Old 02-16-2019, 04:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Recent Reproduction Battery

Anyone buy one recently? The only 2 i can find for a 65 are at NPD and Antique Auto Battery. I know the ones at AAB were having problems with charging because of the AGM battery inside the case. The one at NPD is a wet cell but looks to be the better of the 2 options. Anyone know of any other sources? I prefer not to use a battery topper.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:33 AM

I bought one from NPD for my 67 Firebird 3 years back, still going strong. Love the look.

Old 02-17-2019, 01:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default battery

AGM repo battery is only made by Jim's battery MFG. formally antique auto battery Battery central mall sells that battery but is made by Jim's. The AGM battery does not leak like the wet type which is a plus. the only downside is it's tough to rebuild . the AGM battery inside s epoxied to the bottom of the case with about 1/2 in. of epoxy. AGM battery inside could have been laying around a year or two before being installed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery guts.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	505821   Click image for larger version

Name:	BATTERY #33.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	505822   Click image for larger version

Name:	BATTERY #34.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	505823  

Old 02-17-2019, 04:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Those look like autopsy photos 8Lug. I take it that one was already dead? Hard call which way to go. The AGM battery is about $100 more. I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not sure if I'm looking at this wrong as far as price. Looks like the price is practically the same:
http://antiqueautobattery.com/batter...C12-Delco.html

https://www.npdlink.com/product/batt...1964&year=1964

I think the AAB looks nicer. But looks don't get you home. At least as far as batteries go....Lol

Old 02-19-2019, 02:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tony - I ended up ordering the NPD battery. Tried and true technology. I've seen too many people having problems with that AAB battery, and then having problems getting them replaced under warranty. Turbo Start Batteries is coming out with a true AGM reproduction battery. I spoke with them this week and it is in process, but no ETA on delivery. I figure i'll go with the NPD for now. By the time it dies, Turbo Start shoud have theirs avilable and the bugs worked out of it. Plus i won't activate the NPD battery with the acid until i'm ready to drop it in the car for good. https://turbostart.com/product/dc12rbnf/

Old 07-18-2019, 03:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How are you liking the battery? Trying to decide on a battery for my 68. I went to NPD's site, but only finding battery toppers. I have seen some of those toppers that look ok, but others on top of batteries that are too small. That is not a good look.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 07-18-2019, 03:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd like to know what you guys find out, also. I had a tar top for my '64 GTO that died after five years. Still cosmetically good, but dead as a doornail.

For now, the fake plastic tops are on both our '64's.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 07-18-2019, 05:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Boneske View Post
I'd like to know what you guys find out, also. I had a tar top for my '64 GTO that died after five years. Still cosmetically good, but dead as a doornail.

For now, the fake plastic tops are on both our '64's.
wet cell or dry cell battery Dick. Went through 3 batteries in 16 yrs. That's about $50 a year, seems like a cheap price if you want correctness. But that's just me.

Old 03-02-2021, 01:17 PM

Default AAB vs JIMs

My AAB was six years old and i had to charge it more often. I was afraid it was going out..It has an OPTIMA RED TOP inside the case.. I bought a Jims battery and you can hardly tell them apart. Look down in the battery cap holes and you can see the Optima. The secret to keep them good is to use the OPTIMA battery charger. Best charger I ever used. Both my batteries can now be used whenever with no worries. I bought the charger after I bought the Jims battery.. A little pricy but I don't care..It will bring a dead battery back to life. Summit- $200.00 shipped.