Missing Pontiacs, Parts or Trailers Include lost or stolen items here

Old 01-11-2005, 10:55 AM

LOL, Dwight!!!!! I will try your recipe for crow

Old 01-11-2005, 11:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dwight Crawford:
Your computer probably has swamp water in it. I recommend using a hair dryer. My car is a 63 Safari with 34K original miles and all there, including the original paint, engine, interior, vin and trim tag. I don't need a salvage title. - Dwight <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Subjective term, let the courts decide it. Better go ahead and assign a salvage title to be safe.

1963 Cat SD Clone (old school) streeter
1964 GTO post coupe, tripower, 4speed (build)
1965 GTO 389 tripower, 4 speed, driver
1966 GTO dragcar
1966 GTO Ragtop
1969 Tempest ET clone street/strip
1969 GTO Judge RA lll, auto
1969 GTO limelight Conv. 4speed go and show (sold)
1970 GP SSJ
1970 GTO barn find..TLB…390 horse?….yeh, 390
1972 GTO 455 HO, 4 speed, (build)
1973 Grand Safari wagon, 700hp stoplight sleeper
525ci DCI & 609ci LM V head builds
Old 01-11-2005, 01:37 PM
Senior Chief

After I sent you that post I have reconsidered and applied for a Salvage Title. I suddenly realized that I had changed the tires, battery, belts, hoses, and the oil. Thanks for correcting the error of my ways - Dwight

Old 01-11-2005, 03:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dwight Crawford:
After I sent you that post I have reconsidered and applied for a Salvage Title. I suddenly realized that I had changed the tires, battery, belts, hoses, and the oil. Thanks for correcting the error of my ways - Dwight <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glad u have seen the lite.

1966 GTO dragcar
1966 GTO Ragtop
1970 GP SSJ
Old 01-19-2005, 10:37 PM

Did they also put the vin # behind the ac unit on the firewall ? where on the firewall of a non AC car ?

Old 02-10-2005, 04:02 PM
Suspended

A guy finds an antique racing car from the 30s. It was totalled while racing, but it's one of about 6 or 8 cars and the others are worth a fortune now. They spent a small fortune hand forming panels for it and by replacing 90% of the car. It shows up for judging at Pebble Beach etc and everybody starts crying and pitching a fit. They launch full protests and guess who wins? The guy with the antique car. It doesn't have to be registered as reconstructed since it was never tagged as a total loss by any agency.

A precedent has been set, but you will never convince everybody, especially the other car owners. There's always a work around to everything and you will never stop it. You don't have to agree.

Old 02-10-2005, 05:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Doug,
Here's another car along those lines. This original '54 Olds concept car was completely destroyed at GM in a fire where it was stored in the trailer. All that was left was the front bumper, grill & some of the chrome pieces. (it was a glass body). The remains got sold to A.L. Cord along with the original blueprints, photos & extra body panels that were made for the car. After passing thru several owners over the years, the "parts" end up being assembled by a talented auto restorer about 10 years ago. The guy was quite a craftsman as most of the parts were hand made. Long story short, after completion it gets sold a few times and with each new owner the real story about what happened to the orginal concept car gets lost & by some miricale this becomes the "original" car again. The car is pretty well known around the Phoenix area where it "rose from the ashes", most restorers in that area know the story about it too.
It's too bad the auctioneers didn't tell the poor guy that paid $3 Mil+ for it about it's rebirth!
Link to car: http://www.barrett-jackson.com/aucti....asp?id=178112

Steve

Old 02-10-2005, 06:19 PM
Suspended

Yeah, that's a shame. I didn't know that story behind that car. When you're at that level and are ignorant of the history, you pay a professional to protect you.

In my story, the car was real and everybody at the top knows the car is a reconstruct, but the judging body allows his car even today just like the others. They make the rules and they play by them.

You would think people would know better but they obviously don't if they pay 3M for one. I'm not taking a side, just pointing out that this has been ruled. Yes it's wrong in some cases, but not wrong enough in others to be prevented.

Old 02-16-2005, 08:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Doug, as more and more of the recon cars are brought back to life there will be lawsuits and probably a change in the laws of the states concerning old cars. Especially so, as the prices go up and up as i forsee.

1966 GTO dragcar
1966 GTO Ragtop
1970 GP SSJ
Old 02-16-2005, 09:05 PM
Suspended

I totally agree.

Old 07-08-2005, 07:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Latest Hemmings Muscle Machines a guy restoring a Mustang cut the date code off his old battery tray and welded it onto a NOS part.

Does that make it original again? It's one thing to use the correct period parts, but seems like fraud to be passing it off as the actual original to the car.

Old 07-21-2005, 02:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had to bring this old post back to life. Here is a tag swapping "kit" for sale on ebay. I can't see where anyone would think this is legit deal

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7988059564

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 07-22-2005, 11:12 AM
Senior Chief

someone should buy it and crush it.

Old 07-25-2005, 03:37 AM

I've just read this entire thread which commenced LONG before I joined the Forum! It is very interesting to hear the differing views - I guess those in support of "retagging" would (gererally) be prepared to do that to their own cars. I hope, not to make financial gain.

I just don't understand why somebody has to misrepresent a car UNLESS it is with the intention of deceiving somebody else into parting with more money than the car's worth?

If an enthusiast wishes to build another car out of bits & pieces, why not do it with the GTO parts, but leave the original tags on the bodyshell? There is absolutely NO REASON for swapping tags unless the "swapper" wishes to commit fraud.

I have posted on this subject before and have been accused of not reading the entire thread and therefore not "understanding" the views expressed. I trust this post clarifies my position (as if it wasn't clear enough already!)

Pod.

Old 07-27-2005, 03:48 PM

I have a set of vin and body tags of a 69 GTO that I cut up for parts [it was a total] they will go into the grave with me.
that is the only thing they are good for

1965 GTO 4-speed 2-4s
1969 GTO 4-speed

Old 07-31-2005, 12:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Towell
I've just read this entire thread which commenced LONG before I joined the Forum! It is very interesting to hear the differing views - I guess those in support of "retagging" would (gererally) be prepared to do that to their own cars. I hope, not to make financial gain.

I just don't understand why somebody has to misrepresent a car UNLESS it is with the intention of deceiving somebody else into parting with more money than the car's worth?

If an enthusiast wishes to build another car out of bits & pieces, why not do it with the GTO parts, but leave the original tags on the bodyshell? There is absolutely NO REASON for swapping tags unless the "swapper" wishes to commit fraud.

I have posted on this subject before and have been accused of not reading the entire thread and therefore not "understanding" the views expressed. I trust this post clarifies my position (as if it wasn't clear enough already!)

Pod.
Paul - Although I agree that some do swaps exclusively for retail value, I also feel that some don't, including myself. If you haven't, I would encourage you to read the post on this link from the Body section...a lot of good points...

http://216.178.81.108/forums/showthr...highlight=Swap

Old 08-03-2005, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by md1twal3
Paul - Although I agree that some do swaps exclusively for retail value, I also feel that some don't, including myself. If you haven't, I would encourage you to read the post on this link from the Body section...a lot of good points...

http://216.178.81.108/forums/showthr...highlight=Swap
Hi,

Well, I've read the first four pages (out of a total of eleven) and am starting to lose the will to live! It is now clear to me that "East is East and West is West and never the twain should meet". There are (at least) two different schools of thought.

I am happy to report that I remain firmly convinced that to misrepresent a car's true identity by swapping VINs & dataplates is totally wrong, both morally AND legally.

As I said before, I have NO PROBLEM with someone fitting GTO options onto a LeMans in order to make it a "better" car. However, leave its identity as a LeMans. The only reason not to do so, is if that individual wishes to deceive himself & others too. And that comes down to ONE thing. MONEY! Either to persuade others that his car is more valuable than it really is or to sell it to someone for more than it is worth.

As one of the posters on this forum asked earlier - how many people have trashed a perfectly good GTO in order to "restore" a rusty LeMans?

I rest my case.

Old 08-10-2005, 01:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

HarryGTO,

Why did you keep those tags then, and not just send them to the scrap metal yard with the rest of the "worthless parts" of the car?

Old 08-11-2005, 09:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Gearbanger, Im in the same situation with harryGTO. years ago (15) I was going to restore a 70 Judge. it was very rusty and I bought a frame and shell of a 70 GTO to use as parts. I picked the shell up in the rain and when I got it home I found out the frame had been ripped in half and the shell was full of bondo.

Long story short the judge and the shell were crush bait. For some unknown reason I kept the vin/plate/title from the shell but scrapped the ones from the judge? the shell was a 455 car and I still have em along with the title. I will never do anything with them but sometimes I look at them and think how much I spent on nothing.

Old 08-12-2005, 02:45 PM
Senior Chief

Default Sorry if this was mentioned before

I know for a fact that a number of hot rod builders (at least in the midwest) purchase paperwork, tags etc from east coast states that don't title their vehicles. This way, they can have an original vin and they don't have to wait for the state to come out give them a conditional VIN on their hot rods. With that paperwork you apply for a title, then your car is much easier to sell. Scary how easy it is.

Mike