Old 11-08-2020, 05:15 PM

Question Convertible Top Issue

My ‘69 Power Top goes almost all the way back and down but kind of stalls when the frame is about 4” from all the way down. Doesn’t want to go back up now. I haven’t had it down in a couple months but when I first got the car in August I noticed it was a bit slow moving both up and down. Where should I start? Hydraulic fluid check? Cards on the table here, this is my first convertible.

68 Mustang FB-Green/Black (Bullitt)
Old 11-08-2020, 07:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would start with the fluid.

And either look for air in the lines from either the trunk or pull the back seat out.

Old 11-08-2020, 07:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

First thing I would do is check trunk for fluid leaks and then pull back seat and side panels so you can see the lift cylinders and hoses to check for leaks. If looking good leak-wise check mechanical joints/pivots for signs of Damage.
I had a cylinders’ ram bent in the top 5” (where it attaches to the top frame) and it wouldn’t fully retract into the cylinder.
If looking good (no leaks) you can easily reach the motor fill port (remove rubber plug) from inside the car now with seats removed (or from trunk). I get these plastic syringes (no needles) from local CVS store. I think they are used to administer medicine to children orally. Anyway they don’t hold much but for topping off your system they’re handy and don’t make a mess.
You’ll then need to cycle top motor up/down and look at hoses (mostly transparent) to see if there is air in system. Keep adding fluid to motor (fill port is on the side so will leak out when full) and run motor up/down until top is working.
There is one bolt on each ram to disconnect top mechanism and then you can manually operate top if you need to close top. I sometimes will disconnect the top mechanism when I’m bleeding air out of system to remove the load of the heavy mechanism.
When you get it squared away you might want to consider putting in 2 relays to handle the high current demand and save your top switch from damage.
PM me for my # if you want to talk through any of this. I have my interior apart for recent top relay mod so I can send pics, etc.