Old 10-21-2013, 10:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsteve View Post
The moldngs are stainless and any dings can be easily polished out. I think there was only one small area of the black rub strip missing on the pass door piece. The endura repair material would be perfect for fixing the small section.
You've got a good memory. Rights side molding on front end has about a 3/4" piece missing where it looks like someone had shot a screw through it into the door skin. I'm sure the stainless can be polished, but if I'm going to the expense of painting the car it would be nice to have moldings closer to perfect if they are going to be reinstalled.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Keep Moldings.
Ditch Spoiler
Add Trim Rings (look better with wheel well trim)
the car will look sleek and classy then

Old 10-21-2013, 10:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Keep spoiler, dump moldings!
My dos centavos.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
Keep Moldings.
Ditch Spoiler
Add Trim Rings (look better with wheel well trim)
the car will look sleek and classy then
There were no trim rings used on the 1972 15" honeycombs. That's a bigger pet peeve than seeing spoilers on non-spoiler Formulas. :-)

Old 10-21-2013, 11:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwheelbob View Post
You've got a good memory. Rights side molding on front end has about a 3/4" piece missing where it looks like someone had shot a screw through it into the door skin. I'm sure the stainless can be polished, but if I'm going to the expense of painting the car it would be nice to have moldings closer to perfect if they are going to be reinstalled.
I can email you the part numbers for your search, if you want.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know Frank Poncherello would want you to add T/A flares and a shaker cut into that hood. :-p

Old 10-22-2013, 11:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
There were no trim rings used on the 1972 15" honeycombs. That's a bigger pet peeve than seeing spoilers on non-spoiler Formulas. :-)
I know.............. Pontiac did screw up here and there! I just changed my 71 honeycomb plain centercaps to vastly cooler arrowhead ones, incorrect and mo mojo

Old 10-22-2013, 11:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Its a easy decision when you love all your options...But, that is never the case. So, thats how I make my decisions to vary the list.

Personally, leaving off the body side trim is best when repainting car especially when its a factory Black one. Thats when you have the side molding for the next person. Who will keep it in a box for the next and so on....

Spoiler (Air Foil) is something I would add if it is not there regardless on a 70-73 Formula, and the ones I've seen have mostly done it too. I think it is a added plus, and can be removed for purity. I do love the fact mine has it on PHS. BTW But, not honey's on mine are a different story.

I too think of myself as a purist but somethings just need to be there. For example: If I had a Judge with spoiler or stripe delete on build sheet. I would add....But, I would never add a Judge spoiler to a GTO or GT-37 unless it was factory or dealer documented.....

Last edited by Judge273; 10-22-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's how it looked from new without the spoiler (from 1972 up until the second owner repainted it in the early 1980s) and with all the moldings including the vertical stainless steel door edge guards. Second owner photo:

The Following User Says Thank You to njsteve For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2013, 01:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It might take two drinks tonight to finish the vote tally - especially with all of Mayor Daley's Chicago contingent weighing in....

Steve - I love that picture. If I take the spoiler off, do I have to put whitewall tires back on the car? What a classic look. Also, I would appreciate the side molding pn's if you have them readily available.

Regarding the valance, I looked at the bumber this morning and it does have the proper rectangular indentions for the valence mounting flanges as well as threaded holes. Since the current steel valance is painted with that "rock guard" texture paint, I think as part of the painting process it would probably be better to replace the valance than to spend time and money trying to strip the steel one. So, if I am going to replace the valance, should I simply buy another steel one or......you can see where this is going.

If anyone has a decent original Poly valance, please send me a PM.

Also, I am looking for 2-15" honeycomb wheels. I want to restore the ones on the car, but I will be able to keep it on the road if I do two wheels at a time and start with six wheels total.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Those whitewalls are horrible. I am surprised they aren't snow tires in the rear, given its Canadian origin. Hey, I do have a pair of vintage studded Goodyear F78x15 snow tires if you want them for a true Great White Northern look! ;-)

That gravel guard crap comes off pretty easily with a sander and that is a nice steel valance underneath.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What's up with the exhaust in that no-spoiler picture Steve?

BJ

Old 10-22-2013, 06:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Back in the day, it supposedly had headers and an aftermarket exhaust.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
That gravel guard crap comes off pretty easily with a sander and that is a nice steel valance underneath.
I can spend time sanding a non-original steel valance, or spend time fitting a better looking original style valance. I think I like the idea of the original, better looking style. They will both have to be painted.

I'm looking for a poly valance and 2-15" honeycombs.

Here is the latest vote tally. It's getting a lot closer, but keep the spoiler and ditch the molding have the lead.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ditch the spoiler and keep the moldings!!! I owned a 72F455 and that's how my car was equipped as well. Maybe that's why I prefer that look.

Once you grind off the nail heads for the moldings you can't put the back on without painting it again.

It looks like more of a sleeper that way also.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Forgot to say,

I would find and install the original valance too. I think that cleans the front of the car up big time.

That's part of what makes a 72 (IMO) the best looking year. couple that with the honeycomb grill, PERFECT!

Dave

Old 10-22-2013, 08:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Updated Tally...

OK, Dave seemed firm in his vote and I thought it deserved an updated tally....especially since it supported my current leaning.

Dave - any pictures of this beast you can post?

Here's the tally now...

Old 10-22-2013, 08:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I say ditch spoiler and keep side moldings.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwheelbob View Post
OK, Dave seemed firm in his vote and I thought it deserved an updated tally....especially since it supported my current leaning.

Dave - any pictures of this beast you can post?

Here's the tally now...

I sold that car in 83. I do have pictures but have no idea how to post them. There old pics.
It is cardinal red 4spd,ac,gauges,form wheel,8 track 15" rally wheels etc.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I did contribute to your car. It has a couple cans of my freon in it. I saw the car when Steve had it and it brings back memories of my old car