Old 07-12-2005, 03:09 PM

I have a 69 Grand Prix with the stock alternator and the voltage regulator mounted on the firewall. I'd like to upgrade it to an alternator with a internal voltage regulator. Does anyone know of any websites or info on how to do this, including which parts to use and if it will require different bracketry?

Old 07-12-2005, 03:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Get a Delco 10SI/12SI from about '74 to late '80's. They drop right in. The 10SI tops out at about 65 A. and the 12SI goes up to about 95 A. I think.

Jump two wires at the old reg, put a different connector on at the alt, and you are good to go.

For more info do a search in the electrical forum or go to http://www.madelectrical.com for more info.

George

Old 07-12-2005, 07:45 PM

Thanks George! Just the info I needed.

Old 07-14-2005, 03:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just did exaclt as george prescribed. Not installed yet but i bought the 94 amp 12si for a 84 z28 305 HO.

I also bought the MAD kit (have not recived it yet).

I considered going with the CS130 BUT you have to change the pully and certainly dont want to have to do that on the side of the road.

John

Old 07-14-2005, 09:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I may be too late to help, but you can get a "one wire self exciting " 10SI alternator. They are commonly used on vintage tractors, and all they require is a single 12 volt connection that is hot only when the ignition is in the 'on' position. We sell them where I work ( a Nationwide Automotive Wholsaler), and I put one on a 68 Catalina convert. I had that was a wiring nightmare, looked factory, worked beautifully, cost about $35.00. I just used the original input wire to the voltage regulator. I left the volt reg on the car, and only a sharp-eyed Pontiac buff might notice the alternator was the later style. Hope this helps. Daver

P.S. There are also Stator and Armature kits available to increase the 10SI output to 80, 105, and 130 amps.

----------------------------------------------------------

2004 Grand Prix GT daily driver
1974 LeMans GT 455
Old 07-15-2005, 07:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I personnally would not use kits to increase a 10SI output. The factory limited the output on a 10SI for a reason.

For greater output Delco designed a 12SI; better cooling, etc.

george