National Events Events that normally draw audiences from more than a 10 state range

Old 06-03-2015, 10:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
Off-hand I'd say it is setup just like Ame's Pontiac Nationals and Steve Barcak's Pontiac Heaven event.
(and most of the other Pontiac races that have been put on before.)
Uhhh. No its not

Old 06-03-2015, 10:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The rules are pretty clear on their website:

Elite 10 Heads Up - traditional Pontiac only
Super Pro bracket - traditional Pontiac only
Pro bracket - traditional Pontiac only
Street bracket - corporate power allowed if the car came with corporate power; must use DOT tires and closed exhaust.

There was an online opinion poll but the final decision rests with the promoter.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 06-04-2015, 07:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Eric.

Glad they stayed with the traditional Pontiac power.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 06-04-2015, 11:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My opinion, you need every car you can get for an event like this, especially a first year deal. Jim Zeek can clarify that for you! He's been there, done it, several times.
Norwalk is a fluke that just works. Pontiac Heaven on the other side of the world appears to be growing but its nothing like Norwalk.
The Pontiac race that was ran at Bowling Green 3-4 years ago had almost as many Nostalgia cars as it did Pontiac Participants, I was there, I participated, I saw it. And frankly it was a joke.
Excluding newer model Pontiacs that never came with a traditional Pontiac motors is getting asinine. Its the same people who preach the purist pulpit all day long on the internet who either don't show up, compete, have a vehicle to begin with, or actually support the events they put their dumbass .02cents on rules to events that they NEVER participate in.
I was originally planning on attending this event to actually help support it like I have almost every other Pontiac event over the years in the Midwest or east coast but its not happening this time. I hope they get a great turnout and can possibly do it again next year but excluding late models in any of the classes because people don't care or like the LS platform is stupid when your trying to get a new annual event started.

Old 06-04-2015, 02:29 PM
Suspended

1st off they can run in the STREET class, 2nd.........letting them race would increase the head count and help the event. 3rd........ They all had a chance to give their opinion and vote (I did), I guess they didnt speak loud enough. I hope the Pontiac racers show up its a GOOD track with a water park and amusement park to give the racers and their family's something extra to do. Maybe next year they will have another vote and the Chevyiacs will vote.

GTO George

Old 06-06-2015, 09:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Roll Call

I'll be there as a spectator with a couple of buddies (Chevy and Ford guys).
Whose coming to show them how quick our Pontiacs are? Also who's coming to show and sell from here???

Ponchjoe

Old 06-06-2015, 03:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A couple things...

Last years hot rod reunion event at BeechBend there were a few Pontiacs there...ALL of them had their best 60 ft times ever... Mid June hot weather. The track is in good shape. The owners also own Music City 1/8 mile track and went full concrete several years back. If there was a track issue at BeechBend they would likely do the same. Both tracks are well managed.

Agree on allowing late model cars, they should be allowed more than just street class. A friend with an 88 GTA isnt coming because he doesnt want to race street class.
How do we talk him(and many other corporate powered Pontiacs) into real Pontiac power if his 406 sbc doesnt get beat by Pontiac power?
I cant understand not allowing them in the faster classes. It gives the appearance that Pontiac guys might be afraid to lose to a Chevy, which IMO is NOT true.

FWIW I dont like to see corporate power where once was real Pontiac power, however if born with chevy or buick power its still a Pontiac as far as I'm concerned.

Old 06-14-2015, 10:25 PM

Now that the event is over, I have a few comments on previous post from others.

Quote:
So, which is it?

What question exactly did you ask them and what was the answer?

Not sure why you are confused unless you have trouble comprehending what you read.

I was told in an email response that they did not have a race car class (i.e. open header, slick tired, trans brake) for Pontiac’s unless they had a Pontiac V8 engine in them.

I was also told in the same email that the promoters/Sponsors compromised and allowed Pontiacs with non Pontiac engines in them to race in street car class only. BORING!!!

Quote:
Thanks Eric.

Glad they stayed with the traditional Pontiac power.

I am glad as well saved me at least $600.00 for the trip and two very hot days at the track!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOGEORGE View Post
1st… off they can run in the STREET class
2nd....letting them race would increase the head count and help the event
3rd........ They all had a chance to give their opinion and vote (I did), I guess they didnt speak loud enough
4th Maybe next year they will have another vote and the Chevyiacs will vote

GTO George
1. BORING!!!
2. Correct
3. No idea what you are talking about do not live on the internet
4. I looked at the flyer again and the name of the event was US Pontiac Nationals not US Pontiac “Engine only” Nationals. As stated before have old and older Pontiacs, no Chevyiacs. I am just using what Pontiac put in the cars when it left the factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWilkie View Post
A couple things...

Agree on allowing late model cars, they should be allowed more than just street class. A friend with an 88 GTA isn’t coming because he doesn’t want to race street class.

How do we talk him(and many other corporate powered Pontiacs) into real Pontiac power if his 406 sbc doesn’t get beat by Pontiac power?
I can’t understand not allowing them in the faster classes. It gives the appearance that Pontiac guys might be afraid to lose to a Chevy, which IMO is NOT true.
FWIW I don’t like to see corporate power where once was real Pontiac power, however if born with Chevy or Buick power it’s still a Pontiac as far as I'm concerned.

Well put!

During the Pontiac event they had in 2011 at Beech Bend I carried home over 20 time slips that I collected in 2 days of racing and I even finished 3rd in the non electronics race car class I raced in. I remember the staging lanes had no cars in them. The announcer was begging for cars to come up and make a pass so I did sometimes even round robin. I had a great time that weekend!

For what it is worth, I would love to see a 350 CI Pontiac V8 pump gas engine in a 3,300lb Pontiac run in the 10’s in the quarter mile in any kind of weather all day long with no power adder like my Formula does. Best ET to date 10.47 at 127+ MPH at 3,370 lbs.

Also I helped at a 2 day Pontiac event they had last weekend with over 200+ Pontiacs in it. They did not turn one Pontiac away. Somewhere around 80 of those Pontiac participants did not have a Pontiac V8 engine under the hood. It appeared everyone enjoyed seeing all of the cars.

N2

Old 06-15-2015, 11:42 AM

I went to the event and must say I was very disappointed, I’m not sure how many Show cars they had maybe 25, 3 parts venders, and I think maybe 25 race cars total. I would be very surprised if they have another event next year. Plus having the show a week before the Nostalgia drags at the same location probably didn’t help either.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:35 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2RacingV8's View Post
Now that the event is over, I have a few comments on previous post from others.

Not sure why you are confused unless you have trouble comprehending what you read.

I was told in an email response that they did not have a race car class (i.e. open header, slick tired, trans brake) for Pontiac’s unless they had a Pontiac V8 engine in them.

I was also told in the same email that the promoters/Sponsors compromised and allowed Pontiacs with non Pontiac engines in them to race in street car class only. BORING!!!

I am glad as well saved me at least $600.00 for the trip and two very hot days at the track!

1. BORING!!!
2. Correct
3. No idea what you are talking about do not live on the internet
4. I looked at the flyer again and the name of the event was US Pontiac Nationals not US Pontiac “Engine only” Nationals. As stated before have old and older Pontiacs, no Chevyiacs. I am just using what Pontiac put in the cars when it left the factory.

Well put!

During the Pontiac event they had in 2011 at Beech Bend I carried home over 20 time slips that I collected in 2 days of racing and I even finished 3rd in the non electronics race car class I raced in. I remember the staging lanes had no cars in them. The announcer was begging for cars to come up and make a pass so I did sometimes even round robin. I had a great time that weekend!

For what it is worth, I would love to see a 350 CI Pontiac V8 pump gas engine in a 3,300lb Pontiac run in the 10’s in the quarter mile in any kind of weather all day long with no power adder like my Formula does. Best ET to date 10.47 at 127+ MPH at 3,370 lbs.

Also I helped at a 2 day Pontiac event they had last weekend with over 200+ Pontiacs in it. They did not turn one Pontiac away. Somewhere around 80 of those Pontiac participants did not have a Pontiac V8 engine under the hood. It appeared everyone enjoyed seeing all of the cars.

N2
1. CHEVY powered pontiacs.........BORING!
2. No one lives on the Internet........BUT they still voted....... Chevys LOST!
3. They are having the event next year!
4. They quit making Pontiacs when they no longer but a REAL Pontiac engine in them!

GTO George

Old 06-15-2015, 03:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
4. They quit making Pontiacs when they no longer but a REAL Pontiac engine in them!

GTO George
I totally agree with the above statement.
ESPECIALLY # 4

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"
Old 06-15-2015, 04:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
4. They quit making GTOs when they made them look like Novas!

GTO George
Fixed it for you.
Sorry Rob B. ;P

Old 06-15-2015, 09:32 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Zeek View Post
Fixed it for you.
Sorry Rob B. ;P
Jimmy Boy.........I'd rather see a nova with a REAL TRADITIONAL PONTIAC engine in it then screwing up a Pontiac with a JUNK Chevy in it!!!!

GTO George

Old 06-15-2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:

GTO George

You make me chuckle at how you come across in your replies. Since you continue to take pleasure in trashing late model Pontiac's, let me lower myself to your standards one time.

The body style of the car you chose to pass off as a Pontiac and spend money on is a far stretch from what most Pontiac enthusiast recognizes as a Pontiac! You have done a great job bringing it from the 15.7 plus second quarter mile screamer from back in the day to the low 8 second car you so proudly typed in your sig for all to see. By your standards you typed above in item #4 you failed when compared to what you typed in your sig. It is not a real Pontiac engine in your car since you are running an aftermarket highly modified / redesign block and the true Pontiac block that came in the car is long gone. I bet you even have Chevy rods in it, but I digress. I want even discuss the top end of the so call Pontiac engine in your car. It is your car and your money that has been spent, so call it what you want.

You most assuredly spend a lot of your time on the net with that post count!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat Racer View Post
I totally agree with the above statement.
ESPECIALLY # 4
I totally disagree with the above statements from GTO George! So I guess it is safe to say you and I need to agree to disagree! Thanks for your valued input though.

Quote:
Jimmy Boy.........I'd rather see a nova with a REAL TRADITIONAL PONTIAC engine in it then screwing up a Pontiac with a JUNK Chevy in it!!!!

GTO George
This is very amusing since you do not have a real traditional Pontiac engine in your NOVA!

It is safe to say you are a person that thinks he must always get the last word. Let’s see how long it takes before you reply. Go ahead prove me correct. You know I am correct on the other statements as well.

N2

Old 06-15-2015, 10:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

And here's my comment.
A racetrack/promotor/sponsor makes the rules.
They run it, we "the racers" run around in it.
If $600 is too much for a racing budget, and it's too hot, stay out of the kitchen.
If we're bragging ? I finished 2nd in 2011, and got beat by a traditional Pontiac engine.
Last year at Gateway, they had there "super chebby weekend".
Pontiac's with Pontiac engines were NOT invited.
Nor did I wine about it !

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"
Old 06-16-2015, 12:24 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2RacingV8's View Post
You make me chuckle at how you come across in your replies. Since you continue to take pleasure in trashing late model Pontiac's, let me lower myself to your standards one time.

The body style of the car you chose to pass off as a Pontiac and spend money on is a far stretch from what most Pontiac enthusiast recognizes as a Pontiac! You have done a great job bringing it from the 15.7 plus second quarter mile screamer from back in the day to the low 8 second car you so proudly typed in your sig for all to see. By your standards you typed above in item #4 you failed when compared to what you typed in your sig. It is not a real Pontiac engine in your car since you are running an aftermarket highly modified / redesign block and the true Pontiac block that came in the car is long gone. I bet you even have Chevy rods in it, but I digress. I want even discuss the top end of the so call Pontiac engine in your car. It is your car and your money that has been spent, so call it what you want.

You most assuredly spend a lot of your time on the net with that post count!

I totally disagree with the above statements from GTO George! So I guess it is safe to say you and I need to agree to disagree! Thanks for your valued input though.

This is very amusing since you do not have a real traditional Pontiac engine in your NOVA!

It is safe to say you are a person that thinks he must always get the last word. Let’s see how long it takes before you reply. Go ahead prove me correct. You know I am correct on the other statements as well.

N2
DAMN...........where do I even start?
My engine will fit a 389 crankshaft, camshaft & you can bolt on a set of 389 heads on it............yea I'm thinking its a traditional Pontiac engine!
My rods they are GRPs.......they are not a CHEVY rods.
My new 1974 GTO ran 16.1 from the factory, I still have my original bill of sales!
My heads......KRE High Ports will bolt on to a 389- 455 block.
I'm not thrashing late model pontiacs just the JUNK Chevy engines that came in them!
As for my NOVA body style.........it's no different then a firebird/camaro, Grand Prix/Monte Carlo or a GTO/chevelle body style........get the picture!!

GTO George

Old 06-16-2015, 08:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

How many cars were there?????

Rather you like it or not, if the "Pontiac" hobby is to live on and survive to what we know it to be today, you better except, acknowledge, the late model Pontiacs. look around you, who do you see in the hobby right now?? Older guys getting ready to retire some already retired (Some who retired when their 49 ) and then you drop down to the guys like me in their mid-late 40's who were around these cars when they were still obtainable back in the 80's and 90's when we were in high school. Do you see the 20-30 something guys really interested in these cars??? There are some but nothing like it was when we were that age. These guys mainly only know the LS platform or whatever V6 that's their Gran Prix, Grand Am, Bonneville came with. You also have the guys who are considerably older who are selling off their cars or people who inherit them thru some ones estate.
This hobby needs the younger generations who grew up with the later model cars and who gives a rats ass if it not a true "Pontiac" powerplant or not? These cars are branded Pontiac, they have an engine between their wheels that "Pontiac" engineers and bean counters felt should be there. So what's the big deal? Everyone Bitched when Pontiac went away. Why would you have cared since none of them had an original "Pontiac" style motor in them? This could be and has been debated until the cows come home!

You need the younger generation with their late model cars in the hobby, period. That's the best way to expose a generation who have know idea, nor probably care, what a "real Pontiac" is. Only when you get those people in can they see first hand how cool these old cars are and the misconceptions they may have heard about the old Pontiac motors on how they can't be fast, affordable to build, etc etc are thrown out the window. Once this happens, these are the guys who will then hopefully carry on with the hobby by purchasing these older cars from the guys who are retiring, dying, or getting out of the hobby. And if you really think about it, the same principle holds true with the original SBC/BBC's and the new generation LS platforms.
An event that was promoted for almost a year that pulled 20 cars, in my mind, is a total flop. If I was a sponsor that catered not just to Pontiac specific but to other brands also, and had skin in that game, I'd be pissed.
That email N2 mentioned previously went out to someone I knew that was planning on coming. Because of that email, it not only stopped her from attending and racing, it also kept about 5 other guys from bringing their traditional and late model cars to the event.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:01 AM
Suspended

I understand what you are saying. All I'm saying is they took a VOTE, they threw it out there for the RACERS to decide, the racers voted it DOWN! For the record I vote to let them race........just like Norwalk. I figureit would help car count. ( a CHEVY engine in a GTO.....SUCKS plain an simple!
The promoter SPENT the money to rent the track (for 2 days)..........he put up the prize money up and when the cars did show he STILL paid out.
They did have a street class to race in, let's face it most of the CHEVY powered cars run in that class.
Next year it may change (yes they are going to have it again). Hell they can have their own class.
Let me say this LAST thing........if a PROMOTER is gonna spend HIS MONEY for a Pontiac Race at a nice track...............I'm there because when you cut me I BLEED Pontiac......NOT Chevy, I've been RACING Pontiacs since 1974!

GTO George

Old 06-16-2015, 11:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have no dog in this fight but a few observations. The Norwalk event is firmly established and has lots of sponsor support, a single dedicated promoter who began in the Pontiac hay day and the event is at one of the best located and best tracks in the country. It can probably survive on cruise control for another 10-15 years with minor tweaks. A new event like this needs to appeal to a wide audience just to pay the bills, period. Not enough traditional Pontiac racers or show cars to make this event viable unless looking for a tax write off of some kind. From a personal standpoint as a racer, I really like running against other brand cars, whether it be corporate power or other brands. I am a die hard traditional Pontiac engine guy, but I am not going to back down from any other brand. Lets really show them what WE can do with our Pontiac power. We only run Norwalk each year as a single brand event. Other than that, we race all comers. We even ran the Grocery Getter at a NOPI event. That was a drag race for rice grinders!! Had a chance to show those idiots what they were missing. I wish the Pontiac Nationals well, but with the current set of rules, it will be an uphill battle.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You have/had internet keyboard jockeys whom half probably don't have a running car or would participate even if they did, dictating how someone wants to run a race and who can be in it? My opinion, stupid.
If a PROMOTER wants to spend his money for a 2 day track rental, guarantee payout, and all the other stuff that goes with promoting an event, that his choice or risk if your being that narrowminded. I would think doing a little homework on previous all Pontiac events ran in the past 10+ years would have told them that car counts will generally be on the low side, especially on 1st year events, and so with that being the obvious history, one would think you'd learn from the past and allow as many and all the racers and show cars you can! Which would include all cars produce by GM with Pontiac badging!!

For the record, I do not own any LS power planted or late model Pontiac cars.

Last edited by Rob B; 06-16-2015 at 11:28 AM.