Old 07-07-2009, 12:11 PM

Default Wiper Issue, `70 GTO

When I move the switch up to either the low or high position the wipers arms barely move; they'll rock back-and-forth a half-inch or so but that's it. When I push and hold the switch/button in however, activating the washer pump, the wipers then exhibit their full range-of-motion (in both the low and high speed positions). Releasing the switch results in a return to the rocking motion.

Could this be a simple as the ground for the pump (at the dash switch) is good while the one for the arms-only is not (do they have separate grounds)? I won't be near the car until this evening so I can't try/test anything until then, but would sure appreciate any input in order to perhaps have a good starting point when I get home.

Thanks!

Norm

Old 07-08-2009, 04:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Do some testing and see if we can figure out what's gone wrong.

KOEO-key on engine off-With wiper switch off inside. Use a jumper wire and ground the low and high speed wires (one at a time) at the wiper motor and see what happens.
The two speeds will either work or they wont. This test will rule out any problems between wiper motor and wiper switch.

Park function happens automatically when switch grounds are cut off. From what you're describing that's all your wiper motor wants to do. Lo and HI tripping park from inside and the wiper motor not running is a puzzel that the underhood test will hopefully clear up. Bad ground at the wiper motor and the wipers shouldn't park.

Let us know what you find out.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:20 PM

I get the same result under the hood as I get from activating the switch. I don't think it's that the wipers won't exit the park mode; just that they don't get their full range of motion - they actually move back and forth about two inches, not the half-inch I noted earlier - when the switch is activated. When watching the rotating arm (well, it's supposed to rotate anyway) that extends from the engine compartment into the cowl area, it simply moves between (approximately) the eight-o'clock and ten o'clock positions until the washer button is depressed, at which time the pump motor begins clicking and the arm makes a complete full circle. Release the washer button; the pump stops clicking and the arm stops very briefly at eight-o'clock, then begins its 8-10 rocking again. Again though, when the switch is activated and the washer button is depressed the arms exhibit full movement.

I should mention, I took this motor from a 65K miles Lemans parts car, in which it worked just fine. Unfortunately, the switch from the Lemans is Kaput so I can't try it.