Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 07-01-2020, 03:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The ground cable should be connected to a ground rod via a bolt connector or sometimes hot weld( called Cad weld). It really should be accessible at the rod connection point and verified as being firmly connected as this is the primary ground for your electrical service. Homes built before 1978( I believe) only had to have one a single ground.
Can you take a picture?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtorich View Post
Didnt get a chance to measure them, starting raining and i called it a day............at best 36 inches.

Another question for you guys, dont have a good pic as of now, but seems like i have a "ground cable" about 2 foot from the house......does this have to be moved or can I cement over that.

Rich

Old Yesterday, 10:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey West Coast, here is a pic....the house was built in 86, I bought it in 92, I thought you needed two wires, I have two copper wires going into my electrical box in the basement.....im thinking I have another post , just have to take the basement window guard off to check on that.

Got to look into it some, talked to an electrician and he said as long as there is sand & gravel over the rod, I should be able to put cement over that.

Thanks

Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiring.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	544134  

Old Yesterday, 11:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I would make sure to leave access to the rod. Use a Heavy 4 or 6 inch PVC coupling with a recessed threaded cap. If you have any major electrical work done in the future they will want to inspect it. With the recessed cap it wont be a trip hazard.