Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 06-16-2013, 08:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question Sticky console lid - What to do?

A console I've got has a perfect colored pad on it, but it's sticky and after cleaning it thoroughly with simple green and dawn dish detergent it's still tacky to the touch.

What will fix this without ruining the finish or the part?

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 06-17-2013, 10:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Isnt that the most annoying feeling?

I've tried many of the cleaners and none worked, or if they did not for long.

I read a while ago its a petroleum based chemcial leeching out due to heat and chemcial breakdown.

I have read where other people more often have said painting with SEM or equiv vinyl dye fixes the problem the best with less costs....(if your color is matched)

Goof Off, Vinegar, Acetone, Rubbing Alochol, Purple Stuff and elbow grease works for some on steering wheels and/or vinyl coated parts I have read, on some cars.

Then there are just as many saying these products didnt work for them.

Probably a hit or miss depending on the part and state of breakdown.

I had a problem recently with a steering wheel...but also have had a tacky console lid, and found a company online that restores original finish for sports car "plastic parts" which seem to have their fair share of this problem. Their "fix" seems to be a hard clear coating. Their niche is in the modern luxury / sport car world and have excellent reviews....maybe they can help with your vinyl issue?

My lid was dyed and swapping out wheel for a wood custom sport job.

http://stickynomore.com/

Old 06-18-2013, 03:39 AM
Suspended

Is this stuff we can put on or do you have to send in your parts?? I don't want to disassamble my interior just to send it out just to have to put it back in. Or is this stuff they send to you & you spray it on yourself??

Old 06-18-2013, 04:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've used lacquer thinner on sticky steering wheels, then Mcguires #40 vinyl conditioner and that combo has been perfect. You might have to use lacquer thinner 2 or 3 times before the Mcguires.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks guys, will try the lacquer thinner.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As far as I know There is no "cure" for this issue. The petrol is leeching out of the vinyl parts as they begin to degrade and decompose, it will keep on doing that no matter what you do.

It is the irreversible chemical process of degradation.

This first came to my attention about 20 or 25 years ago, a friend of mine had a beautiful 1970 Olds W30 442. The black, hard rubber "sport" steering wheel in his car kept doing that. It was worse if he parked the car outside on a sunny day with all 4 windows rolled up.

Last edited by Peter Serio; 06-18-2013 at 11:19 PM. Reason: fixed a spelling error
Old 06-19-2013, 02:50 AM
Suspended

If your console lid has any paint on it at all the laquer thinner will take it off & or just smear it around. Be prepared to have to repaint it if it has any on it.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Turns out the can of 3M Adhesive remover I had in the garage did the trick - (of course it's mostly xylene).

There was a little color on the towel when I wiped it off, took a couple of applications & wipes. Came out nice, I'm happy with it - thanks guys!

Old 06-20-2013, 05:06 PM
Suspended

If it's been painted just wait until it get hot & the paint becomes soft again it will get stickey again. I don't know why but it must be the type of material it's made of but my pad on my console has been painted & I have trid everything to get it to stop feeling sticky, but nothing seem to work on the pad. It just stays stickey & It looks good but it stays stickey . Just using laquer thinner on it just seems to take the paint off & makes it streak. Even finger prints show up when it wamr , but when it cool out it looks & feel correct. I've even set it out in the sun very hot day to seal the paint from the heat but it still stays stickey when it's warm.