Old 06-13-2020, 03:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Anyone run pro Systems carbs

Upgrading to a dominator carb (alcohol) and have been checking around w various builders. Pro systems has best price and appears to have good reviews but they recommend their vacuum fuel regulator for electric fuel pumps.
My old carb (975cfm 4150) was built by Rupert and I liked it (Used standard pressure reg w no vacuum line to carb). I called Rupert and his price for a rebuilt old gen hp dominator he had lying around was only few hundred cheaper than billet APD new carb.
Just looking for any feedback on racers using pro systems set up.
Thanks

Old 06-13-2020, 03:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pro Systems made me a 1300cfm dominator. Ran great. Never a problem. And if you have a question, Patrick usually responds within a day.
I recently bought a used PS 1050 dominator with billet metering blocks. Hope to be trying it out soon.

Previous - 2001 Jerry Haas-built P/S Grand Am - former WJ car, Hoffman Racing 535" IA2, Tiger Heads/Intake, Single Dominator, PG
Best ET: 7.776 @ 175.94, 1.096 60', 2375 lbs.
Old 06-13-2020, 03:57 PM
Boost Engineer

Pro Systems buys the same Holley Components, for example: Shaker455 and a few other carb rebuilders/tuners. I have inspected their calibrations (when people sent me their carbs for another opinion) and found that their carbs were similar to quite a few other Carb builders stuff. Braswell, Rupert, Sean Murphy, etc.

If you are concerned about price then PRO Systems surely fits into your requirements.

They buy parts from the same people I have purchased parts from for the last 20 years.

Tom V.

Boosted carbs I like C&S, then CSU for their Blow Thru Carbs.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-13-2020, 04:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I understand the folks at Pro Systems are Pontiac people. Know them very well.

Old 06-13-2020, 04:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for replies
Figured best info would be from people who have actually raced them

The Following User Says Thank You to ejw For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2020, 04:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought a Used billet apd on shakers advice actually. Why mess around. I haven’t run it yet. It will keep till next year

1972 Maverick under slow construction
Old 06-13-2020, 05:41 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
I understand the folks at Pro Systems are Pontiac people. Know them very well.
I never heard that Patrick is a Pontiac fan but he does build one damn nice carb.

He is also the only one I know of that gives you his personal cell number in case you have an issue any time, anywhere and he answers it.

Old 06-13-2020, 05:48 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejw View Post
Thanks for replies
Figured best info would be from people who have actually raced them
If you want a race opinion then talk to Jim Hand. It was not a Dominator Carb, (it was a HP 1000) and with
that carb he ran his best time ever in his wagon years ago.
He had me look it over and I gave him the info on what was done to the carb. That is the only Pontiac
"Pro Systems" carb I have been involved with. Lots of other people' Race Carb Dominators though.
Think I have done about 500 for people back in the days when Holley did their Track rebuilds for free for the racers. Send Jim Hand or Tom Hand a note if you want.

Tom V.

Since I used to build them for the racers I would say my comments are appropriate here in the race section.
Doubt if many are anywhere close to that number.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-13-2020, 05:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks guys, I think I’ll call pro systems this week and talk a little more with them. I’d like to ask a few more questions about their fuel regulator they say you need to use if running an electric pump

Old 06-13-2020, 06:12 PM

I race a pro systems dominator,no issues at all..great carb. Patrick also helped me with some tuneing for the street. 535 pump gas best pass to date 10.06 &134..3750#
Hope this helps

Old 06-13-2020, 07:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Tom v no issues w your comments, all input appreciated

Old 06-13-2020, 08:36 PM
Suspended

Mine of course I have 2 of them!

GTO George
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F5668DFF-F9CE-4FB7-A0FC-28158A7EFC00.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	542385  

Old 06-13-2020, 09:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I know some guys running alcohol May Race Carbs. They run real consistent.

Old 06-14-2020, 03:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
I never heard that Patrick is a Pontiac fan but he does build one damn nice carb.

He is also the only one I know of that gives you his personal cell number in case you have an issue any time, anywhere and he answers it.
I hear he is a fan from a good source. Its my understanding the high end Pontiac cabs have extra fuel in the mid range. I have a Dale Cubic 1400cfm carb and talked to Dale about it. He also told me Pontiacs take a higher cfm carb due to their long strokes. Lot of "suck" to them.
I am dealing with Performance Carb and they tell me a 1050 will run better, ET better than a 1150 Vizards program tells me to run. I am sending my 1050 with their billet metering plates that turn a 3 circuit into a 2 circuit back to get calibrated and their annular billet boosters installed with double the holes the Holley ones have. Cost about 375$ to have it done. And they told me they can make sure their is extra fuel in the mid range. Will take calls at the dyno/track for tuning advice.
I hear the billet head/block Visner guys are Pontiac fellows too. Its why they make the parts. Have to love the brand, not much demand for a Pontiac billet block. Make a lot more money building parts for other brands.

Old 06-14-2020, 09:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I hear he is a fan from a good source. Its my understanding the high end Pontiac cabs have extra fuel in the mid range.
What is considered mid range?
On my engine i've had to lean out the intermediate circuit. Both cubic carbs, every engine is different though.

Old 06-14-2020, 11:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I tried 2 different custom built Pro System carbs, both slowed me down this was in the late 90's early 2000's.Back to back test with a Barry Grant Race Demon and a Holley HP. BG was always faster. Patrick had a Trans Am drag car at one time many years back.

66 GTO 389 3x2, 4 speed, 4.33 gear, Montero Red 33K original Miles
67 GTO 2dr Post, 428, Tri Power, 3.55 Gears
80 Trans Am Black SE Y84 W72 WS6
Old 06-14-2020, 12:41 PM
Boost Engineer

I remember that conversation at Norwalk, years ago Mike, When you told me that the Pro Systems carb was slower than the BG or the Holley you had.

The BG carb you got was a good one. When Cliff Dynoed his 4781 Holley carb and KRE told him do not touch it, it is perfect, I was glad that he had a Holley carb that was comparable to his Rochester Q-jet.

Tom V.

Old 06-14-2020, 01:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I hear he is a fan from a good source. Its my understanding the high end Pontiac cabs have extra fuel in the mid range. I have a Dale Cubic 1400cfm carb and talked to Dale about it. He also told me Pontiacs take a higher cfm carb due to their long strokes. Lot of "suck" to them.
I am dealing with Performance Carb and they tell me a 1050 will run better, ET better than a 1150 Vizards program tells me to run. I am sending my 1050 with their billet metering plates that turn a 3 circuit into a 2 circuit back to get calibrated and their annular billet boosters installed with double the holes the Holley ones have. Cost about 375$ to have it done. And they told me they can make sure their is extra fuel in the mid range. Will take calls at the dyno/track for tuning advice.
I hear the billet head/block Visner guys are Pontiac fellows too. Its why they make the parts. Have to love the brand, not much demand for a Pontiac billet block. Make a lot more money building parts for other brands.
So what are your specs and which formula or program of David's (Vizard) are you using? If I had that information earlier this morning, I could have ask David when I was talking with him.

Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm
Old 06-14-2020, 06:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
What is considered mid range?
On my engine i've had to lean out the intermediate circuit. Both cubic carbs, every engine is different though.
I called him asking if the carb I have would work for a dyno test on the 461. He said there was a small chance but it would fall on its face at part throttle.
Asked about Pontiacs needing more fuel, used the term mid range and he confirmed it. Also wanted to know why Pontiacs can take so much carb and he said long stroke. The discussion never got technical just wanted to know if trying the 1400 carb was crazy or not.

Old 06-14-2020, 07:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Weiss View Post
So what are your specs and which formula or program of David's (Vizard) are you using? If I had that information earlier this morning, I could have ask David when I was talking with him.

Stan
Engine is the basic specs I gave you awhile back but different cam. .440 lobe, .264.274, 112.
Only thing I know about the dyno program is it is the 800$ version and you are supposed to be a engine builder to get it.
Since I bracket race the 1150 carb is not needed vs the 1050. I should dip into the 9s as is.
Since I am a Native Tribal member they are giving us 1250$ for Covid relief. I could buy the carb but a 650,750, 850, 1050 and 1400 is enough. Need to thin out my carb and intake collection as it is. I sold my NW intake but want another one, I might have a intake fetish/problem. Is there a 12 step program LOL ?

BTW, my carb guy at Performance Cab tells me wet flow on a 1050 is 1121 cfm and a 1150 has 1176cfm wet flow so its not as big a difference as you think. Its one of ghe reasons he tells me the 1050 will ET better with a heavy car vs a little more power on the dyno with 1150. Smaller bores, more velocity get the pig moving.