Missing Pontiacs, Parts or Trailers Include lost or stolen items here

Old 04-27-2000, 06:20 AM
Senior Chief

After the most recent news of the theft from our fellow friend and racer, Paul Spotts. I thought it would be a good topic of discussion as to what measures some of us go to, to prevent such an act to happen again or not to happen at all. I know nothing is fullproof but we do have ways to deter such acts.

Old 04-27-2000, 07:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I heard of a trailer device that has an alarm attached to your key ring when you're traveling, staying somewhere. If the trailer is moved it sets an alarm off on a device on your key ring. Heard of the unit? If so any comments. & price? Later, http;//sites.netscape.net/pontiacdude428/homepage

Old 04-27-2000, 07:24 PM
Senior Chief

That sounds intresting. When my trailer is unattached from the tow vehical I have a unit that fits over the tongue, then you use a alan wrench and screw a bolt up into the tongue where the ball is positioned. It has a key that locks the underside so the alan fitting is unacessable. This unit is rather heavy dutie and overall a very effective peice. This is nice for when the trailer is left at the shop unattended. I very rarely leave the car on the trailer unattached to the tow vehical, but if I would it would be better than the old standard lock.

Old 04-29-2000, 04:07 AM

I have an electric fuel pump, and I have a switch rigged up inside the car that cuts/gives power to it. Every time I get out of my car, I just flip this switch (in a hidden location), and if someone does manage to start it, they'll get about 40 feet before the car dies, and then i can run out with a golf club and tee off

Old 04-29-2000, 05:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here is an interesting looking theft deterent for trailers. http://www.protecsystemone.com/

Old 04-29-2000, 09:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Scott, that's the ONE! appreciate it. Later dude

Old 04-30-2000, 04:37 PM

What about the "Lojack" system? It may not be a deterent to the actual theft, or alarm you instantly, but at least you should be able to find it?

Old 04-30-2000, 07:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

The only problem with Lojack is that it's not available in all areas, the smart ones know the areas. If they want something they will get it, all you can do is make yours harder to get than the next one.

Old 05-01-2000, 03:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's too bad GPS tracking systems are still so expensive. Hiding a GPS transmitter on your car and keeping a receiver on you would be better than Lojack as it's available everywhere. Unfortunately these systems start at about $1100 and go up from there depending on how fancy a system you want. Other, cheaper tracking systems are line-of-sight or limited range only which limits their usefulness. I haven't ever left my Formula anywhere I couldn't keep an eye on it except in secured parking garages since I got it running again. Not sure what I'm going to do when I get ready to start travelling in it other than install an alarm that pages me when it's triggered and an ignition kill switch that cuts power to the ignition box hidden under the dash.

Old 05-01-2000, 07:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This won't keep your trailer from getting stolen, but there is now a DieHard battery on the market that you control with a remote. One push of a button kills all power to the car. Then again this doesn't help if they use a flatbed to haul your pride a joy off.
Just my .02 cents

------------------
"Run wild with an Indian, not with the crowd in a Chevy"

Old 05-04-2000, 06:06 AM
Senior Chief

My shop is located 1/2 mile from my home. I have always been concered with it's security as well. I just purchased several motion detector spot lights. I have a dusk to dawn light but with the motion lights I feel a little more secure. I always felt the best method of theft prevention is to deter the idea from the start!

Old 05-04-2000, 08:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On my own property I have what is arguably the best theft-deterrent system: Two dogs that bark at anything and everything that comes near. They look fairly ferocious too and most people are scared of them, so doubt anyone would try breaking into my garage or messing with the cars next to the house since the dogs will give the alarm any time, day or night.

Old 05-05-2000, 11:41 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Great Idea for this topic! I have learned a lot. Most race cars are stolen with the tow vehicle attached. I am installing a car alarm in my trailer with a internal battery that will be charged when towing. None of the wires will be external. Hooked or not hooked - it will work. I had small locks that where easily cut from the tongue so the bull-dog coupler lock is the way to go. I also have the trailer at my house where it is chained to a tree with a motion light next to it. A friend of mine has his trailer chained to a cement footer he poured that has a recessed o ring for a heavy chain to attach. I have a hidden fuel pump switch to my dually when I travel that has kept my car safe on the road. Insurance is still the way to go. Theft is one thing - but fire is another. I did not get paid until I submitted a title - thank God I had a title. - so have a title or chassis cert - some kind of document of ownership. Save receipts! I have to dig up receipts for the tools and generator etc to get paid for those items stolen - A major pain! Make sure when you drop your trailer/car off for inspection/repairs or anywhere at a place of business - it has insurance for fire and theft. At least if you don't have insurance - you are still covered under the business's.

East Coast Pontiac engine builder - still going strong
4 month waiting list
email spotfam@verizon.net

1981 Trans Am 455 w/6X heads 4 speed 4 wheel disc (for sale)
1969 Trans Am clone 9.79 at 139 so far
1964 Banshee clone project - Opel GT platform
Old 02-21-2002, 04:24 AM

All very good ideas, but my security system is free. See, I only have the driver's seat installed, the interior carpet is brand new but no one knows it 'cause the entire floor and backseats are covered with random new parts I haven't put on yet and all sorts of tools. The exterior is even worse, 28 year old paint and a badly sagging front bumper. I have a nice CD player, but you can't see it through the scratched side windows and the speakers are in the passenger footwell covered by an old straw cowboy hat. If that didn't deter a thief, they would never get the car started - not that I have a hidden switch, just that the starter is bad and it takes a certain "touch". I could go on and on but I think what really stops 'em are the little skulls for door locks peering out. Sorry if this doesn't work for those of you with race cars but I've lived in some VERY bad parts of town and I don't even get second glances! hahaha [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Old 02-22-2002, 12:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A home security system peddler came to the door one day to pitch his sytem. As our dog barked wildly and lunged at him, I told him we already had a home security system and he was about to learn how effective it could be. He agreed and made a hasty retreat.

Seems like most thefts around here are done by locals who like crimes of opportunity. Get in quick, get out quick. Thefts from cars spike in late summer just before school starts and are usually teenagers stealing in their own neighborhood. Another source of local thefts was a house cleaning service. The ladies would clean the house and tip off their boyfriends to places that were good theft targets. Gotta be aware of who knows about your toys.

It's not unusual for cars to get stolen at car shows either. I was talking to a state trooper who had pulled me over (no front plate) and he said 3 Corvettes were stolen from the Bloomington Gold Show that weekend.

I would stamp my driver's license number on any valuable property. These are pretty universal and and P.D. can trace it back to you.

Old 02-22-2002, 08:36 PM

Years ago we would install a "kill switch" to prevent theft. The simple electronics of the 60's allowed you to rig up a contact switch, run in between from the coil to the ignition switch. Thus grounding the key when it was turned on. The car would just sit and turn over (cranking) and not fire up. I'm recalling this from memory - 35 years ago at that. So I don't remember if the connection was on the positive or negative side of the coil.
Joe

Old 02-22-2002, 09:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Negative side.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Treat Me Good, I'll Treat You Better; Treat Me Bad, I'll Treat You Worse"
Sonny Barger
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 02-23-2002, 01:14 AM

I heard of one many years ago, that takes the coil switch idea one step better. You install a low amp fuse in the switched circuit to the coil. I don't recall the amperage, but it basically allows the car to start and run for awhile, before the fuse blows. About enough time to allow the car to get on the street and die, with the thief trying to figure out why the car won't restart. I figure this should provide enough time for me bring my Akita over to meet the loser.

Old 02-23-2002, 03:55 PM
Boost Engineer

I heard from an "expert" who was arrested for the
28 time for car theft and never convicted that it
is impossible for the average enthusiast to save
his car if the "perp" has time to scope out the
vehicle. They either find your defeat devices and
disable them, by-pass the devices and install their own components to drive the car away, or
come back on another day with a car hauler and
remove the whole car. Having the car inside a
trailer makes it tougher, Having a series of time
wasting devices makes it more difficult (Police
use frames that go around a tire), and either a
couple of mean dogs or a noisy neighbor seem to
be the best. This guys WORSE FEAR was an old guy
who was an Army/Navy veteran putting a bullet
into his ass from across the street. He knew that
they were not afraid to pull the trigger and NO
court in the country would send a "distinguished"
veteran to jail for foiling a robbery. Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-05-2002, 09:32 AM

I just bought a 67 conv GTO. I am installing a biometric device our baby company is making. I will require my finger print to be checked before tripping a relay in the engine compartment to start the car. The idenification process takes less then a second. Power will come from the ACC. position as you turn the key. ITs a pretty cool system that is really used to open secure doors in building that I am adapting.