Missing Pontiacs, Parts or Trailers Include lost or stolen items here

Old 12-18-2006, 10:33 PM

I don,t know if it is,or isn't.If I was planning on bidding on this car.A plane ticket is nothing!
Buyer Beware.

Ps My 70 vert had the door jam vents.It is a #s car.

Old 12-18-2006, 10:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I negotiated with who I believed to be the second owner of this car back in 2001, same car just different price and it for the most part it exactly the same, it just needed some freshening up. the car may have sold a few times since, but everything was legit back then, and it probably is now too. of course a plane ticket in the big scheme of things is nothing

Last edited by 70ram4; 12-18-2006 at 11:03 PM.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question

This issue of 70 GTO (and LeMans) convertibles having the Door jamb vents or not got me thinking about finding out. I posted a new thread with a poll on the 70-72 GTO section. If you have one vote!

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
Old 12-19-2006, 11:45 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpj23
OK I'm just a casual observer, but when the pictures show the firewall data plate obviously bent - as if someone pried it off another car - I would run away. What other explanation could there be for a deformed data plate??

Check out this eBay listing and tell me what YOU think....
Item number: 220061979888
Looks like the guys who watch the "Fair and Balanced News" channel have gotten offended by my suggestion that things may be out of order on this car... (funny how if they have to tell you they're fair & balanced they're usually not isn't it?)

Anyway, re-read the original post please. I asked you what you think and said that for me, I would not trust that car due to the - in my opinion - questionable data tag. Call off the slander lawyers if you will...

Excellent point made about the cost of a plane ticket. For this size of investment I'd also probably hire an appraiser who is an expert on this particular model car.

Mark

Old 12-19-2006, 06:24 PM
Senior Chief

i fear the day i'd ever have to sell my beater GP...with one screw and one rivet holding the data tag on the cowl...i'd hate to hear all the crap i'd go through with it, even though i'm 100% certain it's never been of the car. this kind of stuff is ridiculous. i've seen warped door panels, hoods, and roofs on cars at the hands of inexperienced people with sand blasters...the date tag being warped isn't too hard to believe seeing as it's as thin as it is. and i think it would show more damage around the edges of the plate and around the rivet holes...ever pried an emblem off a car with a screwdriver? i'm not a judge expert by any means, but it seems kinda ridiculous to cast doubt on the car just from the condition of the date tag.

Old 12-19-2006, 08:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoytheride7072
Oh yeah, you can never be too careful. A Pennsylvania State Trooper, of all people, was restoring a 1970 LS5 Chevelle for his friend, the second owner. Well, they sent it to an acid dipper without removing the data and VIN plates, and the dipper sent the car back without them because they allegedly 'melted' in the process. I've never had anything dipped, and I question the integrity of the Data plate, but I don't think it's possible to melt both. And why wasn't any of the other thinner metal parts of the body melted? I think the dude got scammed.
Where we have car bodies dipped (rarely, BTW) the car first gets "baked" to about 800 degrees, so they tell us. This burns off all filler, undercoating, paint etc. It then gets submerged into the chemical solution (acid) that eats away at the rust.
By the time our first car was finished with the process, there was not even any factory lead left in the joints. We have also had bodies only baked and not dipped. Those, too, come back with no lead.
Needless to say, the company warns customers that anything not steel must be removed, or it ain't coming back.
So, yes, it does happen.

Old 12-19-2006, 08:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Spotts Built 484" IA2, Highports, EFI Northwind
Terminator X sequential EFI fabrication and suspension by
https://www.funkhouserracecars.com/
Old 12-19-2006, 10:09 PM
Senior Chief

Talking

"Tom, that is the worst idea i've ever heard"

Old 12-19-2006, 10:54 PM

I think what Mark was saying was.The cowl tag was damaged and why would it come with door vents.2 good questions.
If the frame #s and #s behind the seat didn,t match.Then what?
I'm talking about any rare musle car.
You buy a 71 judge conv.The frame #s say it's a Lemans.And the other#s don't match.
What would you do??Sell and get your money back.
Or say it's a Fake and lose your shirt?

Old 12-19-2006, 11:28 PM

Wheres the numbers behind the seat, is this 70 only?

Old 12-21-2006, 06:22 PM

A guy showed me the frame #S and told me about the #s behind the seat,but I forgot where they are.If he was taking part #s then they would be the same?I have to take my back seat out to run a wire and I'll look for it then.We both had 70s at the time.

Old 12-22-2006, 12:39 AM

Sorry Goatnutz
The only #s are on the frame
The #s behind the seat are part #s
I got the wrong info

Old 12-22-2006, 08:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The seller knocked 20K off of the "Buy it Now". It's only $279,995. Another $495 lower and I would snatch it up.

Old 12-22-2006, 05:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Aluminum will readily dissolve in Sodium Hyrdoxide. If the car was Caustic dipped, yes, the tag could have dissolved.

Old 12-22-2006, 07:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

6 figures.............I would at least like to see the exhaust tips hung near where they are suppose to be. also, I know its a lot of labor but ya really should send the dash bezel out for rechrome,....and while yer in there put the correct radio back in it. there, got that out of my system

Old 12-22-2006, 10:35 PM

Default ....

i would say its the same car without a doubt. look at the fan shroud. has the same exact marks on it.

Old 12-23-2006, 11:37 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoytheride7072
Oh yeah, you can never be too careful. A Pennsylvania State Trooper, of all people, was restoring a 1970 LS5 Chevelle for his friend, the second owner. Well, they sent it to an acid dipper without removing the data and VIN plates, and the dipper sent the car back without them because they allegedly 'melted' in the process. I've never had anything dipped, and I question the integrity of the Data plate, but I don't think it's possible to melt both. And why wasn't any of the other thinner metal parts of the body melted? I think the dude got scammed.

The dipping acid eats aluminum and some other alloys but not steel, iron,copper or brass. A lot of people make the mistake of thinking the vin and data tags are steel but they are not and the acid will eat them. We has a small dipping tank at the radiator shop I used to work at and some of the older radiators had small aluminum tags affixed to them. I dunked a rad one day without thinking and the acid bath ate that tag right up. All that was left was a spot on the radiator that was foaming a lot.

When you go to have your car dipped you are (ot should be told) to remove all aluminum components from the car.

Old 12-23-2006, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70ram4
I negotiated with who I believed to be the second owner of this car back in 2001, same car just different price and it for the most part it exactly the same, it just needed some freshening up. the car may have sold a few times since, but everything was legit back then, and it probably is now too. of course a plane ticket in the big scheme of things is nothing

I respect this opinion , it comes from a knowledgeable pontiac person that has seen this car in person as opposed to the critic that lurks in the shadows that started this unsubstantiated accusationall thread

Old 01-26-2007, 12:32 PM

as far as the vents go .. I had a 72 gs vert -- no vents ,,now I know that a buick but ... it is a BOP A body .. dont think the verts required them because as we all know those thing were anything but airtight

"One ought never to turn one's back on a threatened danger and
try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger.
But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half."
- Winston Churchill