Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 04-28-2013, 12:51 PM
Senior Chief

Default Installing convertible well liner?

I need to install a new well liner, which I've bought from Acme Tops, looks good but no instructions. I'm not replacing the top itself so I want to find out how difficult it is to install the liner with the top already on. The existing liner is an odd fitting "home-made" piece from 30 years ago so I can't use it as a template and the new liner does not have any holes or marking for where or how it's supposed to attach to the body. Anyone installed one recently or know of an instruction guide? Thanks, Jim.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

To put that well in the right way you have to unbolt all of the trim sticks that hold both the top and the rear plastic window from the car body all the way around the opening. Then your going to need to remove all the tacks or staples from the top and the plastic. The ones that hold the material to the trim sticks. Put the well cloth in-position and re-tack; reassemble.

Realistically it is a job for a trim shop.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:52 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Talking

around the back of the rear window is if I remember right is a bolted in 3 piece section that holds the back of the top to the body. you will have to unbolt that from the car and then remove the staples from the tack strip and put the liner in between the top and the tack strip. I dont think that it will be a hard job because the staples can be aligned with the old staple holes so the top will be streached right. if you mark the center and work from the center out it shouldnt be that hard. what was hard was aligning the top center and the liner with no reference points cause of new top. the staples i used was wood staples and a hand staple gun. years ago me and my wife put a new top on my 66 GTO by our selves and all I had done was the front roll sewed by a upholstery shop. I dont remember what length staples were but probably somewhere around 3/8 inch you will be laying over the trunk and in the trunk and over the back seat but as the camel told the donkey while walking between water holes was patience jack*** patience