Old 02-10-2020, 08:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

GM of C sometimes create their own wording for equipment - that differs from conventional enthusiast lingo.

Buildsheets will list N30 as DLX STRG WHL or DLX ST WHEEL depending on Plant.
NK3 was the code for Formula Wheel

That is one hell of a Car in amazing condition for a Canadian refugee .
Pretty sure we're all jealous or envious , or both.
But genuinely happy for you Eaglesan - Congratulations Man !

JACKPOT !
Thanks for sharing

Old 02-10-2020, 08:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
GM of C sometimes create their own wording for equipment - that differs from conventional enthusiast lingo.
I guess that is where I was going with my "Check the sway bars" ask.

Old 02-10-2020, 11:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That is one killer combination. Still looking for that elusive 4 speed with no AC package.

Old 02-10-2020, 11:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great find Chris. Well deserved !

Old 02-10-2020, 11:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post

Buildsheets will list N30 as DLX STRG WHL or DLX ST WHEEL depending on Plant.
NK3 was the code for Formula Wheel

That is one hell of a Car in amazing condition for a Canadian refugee .
Pretty sure we're all jealous or envious , or both.
But genuinely happy for you Eaglesan - Congratulations Man !

JACKPOT !
Thanks for sharing
yeah the guy who does those sometimes gets the RPO decode wrong, and he also pretty much always lists RPOs for equipment that came standard with a given model...

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 02-11-2020, 08:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Chris, Interesting that I don't see the dash 'Bird' emblem and it doesn't look like there are any holes for one either...not that it matters.

Can't wait to see more pictures too! Such a great car!

Dennis

Old 02-11-2020, 08:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Intake not painted, but waterneck is painted. Also, I forget, but did the electric rear window defogger necesitate the 80amp alternator, or did it require another option such as power windows to trip the 80amp?

I’m looking forward to more also.

Old 02-11-2020, 09:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

bob way back in th early 80's I remember buying and seeing HO cars that had the intake bare and the water neck painted.

Old 02-11-2020, 02:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
... he also pretty much always lists RPOs for equipment that came standard with a given model...
That is one of the very best parts about the GMofC data - compared to PHS.
It can confirm some "either/or'' & ''no-cost alternates'' - mostly pertinent just with the Judges and TA's .

Engine Unit Numbers are nice data too , from GMofC

Old 02-11-2020, 02:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwheelbob View Post
...did the electric rear window defogger necesitate the 80amp alternator, or did it require another option such as power windows to trip the 80amp?
A/C and Rear Defog was the 80amp tripper combo

Old 02-11-2020, 09:11 PM
Senior Chief

Very nice car. They didn’t make many ram air, 4 speed 3:73 geared 455HO formulas.

Maybe I missed it, what was s the original colour or the car?

Old 02-12-2020, 06:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwheelbob View Post
Intake not painted, but waterneck is painted. Also, I forget, but did the electric rear window defogger necesitate the 80amp alternator, or did it require another option such as power windows to trip the 80amp?

I’m looking forward to more also.
It required A/C and rear defroster to get the 80 amp unit.

Old 02-12-2020, 08:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO Kenny View Post
Very nice car. They didn’t make many ram air, 4 speed 3:73 geared 455HO formulas.

Maybe I missed it, what was s the original colour or the car?
Kenny, Lucerne Blue w/Black deluxe interior.

Dennis

Old 02-13-2020, 12:45 AM
Senior Chief

Awesome '71 HO Formula Chris!

Wanted: 71 or 72 Formula HO 4spd - leads very much appreciated.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks to all for the positive comments on the car. It goes without saying that I got real lucky on this one. He’s some answers to some of the questions you’ve posted:

Napster: The underside of the truck lid was repainted when the car was painted, so none of the original Lucern blue is showing on the trunk lid or in the door jambs. There are no decals on the underside of the truck lid either.

72projectbird & 1965gp: The guy who owned the car was named Mark. He has a good friend named Ken Mann, who owns Pacific Pony Cars, a vintage Mustang restoration shop in the Medford Oregon area. When I went to Oregon to see the car, it was at Ken’s shop, which is why there are Mustangs in the background of the pictures. I don’t know anything about Saleen Mustangs, but I think the yellow body shell on the rotisserie is a 1969 Boss 302 (I’m assuming it’s a 69 based on the side stripe). I wish I would have taken some pictures of the cars inside the shop. There was a 1970 Boss 302 and a 1965 Shelby in the shop when I was there. They were both exceptional cars.

ol’ Pinion head: A big shout out to Roger for his help on this car. I’ve owned numerous 1970 Formulas and Trans Ams, and I currently own a 71 Trans Am, but I wasn’t really knowledgable about the specifics of the 1971 Formula 455HO cars. When I heard about this car, I needed some info fast, so I texted Roger and asked for his help. I was aware that Pontiac only built 321 Formula HO cars in 1971, and I knew the car was special, but I didn’t know that only 109 of them had Ram Air, and I didn’t know how many cars came with the M22 (159). Roger helped me out with info and advice. Thank's Roger, I appreciate your help.

Judge273: The alternator is a 1100928 (55 amp) with an open face front case. The date code is 1A28 (January 28, 1971), which is perfect for a car built during the second week of February, so I’m pretty sure its the original one.

BentWheelBob: Based on the options, I’m pretty sure this was a special order car, so you would think they would have ordered the Y99 suspension. At least they ordered the 15 inch rims and the Polyglass tires. Lucern blue with black deluxe interior and honeycombs is just fine with me, so I won’t complain.

I love your black car, but I’m going to resist temptation to try and make this car perfect. Right now the plan is to fix the little things and make it a safe, reliable driver. Later, I might do a body-on restoration and repaint it the correct Lucern blue. I can do all of this and won’t be upside-down (money-wise), because I got the car for a very reasonable price. I like to drive my cars, so if I stick to this plan, the car will be nice, but not so nice that I won’t want to drive it. Just an FYI, If I do repaint the car, I’m going to follow your lead and remove the rear spoiler since this car was originally built without one.

Pepper Judge: I’ve got two Ontario cars now, and they’re both in real good condition, probably because they were well cared for by their owners. When I bought the Formula, I didn’t know what the CFB decal was for, but I did an internet search and discovered that CFB stood for Canadian Forces Base. I received some work orders with the car, and one was dated May of 1994 for an engine rebuild at a machine shop called Straight Line Racing in Scarborough Ontario. I couldn’t make out the signature, (I've since learned his name was Randy MacDonald) but I did a search of the phone number and got a hit on a residence in Trenton which was only a short drive to CFB Trenton, so I’m guessing that MacDonald was either stationed at the base or maybe was a civilian employee. Thanks for the info on Hogan Pontiac and your offer to help find any previous owners. I’ll PM you later about that.

SD455DJ: Dennis, I’ve been wanting one of these cars for a while now. As you know, I was trying to buy the car you bought out of Toronto but shoulder surgery caused me to have to wait, and you got the car instead. I guess it worked out okay for the both of us. It's hard to believe that a Formula Firebird didn’t come standard with a Formula steering wheel, but this one didn't. I'll keep my eyes open for a correct deluxe steering wheel, but won't put it on if I find one. I'm going to leave the Formula wheel on the car. Regarding the sheet metal, it's in good shape and would only require minimal body work prior to a repaint.

Yes, no bird emblem on the dash bezel. We’ve discussed this on your thread for your RA III Formula. I’ve never seen this before except on cars with a/c and rally gauges. I don’t know why there is no emblem on mine, but I already bought an NOS emblem and will probably add it because it should have one. The bezel doesn’t look right without the emblem.

bird72: I just checked the sway bars on both my cars and the ones on the Formula are the same as the ones on the Trans Am, 1 1/4 on the front and 7/8 on the rear.

Baron: I agree that the GM of Canada info is a good thing. For example, my 71 Trans Am only has three options on the PHS, pushbutton AM radio, read seat speaker, and front floor console. However, the GM of Canada document shows all the individual stuff that is included in the Trans Am package, including “N98 Wheel - Rally II Road”, so I know it originally had KR's on it even though it had honeycombs on it when I got the car. I would not have known what wheels originally came on the car if it hadn’t been sold new in Canada. The GM of Canada documents also provides the name and address of the dealer the car was shipped to, which you won’t get from PHS when the car is shipped to Canada.

Johnny: There were a few errors on the GM of Canada paperwork when I got it, but I called them and spoke to George Zapora directly and he corrected them. He said the guy who did my request was new and didn’t have a lot of experience. (They listed my engine size as 454 instead of 455). Anyway, George took care of it and sent me a corrected copy.

Chris

Last edited by eaglesan13; 02-13-2020 at 01:36 AM.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Chris,

Did the air cleaner have studs? Brackets?

Old 02-13-2020, 08:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Chris...you do know we are going to need to post more pictures...and lots of them. Seriously, I'm really envious of your new find and happy you got one. It is a fantastic score! I'd leave the dash 'Bird" emblem off if it didn't come with it originally...or just double sided tape it on. Sooo cool!!!

Dennis

Old 02-13-2020, 08:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I'd leave the dash 'Bird" emblem off if it didn't come with it originally...or just double sided tape it on. Sooo cool!!!

Magnetic tape!

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 02-13-2020, 08:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
Magnetic tape!

That's an even better idea! Thanks John!

Dennis

Old 02-13-2020, 01:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesan13 View Post
Thanks to all for the positive comments on the car. It goes without saying that I got real lucky on this one. He’s some answers to some of the questions you’ve posted:

bird72: I just checked the sway bars on both my cars and the ones on the Formula are the same as the ones on the Trans Am, 1 1/4 on the front and 7/8 on the rear.

Chris
Thanks.... That really makes the car a TA under the skin and with other options and colors, about 'Perfect". Very happy for you, and the encouraging thing for everyone is that these cars are out there still