Old 01-23-2019, 11:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default got a chance to buy a 1970 t/a

went to see a 1970 t/a white with blue interior . the owner did not give much time to check it out but says that it has the original engine in it . the car looks like it is all there and will need to be restored . my question is if it does not have the original engine in it, is it still worth to buy it . i am going back to take a more intense look at it before i make up my mind

Old 01-23-2019, 11:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by grd777 View Post
is it still worth to buy it .
Just my opinion, if you are looking to restore it and then sell it, no. If you plan to keep it then it might make sense depending upon what shape it is really in and to a lesser extent how it was optioned(auto/manual, etc.).

1970 Buick Skylark Custom convertible(driver) Fire Red
1972 Buick GS 455 Stage 1 Royal Blue
Old 01-24-2019, 12:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wovenweb View Post
Just my opinion, if you are looking to restore it and then sell it, no. If you plan to keep it then it might make sense depending upon what shape it is really in and to a lesser extent how it was optioned(auto/manual, etc.).
thanks but what if the engine is not matching . is it still god to buy it

Old 01-24-2019, 12:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

it probably cones down to price.

if you're hoping to flip it, then the engine will be a huge deal, if you are thinking of keeping it (for at least a while) then the egine being mia will make the car worth less...

Please share some pictures & info!!

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 01-24-2019, 01:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Figure 30K to restore it minimum, and have it a #2 car , IF its all there and not rotted

Old 01-24-2019, 04:55 AM
Suspended

Stupid question without saying what the price is. Is it worth it, yes, it is worth something. What is something, that depends.
So maybe you need to have a closer look to see if the engine is original, if it is important to you. If he doesn't let you, then assume it isn't, and offer price accordingly.

Old 01-24-2019, 05:52 AM

IMO.... yes buy it even without the motor, They are too hard to come by...but it does of course come down to price.

Old 01-24-2019, 10:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

IMO (only) a 4 speed NOM 70 TA is a fantastic find still. And desirable market wise. An auto is also, but, maybe a notch down in market subtraction.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My 2c. Im a glutton for punishment and love a challenge. To me they are all worth it. Being an early trans am it is def. worth the price of admission. BUT, it all depends on the ends to the means. If you are looking for a car to restore then sell at top dollar, then original drive train is very important. If you want to end up with a great car to have and drive around and have fun with, then original motor means nothing. With current values of the early cars on the rise, even with a replacement motor I would think a 70 t/a restored would still bring in 40k plus. Maybe add 30% or more if original motor. If you are a serious buyer and the seller is serious you may be able to negotiate a price depending on the numbers. If I were in youre position and the price was in the right ballpark I would not let a replacement motor blow the deal.

Old 01-24-2019, 12:00 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus78Formula View Post
Stupid question without saying what the price is. Is it worth it, yes, it is worth something. What is something, that depends.
So maybe you need to have a closer look to see if the engine is original, if it is important to you. If he doesn't let you, then assume it isn't, and offer price accordingly.
Yes and knowing the price helps when asking for "advice" on a value.

Its kind of like saying, I got a bridge for sale. Don't worry about the price or where it is, its worth it. Is it worth it?

Old 01-24-2019, 12:12 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
Yes and knowing the price helps when asking for "advice" on a value.

Its kind of like saying, I got a bridge for sale. Don't worry about the price or where it is, its worth it. Is it worth it?
Right, without knowing if this is a $6K buy in or a $20K buy in it's hard to determine a if good purchase.. If the price is set right with or without the correct engine then it is a deal.. Chances are your not going to steal it either way as the seller obviously knows (or thinks they know) what they have.. I did it the wrong way many (25) years ago on my 1969 and paid too much for what I got but I still have it today to do with what I want and could still double my money with the drive train not # matching.
Initial investment required determines the path you can take and still feel comfortable about it...

Old 01-24-2019, 12:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I literally just went through the same thing, buying a white/blue 70T/A.

I'd buy it as long as the price is realistic. It's hard to put a value on it without seeing pics, but if it has all of it's original parts I would scoop it up for sure!

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 01-24-2019, 01:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, there's a lot of factors. 70 TA all there is an amazing thing. Not many have there their OEM parts. Big money items even if block is matching, 12 bolt rear, M-21 trans, Carb, Alt, Thin lip shaker, JWs, seats, dash, as interior color unique.

Los to see and decide.

Old 01-24-2019, 02:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
thanks but what if the engine is not matching . is it still god to buy it
As others have said, depends on the price.

1970 Buick Skylark Custom convertible(driver) Fire Red
1972 Buick GS 455 Stage 1 Royal Blue
Old 01-24-2019, 02:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

frankly, when my finances level out, I hope to come across a 70 automatic TA with the wrong engine, or no engine, and needing some work... my YZ engine needs a good home
(once I have another engine up and running for my car that it )

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 01-24-2019, 09:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge273 View Post
Yes, there's a lot of factors. 70 TA all there is an amazing thing. Not many have there their OEM parts. Big money items even if block is matching, 12 bolt rear, M-21 trans, Carb, Alt, Thin lip shaker, JWs, seats, dash, as interior color unique.

Los to see and decide.
yes looks like it has all that and more what should i offer ir 1 it has the original engine
and 2 if it does not . it will need a major restore done

Old 01-24-2019, 09:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwfisher View Post
Right, without knowing if this is a $6K buy in or a $20K buy in it's hard to determine a if good purchase.. If the price is set right with or without the correct engine then it is a deal.. Chances are your not going to steal it either way as the seller obviously knows (or thinks they know) what they have.. I did it the wrong way many (25) years ago on my 1969 and paid too much for what I got but I still have it today to do with what I want and could still double my money with the drive train not # matching.
Initial investment required determines the path you can take and still feel comfortable about it...
they may let it go for 6k it is a automatic car

Old 01-24-2019, 10:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
they may let it go for 6k it is a automatic car
Thats a lot of money.

Old 01-24-2019, 10:04 PM
Suspended

Being 1970 with lots of one-year parts, it depends how many still exist and are usable in 50 year-old condition. Replacements are expensive and hard to find, many are not reproduced. It also depends if you planned to restore it to that kind of condition, with or without original engine, or simply wanted a neat 70 cruiser, perhaps with many original parts no longer present. What you want and will be happy with dictates a lot about how much you should spend and how much you will have to spend later. Regardless, use any missing parts, different engine, etc to bring the price down, even if that doesn't bother you in the end. As others have said, a 'restored' 1970 model is pretty cool regardless. It's better than not having one!

Old 01-24-2019, 10:06 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by weranc55 View Post
Thats a lot of money.
How much do you put on something you may never see for sale again? Someone overseas will happily pay that, and just as much again just to get it shipped, then the cost of shipping and taxes on every single part that it requires. You don't have it too bad.