Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-29-2014, 07:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Sun 504 distributor machine

I was just offered such a distributor machine. Can I test all distributors with such a machine ? I mean by there points, HEI, MSD, Mallory, etc etc ?

I've been wanting to experiment different curves for a while and I think this machine could be real fun.

I'd like to know what you guys think.

Frank.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My old Sun machine required the purchase of an amplifier box to do the distributors with a magnetic sensor (such as HEI and most of the MSD's). The amplifier was pricy and cost almost as much as I paid for my machine. Without the extra box you can still do a bunch of different distributors: points, Crane XRi, M&H, Pertronics, and Unilite. Probably many others also, just can't think of any more right now.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There is a guy in Michigan that deals in parts for them. Not cheap, but it's the right stuff.

http://www.paramountd.com/

Old 04-30-2014, 09:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Frank what was the price if you don't mind me asking? I'm trying to buy one from a guy I work with.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't buy the aftermarket amplifier, it's just a 4 pin gm module inside a nice box for 150.00.

The factory Sun box can be built for approx 30.00 and about an hour of time.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A decent 504 that everything works is worth 500.00 average.

A lot of that depends on what part of the world you're in and mainly what you're willing to go on it to own it.

I've bought em as cheap as 100.00 and paid as much as 1000.00.

They don't take much to get up and going, but you need to pay real close attention to the meters. They historically took a beating from fools/clowns tossing leads over the back of the machines and missing. That usually broke the glass faces.

Check to see that the zero adjusts all function as most were nevr used anyway.
Those tend to cause a bit of trouble.

I have the calibration equipment from Sun to fully calibrate the machines also.
I can also repair them and have the parts. No I didn't purchase them from Mark Saunders, I had access to them when Sun was still operational, although I don't repair them for the general public I have been known to refurbish an old soldier or two for friends here in town.

I purchased all my parts out of will to ensure my machines always stay running.

It's gotten to the point where shops have even given me a few to just get them out of the way. So deals can still be found.

Just have to see what you wanna spend versus what the guy selling it wants to take.

Good luck.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tuned View Post
Don't buy the aftermarket amplifier, it's just a 4 pin gm module inside a nice box for 150.00.

Well, that's more inside than what I thought. It really felt like an empty box, or possibly a box with maybe a single capacitor or something similar inside. But on the bright side - it is a really nice bakelite box.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:37 AM
Suspended

I've pasted on a few of them over the years & wish I'd bought every one of them now.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrt View Post
Frank what was the price if you don't mind me asking? I'm trying to buy one from a guy I work with.
the guy is asking $1000, it supposedly works, I offered him $500 on the phone, haven't seen it yet. It comes with the lower cabinet. I'll go and see it in a few days, want to try it but not sure how to test it. I can bring a good working distributor, that is no problem, just don't know how to hook it.

I'm guessing the price will end up around $800.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tuned View Post

Thanks for the info, Sun Tuned. Good to know.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Franky
Pm me your number and I'll tell you some stuff you should look for.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:28 AM
Suspended

I have an Allen distributor machine I tried to sell for 75 bucks but nobody want to pay shipping. some would say they are better than the sun brand

Old 05-03-2014, 12:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankyboy455 View Post
the guy is asking $1000, it supposedly works, I offered him $500 on the phone, haven't seen it yet. It comes with the lower cabinet. I'll go and see it in a few days, want to try it but not sure how to test it. I can bring a good working distributor, that is no problem, just don't know how to hook it.

I'm guessing the price will end up around $800.
The guy I work with that has one bought his for 1400 back in the 80s. I don't think he is going to part with it for anything lower then what he paid for it. Said the guy that had it had around 30 in his basement.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontirag View Post
I have an Allen distributor machine I tried to sell for 75 bucks but nobody want to pay shipping. some would say they are better than the sun brand

still want to sell yours ? any info as to which model ? everything works on it ? Frank.