Old 05-23-2020, 04:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 68 Rear Speaker Grill

Thinking about rear speaker options. 68 GTO Hardtop

I want to keep the car as original as when sold which was a front speaker AM radio and a cardboard package tray. (Original family owned)
And I want to add a rear speaker which was a dealer installed option and included the switch, speaker, speaker cover and wiring.

I have everything needed except the package tray and speaker grill.

Options:
1. Mesh tray when installing a rear speaker. (Easy way but only as a factory rear speaker install)
2. Original cardboard tray with speaker grill as a dealer install.

I'm leaning to option 2 but have a question regarding the speaker grill.
What screws the grill to the speaker housing?
Mounting tabs sold by our sponsor and others are for use with the mesh tray and no grill.
Mounting bolts with grill attachment screws are for convertibles.

Now I'm not generally a fan of OPGI but they sell the convertible speaker mounting kit with a description that states the convertible kit was also used for the dealer installed coupe speaker grill. No other vendor uses this description.

Is OPGI actually correct?

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 05-25-2020, 02:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They are correct that the dealer install of a rear speaker on a coupe uses the same hardware as a factory or dealer install of a rear speaker on a convertible.

The bolts you need are unique in that you first bolt the speaker under the metal package shelf with the head of the bolt ending up on top in the interior and then the nut going in from the trunk side. then you lay the speaker grille over top of the cardboard package tray and small screws screw through the grille into threaded holes in the heads of the speaker bolts.

Ames sells them (M181B) but I would recommend buying them from inline since the ones from Ames do not include the nut and the thread count is unusual so hard to find the correct nuts, also Ames is more expensive. The Inline PN is INL13361. You need 4 per speaker.

If you are using a factory speaker you should also add a speaker enclosure like the factory did (the repro's speakers wont accept an enclosure since the magnet is different). These enclosures direct more sound into the interior rather than into the trunk.

Lastly the factory only installed speakers on the right side on A bodies but since you are doing a dealer install set up you might want to install a second speaker on the left also. With two rears the front to rear fade is much more natural than with just one rear.

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
Old 05-25-2020, 07:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you North.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express