Old 10-23-2002, 09:18 AM

I've never swapped out distributors before but want to change from points to HEI ignition. Already have the parts , but need to know how to change the wiring in doing this swap . Looks easy, but that is where I always get in trouble. Can anyone tell me the wiring hook-up for this? I have 2 wires to coil + and one to coil - . This is a 74 GTO with 350 Pontiac and 4bbl and 4 on the floor. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Old 10-23-2002, 09:18 AM

I've never swapped out distributors before but want to change from points to HEI ignition. Already have the parts , but need to know how to change the wiring in doing this swap . Looks easy, but that is where I always get in trouble. Can anyone tell me the wiring hook-up for this? I have 2 wires to coil + and one to coil - . This is a 74 GTO with 350 Pontiac and 4bbl and 4 on the floor. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Old 10-23-2002, 11:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What I do is use a relay to provide power to the hei distributor. Use the existing + coil lead to drive the relay. Then wire the power lead (pink)from the distributor to 1 of the relay contacts and constant battery to the other contact. This will provide a constant 12v to the distributor in the run and start modes. alan

Old 10-23-2002, 08:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You will need to dent in your firewall to clear the HEI Distributor. You may also have to change the base on your shaker to a 75 or later Trans Am with a Pontiac engine base. The easiest way to wire your HEI is to run a new wire from the fusebox to your HEI. There already is a 12V hot with the key on only terminal in the fusebox. It may be labeled Ignition. Check it with a volt meter with the key in the on position and you should have 12 to 13 volts. It's been years since I've done this conversion, so i'm going off the top of my head. Just tape up the yellow and black wires to your points dist. and you can always use them if you go back to stock. Or if you want to look stock. put the Pertronix Ignition module in your current distributor and you'll have electronic without smashing your firewall [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

76 GP LJ 400 4BBL T400
78 Chevy 1/2 Ton Truck
Oh yea I love my wife very much
For some reason it got erased when I put it here last time!!!!!! hmmmmmmmm