Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 11-14-2020, 10:16 AM
Senior Chief

Default 3/8 or 1/2 in hog rings?

Getting ready to tackle the seats in my 67 LeMans. I wanted the better tools, so I did not order the pliers or rings with the kit. What size rings are used on these cars? Thanks.

Old 11-14-2020, 03:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There is a person on this forum who goes by Rambow that seems to be pretty well versed in interiors. He sell parts too. If you pm him, I’m sure he would be happy to answer any questions that you have.

Old 11-23-2020, 07:19 PM

3/4" hogrings are the standard size for upholstery work.

I prefer the Osborne No. 1440-C hogring pliers.
The "C" have the nose bent forward which greatly helps reaching inside the listing channels in the buns.
I have all three variations (A-Straight, B= nose bent sideways, C=nose bent forward) but I find that I use the "C" for almost everything. now and then i'll find the "A" straight ones are helpful for a weird spot... I almost NEVER use the "B" sideways bent ones.
https://www.amazon.com/C-S-Osborne-P.../dp/B075VD91GL

For cutting hogrings off... 8" bolt cutters are your best friend. 1000x better than regular side cutters or dikes that will shock the hell out of your hand every one you cut...
https://www.harborfreight.com/8-in-b...ter-57221.html

The Following User Says Thank You to rambow For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2020, 04:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just ordered the Osborne pliers and some 8" Knipex bolt cutters.

Would you experienced professionals stop recommending things, I'm going broke

Old 11-24-2020, 04:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Your wrists will thank you as well as well as your hands.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

The Following User Says Thank You to OG68 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2020, 10:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When it comes to the pliers I was hesitating because of the price, then I got to thinking that hog rings could come in very handy around the property ... never even considered them before, would come in handy for the vineyard, fences etc.

I absolutely hate the "SNAP" when cutting large diameter wire with the tip end of side cutters, so the bolt cutters are another tool I should have bought long ago.

Old 11-24-2020, 11:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Rambow is the man!

The Following User Says Thank You to tempest1964 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2020, 11:54 AM
Senior Chief

The Osborne pliers listed are very nice, I also ordered 3/4in rings and some small bolt cutters on Amazon. Originally started with 1/2, but I can see that the larger ones would be better. I started attaching the burlap and foam for the bottom. The backrest part seems more difficult. Now waiting on free time.

Old 11-24-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemans67 View Post
The Osborne pliers listed are very nice, I also ordered 3/4in rings and some small bolt cutters on Amazon. Originally started with 1/2, but I can see that the larger ones would be better. I started attaching the burlap and foam for the bottom. The backrest part seems more difficult. Now waiting on free time.
Yeah i find myself using hogrings for all kinds of stuff, just because they are sitting here!

Another good tip... I find myself twisting off the old hogrings when stripping stuff is quicker than cutting them. I still use the bolt cutters for the twisting action too, that way i can quickly cut them if they are a problem. The only exception to trying to twist is when the metal is badly rusted or thin (like the metal tabs on the bottom sides of bucket seats) then i'll always cut as to not risk tearing the metal tab.

the other advantage of twisting them off is you don't wind up with as many tiny peices of rusty hogring all over the place to clean up.

The Following User Says Thank You to rambow For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2020, 06:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambow View Post
Another good tip... I find myself twisting off the old hogrings when stripping stuff is quicker than cutting them. I still use the bolt cutters for the twisting action too, that way i can quickly cut them if they are a problem. The only exception to trying to twist is when the metal is badly rusted or thin (like the metal tabs on the bottom sides of bucket seats) then i'll always cut as to not risk tearing the metal tab.

the other advantage of twisting them off is you don't wind up with as many tiny peices of rusty hogring all over the place to clean up.
Funny...that's what I found to be the best method when I was tearing apart my seats, but thought I was an anomoly.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400