cross over they intended when they made this cover, but factory one would have never fit. I may still hit the block off plate with some 2000 sandpaper to satin finish the base and only polish the ribs. Like the valley cover.
I don't know what happened to it. I bet I could have gotten it back when I talked to his widow getting my stuff, very nice lady who remembered me.
One thing he had that would be valuable to the Pontiac community were his notes. He documented "everything". He even checked deck heights on Pontiac blocks and found slight differences in runs. Had this giant C micrometer to do it.

Old 07-10-2020, 04:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbob View Post
Scott did shim arrive? Gonna be ok for you? Just curious.
Not yet. I'll let you know. Thanks.

Old 07-11-2020, 02:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Not yet. I'll let you know. Thanks.
Got the shim. Thats what I wanted. Thank you. 👍

Old 07-11-2020, 06:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good glad it will work. I figured any cleaning you may want to do.