WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2008-09 G8 owners > G8 General Tech/Discussion

G8 General Tech/Discussion G8 general tech and discussion area.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default GXP G8

Saw this and wanted to know thoughts about it for an everyday driver?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trkp...4&_sop=3&_sc=1
Old 11-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
Saw this and wanted to know thoughts about it for an everyday driver?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trkp...4&_sop=3&_sc=1
They run like stink, get decent fuel mileage, have a HUGE rear seat and trunk, and do get a ton of looks. Only reason that I am selling mine is I have other irons in the fire right now.

Last edited by Transporter; 11-01-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Mine,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GXP.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	261867  
Old 11-01-2011, 08:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How are they for those longer drives (4-5 hour)? Im look for business road cruiser that also can sport a family of four for a drive here and there.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:14 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
How are they for those longer drives (4-5 hour)? Im look for business road cruiser that also can sport a family of four for a drive here and there.
That is where they are at their best, decent seats, lots of seat room to move around on long trips. The only down side (for some people) is that you ARE running a very low profile tire.

If you are on a rough road you will feel it somewhat, but that is to be expected with any performance car.

I think that it would be a great car for what you are wanting BUT if I WAS on some **** roads a lot of the time I would look at a G8 GT, same car, still good power and handling, just not quite so performance "focused". JMHO

Good luck in your seach, GT's can be had for quite a bit less than the GXP's, there were only 1829 GXP's sold, so to a degree they are aquiring a bit of collectable status.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:43 PM
Senior Chief

Transporter, Is that a Pacific Slate M6 or A6
Old 11-02-2011, 04:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I personally think the trim level on the GXP version is a large step above the GTs. Love the car and want one but the wife refuses to give up her Solstice GXP and I can't have another toy.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio ps View Post
Transporter, Is that a Pacific Slate M6 or A6
Hello Scorpio, yes it is a Pacific Slate and it is an A6, I'm sure you know that there were only about 5 cars built in that configuration. It is one of the rarest, it also has no roof, had to buy it in AZ and had it shipped to Kansas.

Could not find a PSM A6 without a roof anywhere else.

Stan
Old 11-02-2011, 05:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by critter View Post
I personally think the trim level on the GXP version is a large step above the GTs. Love the car and want one but the wife refuses to give up her Solstice GXP and I can't have another toy.
I would agree that there is quite a bit of difference, but if he is looking for a car with lots of room that still handles and runs well, there are not a lot of choices out there.

I just thought that the GT would give him a lot more options, although I did forget to mention, no gear box in the GT, auto's only.

BTW, I love the way the Solstice GXP coupe looks, but I don't fit in it well.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile

Quote:
Brew:

We can get you good deal on a much better SRT8 Charger or SRT8 300. 470hp and 470lbft!
That should raise the hair on some necks around here!

2012 SRT8 Charger - 12.70 @ 111mph
Old 11-03-2011, 01:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdutybob View Post
Brew:

We can get you good deal on a much better SRT8 Charger or SRT8 300. 470hp and 470lbft!
That should raise the hair on some necks around here!

LOL. you're right, you should be able to get a good deal on them, they are like herpies at a halfway house,,,, all over!!!

Hair on my neck is just fine.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:56 PM

GXP is suprisingly roomy. My wife's '06 Charger's seems a little larger, but not much. Picked up my GXP in Washington DC and drove it back to Texas......fun trip. The suspension is performance oriented, so not quite the sofa-on-wheels ride of the Charger, but not unpleasant by any means.

Plus, the cold morning piston slap reminds me of my old SD-455
71 "In Violet" 340 Duster
Old 12-05-2011, 08:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Really piston slap?
Bob thats about the only place I have hair besides the sides and back of my head.

Looking at 4x4's again and pulling away from the car thing. Who knows maybe Santa will help?
Old 12-05-2011, 10:36 AM

Yes, the LS3 has piston slap. Not quite as pronounced as the SD455, but it's there.
71 "In Violet" 340 Duster
Old 01-09-2012, 05:41 PM

The GXP is an excellent road car. I'm 6'4" and 230 pounds and can travel 400 to 500 miles very comfortably. My wife uses it as a daily driver and has put close to 70K miles on it. Only upgrade was to a set of Michilen PS2s. What a difference in traction, even over the "summer only" tires that came on it. Sixty foot times were also alot better after dumping the clutch.

milt
Old 05-02-2012, 05:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Brewster:
I always forget about this section of the forum and just now found your post. I have both the GT and a GXP. Just finished a trip from Atlanta to Orlando and back in the GT and got great mileage (like 26 MPG) and the car rode great. You get a lot of road noise and feel the low profile tires but the handling and steering are awesome. Like others have said, great room in all seats and the trunk is huge. I hauled four grown men around Orlando in the car and they were all nuts over it.

As for the GXP - all I can say is that the LS3 and 415 HP are just amazing. I have a cold air intake on mine and that is the only mod I've made. The induction sound of that motor sucking air is almost as thrilling as the improved exhaust note due to it breathing better. It literally sounds like I've done a cat-back exhaust upgrade. The background engine noise at cruise is a very pleasing note and the car gives you a lot of feedback that stimulates the senses. Seat of the pants acceleration feel is off the charts. I have the A6 and in manual mode it is more fun than a third pedal IMHO. Especially love the throttle blip on downshifts.

BJ