Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:35 PM
Senior Chief

Default 96' Lincoln Town Car issues

I know don't beat me up because I have a Lincoln. But anyway the car has 85000 miles runs great no tranny issues. Recently I noticed upon acceleration a shudder in the front end. It doesn't happen all the time and definintely is not coming from gear shift. It kind of feels like when anyone has ever run off the side of the road and run over a bunch of reflectors. I happens only for a second or two and may not happen again for a few days or could happen a couple of times during a 10 minute drive. I know that these cars are notorious for ball joints and control arms does anyone think that either one of these are the problem. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, it probably is the ball joints, especially on the right side ( that's where more of the holes in the road are)...... jack the car up and grab the center of the top and bottom of the wheel and move them in and out to check for play.... it's most likely your problem.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yea, its probably the torque converter (38-45mph) PWM'd clutch pack. But you say "no tranny issues" I say report back on the MPH that you feeeel this vibe.

Yea, its probably the PITMAN ARM ready to fall off. Mine fell 1/2" and was ready to pop.
Yea, its probably the anti-lock brakes when going over a bump (Recall Notice).
Yea, it probably the ball joints for that year (Recall Notice).

My Lincoln is a 95 and had them recalls done.

Old 11-04-2007, 02:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

what speed is it happening in,may be torque converter coming out of lock up or possibly a misfire,check to see if there is any coolant loss around frt of intake(both banks) or on pass side rear where heater hose connects,unless you have had intake updated to a new style with cast alum coolant cross over it is highly likely that is what your feeling

1 69 gto 4 speed
1 69 gto judge
1 75 ta
1 79 formula
1 80 formula
1 81 ta
1 89 formula
1 96 ta
1 66 mustang
1 84 mustang
1 89 25th anniv mustang convert
kaysersuzuki@yahoo.com