Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 11-03-2007, 03:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Slave Cylinder or Clutch Master Cylinder Bad?

My Daughters 97 Camaro w/ 23,000 miles clutch is acting up again. I replaced the leaking Slave Cylinder about a year ago and has worked great until last week. Now if you hold the clutch in at a stop light or for any short period of time the clutch slowly engages the engine then you have to let off the clutch and wait a few seconds then push the clutch in again for it to work. If you push it in right away the peddle almost goes to the floor w/ no resistance and you are unable to get it into gear. Basically telling me that I am not dis-engaging the clutch. How can I tell if it is the clutch Master Cylinder on the firewall or the Slave cylinder that is leaking by? There are no fluid leaks anywhere.

Thanks much

Old 11-03-2007, 06:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It sounds like the master, especially since the slave is not that old. I had a customers Focus do the same thing this week.
If you disconnect the line from the slave and plug it, see if the pedal will sink. If it does, it's the master.
Does the car have to be warm for it to act up?

Old 11-03-2007, 06:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the reply. It doesnt have to be warm but does it more when warm.Not sure why but it does. As for plugging the line, It has one of those quick disconnct fittings where you slide the plastic sleeve in to disconnect at the slave end. How would I plug that?