Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Black pipe or Flexible tubing for propane heater?

This is for a supply to a celiing hung Mr Heater 75k btu heater for the garage.

This run through the ceiling app 35 feet then drop down along the wall then penetrate the wall to the outside tank.

Thanks-
John

Old 11-04-2007, 10:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've helped out a plumber friend of mine with natural gas heaters and the flexable stuff is so much quicker, cleaner, and easier to install. I personaly like the protection given by the black pipe. Maybe do a combo of both lightweight flex up in the ceiling and black pipe coming down the wall and out. I'd check to see what building code is for this, your plumber or HVAC guy should know what is allowed.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:48 PM
Senior Chief

Default Gas pipe.

When you say flexible do you mean csst corrugated stainless steel tubing gas pipe if so you have to take into effect.
That there is a tsb on the pipe needing to be bonded to the ground system of your house through a # 6 conductor to the ground rod or to the grounding conductor or to the panel .
They had some failures and got sued for burning down some house. This is there fix for it. Copper or iron have always worked just fine.

Dan

Old 11-04-2007, 10:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Trac Pipe baby!

"Don't let fatigue make a coward of you."
Old 11-04-2007, 11:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You should check to see what local codes allow and/or require. For instance, when I had a new furnace installed last fall they used soft copper for the gas line, while I know other parts of the country require rigid black iron.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Around here any flexible pipe Ward Flex or Trac Pipe has to be in a conduit if its lower than six feet off the ground. I always use black iron up an outside wall. The flex is great hidden in the attic or crawel space It tends to be wavy and sags.

Shawn

"Don't let fatigue make a coward of you."