Pontiac Business Entities Exchange Sources, Compliments and Grievances in regard to Pontiac parts or services rendered by an individual or business.

Old 05-17-2020, 07:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default American Powertrain

I thought I would give me evaluation of American Powertrain now that my transaction is almost complete.
1. Their layaway program is great with very little down.
2. Everything I bought was of top quality.
3. Their service leading up to and during the sale was unbeatable.
Now the bad.
The directions SUCK!!! If you are running a mechanical speedometer like I am they send you an adapter with a million little washers and no instructions and then act like you are bothering them when you call and ask.
If you get the upgraded shifter make sure it’s tight before you install the trans in the car. I had to take the engine and trans back out when I bolted the stick on and realized the shifter was floppy.
The “shipping plug” that they said was in the tail shaft and had to be pryed out by a screwdriver is not there. Don’t waste 30 minutes on the phone with them telling you to look deeper in the shaft.
The weekend and extended hour tech support they tout does not exist. It’s the techs cell phone and he will not call you back on nights or weekends.
Check your order immediately. I received NO hardware for the install and had to get a separate shipment.
Make sure you are in agreement about your U joint size. I am running 1350 U joints and my driveshaft order form they just sent me with tracking number says it was built with 1330. I have to call in the morning because that’s not what I paid for or what my rear is setup for and I am not using conversion U Joints.
I would rate them as OK. If they had a more favorable layaway policy I would have bought from SST but it is what it is.

Old 05-17-2020, 09:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've used them for 6 speed conversions and was always pleased. I always dealt with Ross in sales, but I haven't been in touch since my last buy in 2017. I pulled up my email history from American and below is a copy of an email I got from them in 2018. It explains a change in customer service. Maybe not the best change.

" I wanted to just take a moment to reach out to you and see how things are going? I noticed it’s be awhile since we have spoken with you. We have had some changes in the way that we process our sales and tech questions for our customers. We are now combining the two departments so our customers can have a far more personal relationship with their salesperson and will be taken care of in a timely manner.

If you have any questions please feel free to give me a call or send me an e-mail.

I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Thank you for your business.

Matt Strickland
Sales/Tech Support
931-646-4836 ext 131

Mstrickland@americanpowertrain.com "

Old 05-27-2020, 06:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well after trying to install my driveshaft I found out the plug is in there. TREMEC says you can run it with the plug in there just use the driveshaft to push it past the splines. I have tried everything and the plug is frozen in place. I have done some research and the consensus is that it’s a bitch to get out. Since I put my driveshaft about 3/4 of an inch in I have pushed it a little farther in so I guess I am in for some fun getting it out. The suggestion I have seen online was screw two wood screws in the rubber then grab them both and pull it out

Old 06-26-2020, 12:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thought I would add to this. I broke down and changed my clutch linkage to hydraulic, I bought their custom fit kit and it was anything but custom. There was no way the master cylinder bracket was gonna work with the firewall without severe fabrication. I looked around and found Bowler Transmission has a line of brackets that are specific to the car you are working on. I was able to get AP to refund me for their bracket and buy the Bowler one so if you buy their kit just be aware of this