Tri-Power Tech 57-66 Tri-Power Talk

Old 07-24-2010, 10:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Tri-power & power brakes

Hi, just switched to power disk brakes from manual disk, one problem im having is what tool you guys are using to adjust your idle screws with this set up...........i have one of those flexable carb adjusting tools, i can get the idle screw on the pass side, but no way can i get that on the drivers side with that fitting for the power brakes booser in the way. I can get a super slim screw driver on it, but that is really hard to do...........The fitting i have on there now is from Mike Wasson, in fact all the carbs were redone by mike............so far im having major issues as far as idleing is concerned, it jumps anywhere from 500 rpm to 2000 by itself, havent been able to get hold of Mike, so i thought i would ask here .

Rich

Old 07-25-2010, 12:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Remove the offending fitting; install a plug.

Adjust the idle mixture and idle speed to perfection.

Remove the plug, re-install the fitting and vacuum hose.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The idle screws on the tripower are best adjusted with an open-end wrench. The factory knew the clearance would be tight, which is why the factory used the extra long hex headed screws instead of the round-headed ones.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
Remove the offending fitting; install a plug.

Adjust the idle mixture and idle speed to perfection.

Remove the plug, re-install the fitting and vacuum hose.
That was my plan, pita removing all fuel lines to do this just to get the front carb off...................ended up buying a thin 1/4 open end wrench, still a really tight fit, but good enough.................thanks CarbKing.

Rich

Old 07-26-2010, 03:04 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Yeah, an open-end wrench works, but is still a pain. So... when setting up the '61 SD aluminum Tri-Power on the engine for my GMC, I built this remote-cable deal. Knobs are at the top of the front carb's float bowl and work great. Cable setups used to be available aftermarket, but the knobs were usually on the top-front of the center carb- not easy to get at with decent-sized air cleaners in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	idle_screw0001.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	213165   Click image for larger version

Name:	air_cleaners0003.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	213166