Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-27-2008, 08:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Now that's a sweet ride Davey. One hell of a burnout too. And all of it together gives new meaning to Gas Tires and Oil.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:55 PM
Senior Chief

hey folks, been gone awhile, doing life, you know how it goes...... just got laid off to half time, so, funds are at a minimum for play time, but i still have gas money for the ol' girl........

the car is running great, my new carbs are working out awesome, (still don't have any accurate mpg info yet, need to go on a long drive with someone to verify, as my speedo is off, and the only mpg information i had with my car was with someone elses speedo....)

i do notice that i am burning oil still, i have great compression, even in all holes, but it seems maybe the oil rings are not seated well yet? not sure, i may try the old pinch of borax(or whatever it is, i will find out...) in each hole, to scuff things up a bit. then, i will report on my findings.....

still haven't made it to the track, THIS year will be the year i do it, i promise! i have done some safe full throttle blasts on unoccupied roads, and this thing is nothing less than a pure beast. i am on half bald tires, (see burn out videos...), i will use my drag radials for the track, so that won't be an issue. but, on the street, she's a handful with street tires. fun nonetheless, and a whole lot of that!

the only issue i have encountered lately, is some hard starting, and a surging high idle at warm up. like a real thumper cam, vrrroooom, vrooooom, vroooom, vrooom, going from 800rpm to 1800rpm kind of surge. if i give it some gas, it will sputter like it's not firing on all cylinders, stay at a higher rpm, and eventually begin to hit on all of them, you can hear them kick in one at at time. after it warms up, runs like a champ, shakin' and bakin' at a sub 700rpm idle, love it!.....

i checked the plugs, a little fouled up, (need to go one step hotter for the street, to much low rpm driving in town...) so i cleaned and gapped them, checked the coil voltage, it seemed ok, no changes have been made to fuel settings on the carbs, so i am not really sure what is going on.

one thing that i never noticed, which is hard to believe, on the electric choke, there is a hole at the bottom of the casing, and i had a vacuum leak there. i do not remember it leaking there before, so i plugged it, and then i started to have problems. so, i may try unplugging that on the next fire up, and see if it changes anything. (the car is at my dads, and his at my house, as i am replacing the heater core and fixing a transmission leak in the '69 ram air III my uncle and i sold him....).

ok, thanks for all the help over time here folks, i will update as soon as i have some more info,

take care.......

davey

ps, a quick pic of the car out, and a self portrait of me and the ride, and the heart of it all.........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	goat in the fall.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	228.6 KB
ID:	166683   Click image for larger version

Name:	me and the goat.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	253.9 KB
ID:	166684   Click image for larger version

Name:	gto engine.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	251.4 KB
ID:	166685  

Old 04-26-2009, 07:01 PM

Great to see you posting a little update Davey!

A little oil useage is to be expected so don't sweat it.

I see the current state of the economy has hit you too, my hours at work were recently cut as well.

Have fun with your bad hot rod, beating the heck out of my GTO always makes me feel better about life.

Bart

Old 04-26-2009, 07:45 PM
Senior Chief

thanks bart! yeah, the economy thing is hard, but hey, at least i have half a job, i know many others who cannot say the same..........

so, this car is pretty much in driving condition for the summer, i have a new steering box to install, a quicker ratio one, as mine is tired on many levels, a LOT of slop in it, so i just figured go with a refreshed one. after that, i am still in the market for new wheels and tires, man, i cannot decide where to go on this one, suggestions welcome again. i have a thread for it somewhere, but figured maybe new eyes might have some suggestions too...

the money thing puts my current project on hold, i am building a 421 superduty motor for my 1963 catalina sedan, my dads original car i bought back, thread here: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=467917

i haven't started a thread on it in the big car section yet, because i am not ready to do much. i did manage to find a 1963 virgin SR block, never run, and a pair of ready to race 980 heads from larry kaufman. these heads were originally owned and raced by arnie beswick. i also already have a 859 manifold with two beautiful replica afb's done by ed giolma, and the proper valve covers.

so, i have the main ingredients, just need to scrounge up small parts, and figure out a rotating assembly. maybe i will start a thread, for suggestions........

anyway, more later!!!!

davey

Old 04-26-2009, 09:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Damn Dave, Just a beautiful car man. Such a clean and uncluttered engine compartment. I still need to find out where you got the beltguard and maybe some help with a part number.

Are you gonna go make us search for those burnout pics? I need a clutch before I can post burnouts.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:07 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:

"a pair of ready to race 980 heads from larry kaufman. these heads were originally owned and raced by arnie beswick."

So you were the guy who bought Larry's Heads. Nice Blown GTO.
The 1963 catalina sedan should be cool too.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:22 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360Rocket View Post
Damn Dave, Just a beautiful car man. Such a clean and uncluttered engine compartment. I still need to find out where you got the beltguard and maybe some help with a part number.

Are you gonna go make us search for those burnout pics? I need a clutch before I can post burnouts.
here is a link to the vids..... http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...&postcount=119

the belt guard was made by a guy in australia, off of ebay. i will see if i can locate his info......

thanks for the compliments! always liked your rides too......

davey

Old 04-27-2009, 12:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Davey-

Glad to see you're still around.

Car looks great.....how's Storm doing?

John

Old 04-27-2009, 11:47 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponjohn View Post
Davey-

Glad to see you're still around.

Car looks great.....how's Storm doing?

John

thanks john! storm is doing great! she has a one woman show running in portland right now, to great reviews, and a sold out house every night. we don;t get to see each other right now, 8 shows a week, 6 nights a week, (i am not performing in it.....schedule with work was a no way....).

so, all is good, still need to take those pics with her and the car.....

see ya around,

davey

Old 09-19-2009, 10:41 PM
Senior Chief

Default mileage........

so, i had a chance to document the actual mpg of the goat since i have done the new carbs and my vacuum advance setup.....

survey says!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11.5 mpg. ouch! but, all things considered, for a 650 horsepower street driven car, that USED to get 9 mpg, i am happy. that is a 21% increase in mileage, so all in all, i would say my 'carb building and tuning with vacuum advance on a blower car' was a mission success!

been driving the snot out of it this summer, the rear tires tell me so, but have still not gotten it to the track. maybe next weekend if all goes well. i am going to detune it first......

right now i am at 3% underdriven, about 10 lbs boost at 6000rpm, (i think, last dyno session, but i don't usually get that far on the street....) but i just got a 34 tooth upper, (32 on there now...) to take it down to 10% underdriven. don't know what the boost will be, but i imagine it will be easier to get down the track for my first time. this thing is nothing less than scary when you step on it, and i am man enough to admit that i want to start out detuned a bit, before i give her hell on the track in this current tune. i have no idea how fast it is now, but i would think that my top end would be enough to get into tech trouble with no roll bar. we'll see...............

ok, sorry i'm not around more lately, lots of personal change going on in life, and work has been slow, which means play time has been slow............

thanks for everything folks!

davey

ps a pic of a car i had to park in front of specifically to get this shot..... too funny!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gto and electric car.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	181830  

Old 09-20-2009, 09:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb

With those sideburns, a droopy-stemmed pipe and a Sherlock Holmes hat and you'll be all set.

Last edited by Scott M; 09-20-2009 at 10:00 AM.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360Rocket View Post

http://www.goodvibesracing.com/belt_guards.htm

http://www.rcdengineering.com/beltguard.html

There is also a company called ESP that makes an old-school guard, but I can't seem to find anything on them right now.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey Davey,
I was just thinking about you on Friday night when I was standing in front of the High Dive here in Seattle. Since you and Storm Large and the Balls played there, it made me think of the night of your gig there.

The pic of the blown poncho in front of the little electric car is priceless --gotta love the strange contrast between the IRON AGE and the Battery Age
Looks good

When is your band going to make the circuit again ? Soon I hope !