Tri-Power Tech 57-66 Tri-Power Talk

Old 03-10-2011, 02:45 AM
Senior Chief

Default Aluminium Tri-Power

Does anybody know anything about these sets? do they work good? etc.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Are you refering to the intake manifold itself or a complete set up and if the complete set up, who's There are a few out there. The Barry Grant "Six Shooter" set up is one to stay away from, from what I hear. If you are looking for a new reproduction of the Tri Power manifold there again are a few out there and some are better than others. The ones with the date code are considered to be more accurate in port features / alignment. If you are looking to purchase a new aluminum manuifold I have one with the date code, it has never been installed and I will sell it for $ 325.00. I also have an aluminum Tri Power water neck / thermostat housing that I will part with as well.

Tim john---

Tim john---

Old 03-10-2011, 09:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The "repro" aluminum intakes are actually quite nice. They have all the correct holes, bracket mounts, etc., and LOOK exactly like the originals. Ames and PY both sell them. Tim's deal is a good one.

If you're looking for the "complete unit", the ones offered by the resto houses aren't "correct' regarding the front and rear carbs, fuel lines and linkage. If you want the "correct" look, you can get their "center" carb, and new base plates and "tops" for the end carbs, the correct lines and linkage, and find a cuople more 2GCs for the "body" and build the unit from there.

As for performance, they work just like the stock ones. Being aluminum, they're MUCH easier to "port", so if mods are very effective.

Jim

Old 03-10-2011, 11:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile

Tim, you have a pm.

'65 Buick Sport Wagon Custom, 340, T350, 3:23
'66 GTO Post/468, 700R4, 3.31 (Mike's as of 9-16)
'68 Grand Prix/455, dual AFBs, T400, 2:93 posi (sold)
'72 TA tribute/461, T400, 3.08, (Russ's as of 9-16)
'97 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Turbo, Konis, 5 speed
'09 Torrent GXP, nav, Sun & Sound pkg., Bilsteins
Old 03-10-2011, 02:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Les, PM answered, please check your inbox when you have a free moment.

Tim john---.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Barry Grant units are still available?

Old 03-10-2011, 03:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkillphil View Post
The Barry Grant units are still available?
I believe Barry Grant went out of business.

There really is no difference between the stock iron and the after market alum. intakes. Performance is pretty much the same. The alum. are much lighter and won't kill your back lifting it on and off the engine.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:36 PM
Senior Chief

I'm actually looking at the complete set up from PY. I am not concerned at all with originality, I allready have an original 66 manifold, but want the hassle free idea of the complete set up top to bottom. My question is only about performance, do they work as well as the originals.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Cool 1966 PONTIAC GTO FULL SIZE COMPLETE TRI-POWER SET UP

franky 455
Did you ever try this set-up?
If so, how did it work?
I'm thinking about adding tri-power to my 66 project, but I want something I can just bolt on without spending a lot of money.
If anyone is interested in a trade, I still have my 1960 tri-power set-up.
The numbers list it as a 1960 super duty, but it looks identical to a regular tri-power manifold.

I looked at the new ones offered by both PY & the Parts Place.
I know they differ from originals, but at this time I don't think I can afford a restored, bolt on original set-up.
My 66 Bonneville won't be original with the 428 anyway, so I wanted to see about adding tri-power to it.

I grew up driving my older brothers 65 GTO tri-powered convertible when I was a senior in high school (yes, I am that old ) and still remember the sound it made, plus the acceleration.
Have I driven faster cars, probably, but that car will always stick in my mind.
Nothing else even comes close.
Thanks, Ron

Semper Fi
Old 10-15-2011, 08:46 PM
Boost Engineer

It took three attempts for the Barry Grant guys to get a bolt on 6-shooter intake for a Pontiac. They had lots of issues initially.

I eventually got an intake that looked pretty good. I sent it to Dave (Mr P-body's business partner) to have it ported. It came back really nice once the U.S. Post Office found it, it was lost for a while. I had over $600.00 in the intake BEFORE it was ported ($450.00+) and I find out the intake was return shipped with an insurance value of $100.00 on it. ???????????

Fortunately it finally showed up.

If you have Mr P-Body and Dave port either of the aluminum Tri-power intakes, add the cost of proper insurance to the check you send them so that your intake will be properly insured IF it gets lost during the return shipment.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.