Old 07-09-2019, 11:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

From what I have seen in person, a 1970 with HD cooling option, got a 4 core. HD Cooling was listed separate of the AC option and was additional cost. I have one from a original car I parted last year. Its not easy to access right now, but the car was an automatic, and had air Conditioning, and it had the Plastic "air dam" cover on the top of the core support to aid in cooling efficiency.

Old 07-09-2019, 11:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 1972 Trans Am formula radiator were they 3 core or 4 core?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
From what I have seen in person, a 1970 with HD cooling option, got a 4 core. HD Cooling was listed separate of the AC option and was additional cost. I have one from a original car I parted last year. Its not easy to access right now, but the car was an automatic, and had air Conditioning, and it had the Plastic "air dam" cover on the top of the core support to aid in cooling efficiency.

I’m pretty well versed in the 70. The reason the HD cooling was an additional option was because it was not only a stand alone option but a required option if you wanted the M-21 and the 3.73. HD cooling was mandatory with A/C in 70 and 71 and as such was part of the package so you won’t see it listed as an option if you have A/C as an option. This is why I asked the initial question in the first place. 72 as has been illustrated is a one off year where 4 core wasn’t available like it was in 70 and 71.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-09-2019, 11:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTASSBIRD View Post
I’m pretty well versed in the 70. The reason the HD cooling was an additional option was because it was not only a stand alone option but a required option if you wanted the M-21 and the 3.73. HD cooling was mandatory with A/C in 70 and 71 and as such was part of the package so you won’t see it listed as an option if you have A/C as an option. This is why I asked the initial question in the first place. 72 as has been illustrated is a one off year where 4 core wasn’t available like it was in 70 and 71.

What I said doesnt conflict with what you said except This car was auto, and had 3.08 12 bolt , and as I recall the HD cooling was extra cost . but I would need the PHS/window sticker to verify that. Any 72's I have owned and own, do not have a 4 core , so I guess that helps verify the '72's.

Old 07-10-2019, 07:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Yea, between your radiator the application chart and a couple others I feel pretty confident that even the HD Cooling radiators were 3 core fore whatever reason. I will search the FI tank code to check on the auto version. If you ever have the chance can you try and see if your radiator has the IA stamped tank or not? neither of mine do and I am pretty sure they have NEVER been apart.
It has the embossed stamp like the other tank.

Old 07-11-2019, 01:19 AM
Senior Chief

For what it’s worth.
71 455HO formula 4 speed 3.73 gears
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	64BCBAA2-6568-4829-A8C0-248DCA40FCE6.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	515621  

Old 07-11-2019, 11:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO Kenny View Post
For what it’s worth.
71 455HO formula 4 speed 3.73 gears
Would like to see the PHS on a 373 equipped 71 Firebird

Old 07-13-2019, 12:10 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellyshavilli View Post
Would like to see the PHS on a 373 equipped 71 Firebird
So would I. I keep procrastinating getting it.

Old 07-13-2019, 12:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
The passenger side Tanks are 3 and 4 core units, Harrison used a smaller drivers side tank (IA for 3 core IF for 4 core) as well as different cores. If you look at Eagles pic closely, you can see about a full inch of space between the actual core and the end of the plat that the tank is crimped and sautered to. If you look REAL close you can actually see the divots where it would be stamped out to be used with a 4 core center. This is why you will see CV or CU on both 3 core AND 4 core radiators This is the same across the platforms as well. for example 70 Chevelle AND 70 GTO both used the SAME radiator tanks. using the auto as an example got you XI/IA for 3 core and XI/IF for HD Cooling
Harrison also used different core designs in their 3 core radiator applications, depending on cooling needs.

Old 07-13-2019, 12:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Goat View Post
This won't specifically answer your question, but may help.

I have documented three '73 4-speed SD Trans Am's with their original 3 core radiator. One is a 12k mile 4-speed, non air. Another is my 32k mile 4-speed, non air. If you didn't order a/c or HD cooling, you got the three core radiator along with the 114 fan shroud.
To add... the only '73 production dated 4 core 4-speed radiators I've ran across came out of 455 Dport 4spd AC cars.

Was HDC even avail on '73 4spd SD car, realize AC wasn't.

Old 07-17-2019, 01:29 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
To add... the only '73 production dated 4 core 4-speed radiators I've ran across came out of 455 Dport 4spd AC cars.

Was HDC even avail on '73 4spd SD car, realize AC wasn't.

I know for a fact HD cooling was available on the SD cars both auto AND 4 Speed ( I have a picture of an original tag on a 4 core auto radiator in a VEEEEEERY low mileage SD. I also have a 73 SD 4 speed 4 core radiator dated March 73 with a 74 radiator tag ala SD cars. The SD was very late production and they used 74 radiator tags. This has been confirmed by a couple low mile survivors including the one I have the picture of. As for A/C, I thought you could get A/C in the SD with an automatic. Not that any of this helps my question as I’m concerned with 72 production which seems to be substantiated by the earlier posts

Old 07-17-2019, 06:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

My 70 is an M21 3.73, so it got the HD cooling. I have the original radiator, and I believe its a 4 core. It certainly is hefty.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 07-18-2019, 01:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72projectbird View Post
My 70 is an M21 3.73, so it got the HD cooling. I have the original radiator, and I believe its a 4 core. It certainly is hefty.

Yes. 70 and 71 both used 4 core radiators. 72 seems to be the odd ball. I have never seen a 72 dated 4 core but have a couple 3 cores both of which came from cars that for certain would have been HD cooling cars.

Old 07-18-2019, 01:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

well I'm glad I subscribed to this thread, I have once again learned something new!

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)