Old 06-28-2019, 06:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Correct Water Pump Castings by the Year...to good not to repost

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
Missed catching this thread originally, ran across it a few weeks ago as was doing a search on 1972 & Lloyds post popped up.

Made a post it note to get back to the topic as basically what is above has some partially correct info, & a lot that is incorrect. Thought I had given this info a few years ago to Thomas DeMauro for the use in his GTO book, may not have made it

Here are are correct Pontiac V8 w/p CASTING NUMBER applications for '70 through '81 models.

9798124:
'70 model & extremely early '71 models. By extremely early, the only original "124"s I've ran across on original '71 engines, were on late GxxO cast engines. Looking at one of the later ones I have, it was cast D270. In the past, have had several '124's that were cast in (E) May of '70.

482138:
Earliest I've run across were cast in Hxx0. There may be some Gxx0 dated ones, but cant remember pulling one. The "138" casting number of pumps were cast for a span of about 18 months, basically cast up in to the winter of '71/possibly early Jan of '72. Have had dozens of "138"s, been pulling them for dates for 15 years, currently have half a dozen... always buying them & having them rebuilt.

488296:
Earliest I have is dated B082. Had it rebuilt for my late '72 T/A (03E). The B082 dated "296" casting also has a small '72 on the face. Same font letters were used in '73. Will have to ck any '74's I might have.

488296 continued on throughout the '70's... basically it is the most common "tall" w/p casting. The font & style of casting numbers got much bigger as the '70's rolled along. Even original Pontiac 301 & 265 waterpumps were built from this casting, be it with a different design low drag cast impeller. Often the impellers have been changed at rebuilders, so don't count today, on a very late dated one to have it's original low drag cast impeller.
I wish to greatly thank PY online forum member “Ol Pinion Head”, for his contributions and for sharing his vast knowledge & experience with all of us. It is deeply appreciated by myself and many others here at PY forums.

Sincerely,
1971455HO (member)

Pigeon Forge, Tn. Grand Rod Run Spring 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUIuGvWWthA

http://s223.photobucket.com/user/fas...d%20Run%202012

Son video'd this...
http://s223.photobucket.com/user/fas...a.mp4.html?o=0