1982-92 TA & FB TECH 1993-2002 TA & FB Tech is now part of the new Late Model Section of the PY Forums. Click this link to check it out.

Old 02-06-2007, 10:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think I remember a story about an American Indian racer that drove Pontiacs!! It was one of the old shows with Bud something doing the narration of a Darlington race in like 71-72 era, the car was a 66' Catalina. He crashed out if I recall. In 1986 I spent the weekend in the pits at Pocono, was getting all the Pontiac drivers pics & autographs, I almost was thrown out 3-4 times for going over the wall during practice to the cars for autographs. I gave the hatman his nickname at that race in June 86', I didn't know his name and keep calling him the hatman til he turned and I waved him over, he came and we talked for like 10 minutes, told him thats how I noticed him in Vic Lane changing drivers hats for photo opps. Dave K.

Old 02-08-2007, 02:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Indian driver was Roy Tyner. Drove up until 1970 when he was kicked out of NASCAR for assaulting a guy with a wrench in the pits. Drove a few Pontiacs. I have (what's left of ) his 69-70 GP a red/white/blue Pepsi sponsered car. See cover of August 1969 Stock Car Racing magazine.

A couple months back a guy was selling some old model kits modified to look like NASCAR cars. One was the 69 GP, which I was fortunate enough to get.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:49 PM

Default Lemans NASCAR history

I've been interested in the NASCAR history of the G Body Lemans for several years. Its racing success had a lot to do with why I bought my 80 model, soon to be upgraded with an 82 nose.

Allison's Lemans was so successful that NASCAR began steadily shortening its spoiler until it became uncompetative. Its sloped rear glass made it much more stable than the other G Bodies. It got more downforce and was more stable at high speeds. NASCAR's excuse was that they didn't want everone running Lemans'. Prior to 81 most teams ran '77 442s. Although the Regal was the most common 81, several teams ran GPs and a few tried Cutlasses and Monte Carlos. Even a few Malibus showed up on the short tracks.

Thanks for posting the photo of Cale's 83 Daytona 500 winner. I've been looking for one for a long time. I'd love to get a color shot.

They do make resin kits of these cars. I have a 1/24 version. Starter made one of Cale's 83 in 1/43 scale.

I've been debating whether to build my car with a NASCAR theme or make it my impression of what a GTO might have been in that era, if GM had the good sence to build one.

In my opinion the G-Body era was NASCAR's golden era. They still used some stock body panels then. When I was at Dover Sterling Marlin wrecked his #44 underalls car in practice and got a replacement trunk lid from a local junk yard.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:59 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcaminobill
In my opinion the G-Body era was NASCAR's golden era. They still used some stock body panels then. When I was at Dover Sterling Marlin wrecked his #44 underalls car in practice and got a replacement trunk lid from a local junk yard.
I remember back in 1983 and Kyle Petty drove the 7 eleven Pontiac that in a practice session he had some rear end damage and they didn't have a spare trunk so they took one off of a rental car grand prix. Too Funny. I remember seeing the photo in the old "Grand National Scene" paper, I am sure I still have it somewhere.

Here is a pic of Tim Richmonds Raymond Beadle owned Pontiac Lemans

1974 455 Trans Am
1978 400 Trans Am
Old 06-04-2007, 07:06 AM

Mark,

That looks like a sharp car. Unfortunately, it didn'n t come out very clear on the post. Would you send me a copy of it?

Bill
ggwz@aol.com

Old 06-06-2007, 05:35 PM
Senior Chief

Unhappy

Quote:
Mark,

That looks like a sharp car. Unfortunately, it didn'n t come out very clear on the post. Would you send me a copy of it?

Bill
ggwz@aol.com
Bill, That is a picture I found on the internet....it looked like that on the other site as well. If I ever go though my old NASCAR stuff I have tons of posters, postcards and stuff from about 1981 until about 1994 or so.....after that I lost alot of my fire for NASCAR.

1974 455 Trans Am
1978 400 Trans Am
Old 06-06-2007, 08:07 PM
Senior Chief

A good place to get some color photos is right out of the NASCAR Racing Programs.
They are pretty easy to find on ebay.
Either type in NASCAR Program, or Daytona Program.
I have a fairly large collection of them, trying for every year.
Old Circle Track magazines are a good source too.

Hope this helps,

George

Old 06-07-2007, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarbirdTA
A good place to get some color photos is right out of the NASCAR Racing Programs.
They are pretty easy to find on ebay.
Either type in NASCAR Program, or Daytona Program.
I have a fairly large collection of them, trying for every year.
Old Circle Track magazines are a good source too.

Hope this helps,

George
That's a good point, I have some of the Yearbooks and programs from that era. I got most of them from ebay.

Last edited by elcaminobill; 06-30-2007 at 10:57 PM.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:00 PM

Hey elcaminobill,

Drifted over here from Maliburacing. I finally got an 81 Grand Lemans 4 door parts car for my 83 longroof. Like this post says, that nose is just too cool looking and will be going on my wagon. I'm going to have to find a good hood as this one is rusted but it is going to look waaaaaaay better with that frontend.
A Pontiac is just SUPPOSED to have a split grille.

bukweet

Old 06-30-2007, 10:56 PM

Too bad you don't live closer, I have a spare hood.

Somebody on MR was having Lemans cowl induction hoods made of fiberglass. I don't know what ever became of that.

Old 07-01-2007, 08:45 AM

jkimmeljr had that fiberglass post. I kept it in storage (Thanks for the reminder). I'll check for an update on that later.
Is that your poncho in your avatar? That's a "just right" ride.

bukweet

Old 07-02-2007, 08:38 AM

bukweet,

Thanks for the nice comments on the Lemans. Yes that is my car. Since I finally switched to dsl from aol dial up its much easier to post the avatar and attach pics.

I have to agee with your earilier comments about Pontiacs nedding to have a split grill. Its just tradition.

I like the fact that each GM division used to have it own distint personalities. The Ponchos seemed to have nicer dashes too.

Bill

Old 07-16-2007, 08:18 AM

I found DVDs of the 82 & 83 Daytona 500s. They should show some good footage of the Allison and Yarborough Lemans'. I'll bet sure to post a review of them when they arrive.

Anyone know an easy way to get still photos from a video?

Old 07-16-2007, 09:50 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
I found DVDs of the 82 & 83 Daytona 500s. They should show some good footage of the Allison and Yarborough Lemans'. I'll bet sure to post a review of them when they arrive.
I'll be very interested to find out how good those DVDs are.
Allison drove the Diegard Buick Regal in the '82 500. His back bumber fell off (while leading) during the race, and caused a bunch of cars behind him to crash.
I don't think the 28 car was a Lemans in the '82 500. I think Benny Parsons was the driver, but they only ran the Lemans at certain tracks.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Injun Tom
I'll be very interested to find out how good those DVDs are.
Allison drove the Diegard Buick Regal in the '82 500. His back bumber fell off (while leading) during the race, and caused a bunch of cars behind him to crash.
I don't think the 28 car was a Lemans in the '82 500. I think Benny Parsons was the driver, but they only ran the Lemans at certain tracks.

Maybe I got my history confused. I thought Allison drove the Tuflon #28 in 82 and Yarborough won in 83 with his backup car, an 82 Lemans.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:43 AM

Tom,

You were 100% right. I did some research and found that I had an oldtimers moment.
The Tuflon car of Allison was raced in Daytona in 81 were he dominated but finished 2nd. He did win in 82 in a Buick.

Here are some Lemans NASCAR PICS you may enjoy.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	81TuflonLemans2.jpeg
Views:	94
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	98402   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-20.jpeg
Views:	128
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	98403  

Old 07-18-2007, 08:51 AM

Here are some more NASCAR Lemans.

Tim Richmond at Daytona, not sure of year.

Allison or Waltrip at Riverside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	timrich_oldmil red.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	98406   Click image for larger version

Name:	bookumi82 (2).jpg
Views:	519
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	98407  

Old 07-18-2007, 03:02 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Here are some more NASCAR Lemans.

Tim Richmond at Daytona, not sure of year.

Allison or Waltrip at Riverside.
WOW! That Gatorade #88 Lemans blows me away. I've never seen that paint scheme on a Lemans body. Never even knew that team used a Lemans.
That photo is either from 1981, or 1982. Those were the only two seasons Mountain Dew was on the Junior Johnson car.
If it's '82, then Allison was likely the driver. Not sure who drove the Gatorade car in 1981. Ricky Rudd could have been driving, as I think he was with Diegard for a short time. That photo could be from the very first race with the 1981 body style cars. It was at Riverside in late 1980. Neil Bonnett won that race in the Wood Brother's Thunderbird.

Old 07-20-2007, 02:09 PM

Tom,

You got my curiousity up and I had to do some research. The 82 yearbook shows that as the Riverside car for the season ending event. Alliison drove it. He and Waltrip were battleing for the cup title. The article states that both teams brought what they felt were their best cars.

Richmond won the race, Waltrip won the championship.

Notice in the photo how much smaller the rear spoiler is on the Lemans vs the Regal?

The yearbook shows lots of pics of Lemans'. A few Gatorade, lots of the #28 Ranier/Stacy car driven by Benny Parsons and Buddy Baker.

Richmond must have run the Old Mil car in later a year. The ones shown in the yearbook are all Stacy.

I found a vendor that lists a Resin Kit of 81 Lemans and have emailed for info.

Bill

Old 07-21-2007, 07:31 PM

Got my 83 Daytona 500 DVD today.

The Bad news: Its grainy, looks like a VHS recording copied to DVD.

The good new: Lots ot Lemans
Yarborough #28
Richmond #27
both with in car cameras
There are a few others but I could not ID them yet. I'm only about 70 laps onto the race. The picture quality does not help but I had forgotten how poor the NASCAR telecasts were back them. They mostly focus on the leader. They showed the drivers but not the cars in the pre race line-up.