Tri-Power Tech 57-66 Tri-Power Talk

Old 12-02-2017, 04:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is one of the better intakes. Still needed a little port straightening. I forget where this one was from. Some intakes had darker aluminum, and some very bright aluminum. All seemed soft compared to other aluminum intakes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	63 tempest pics 080 (2).jpg
Views:	65
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	469226   Click image for larger version

Name:	63 tempest pics 081 (2).jpg
Views:	59
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	469227  

Old 12-03-2017, 11:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was under the impression that all of these manifolds come from the same manufacturer—same place.

Every oem cast iron Pontiac intake I’ve seen has near-perfect gasket match/port match. Casting methods/casting quality improved significantly in the years just prior to 1966. These aluminum castings must use an inferior process even though they’re 20 years + newer than 1966.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 12-03-2017, 12:17 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Boneske View Post
I was under the impression that all of these manifolds come from the same manufacturer—same place.

Every oem cast iron Pontiac intake I’ve seen has near-perfect gasket match/port match. Casting methods/casting quality improved significantly in the years just prior to 1966. These aluminum castings must use an inferior process even though they’re 20 years + newer than 1966.
The Original Aluminum 1966 Tri-Power Manifolds were made (with these cores) by the FIRST Individual. That individual is long gone from the process.
The following cores (by others) were never as good as these cores. I speak truth Kemo-sabe!

Tom V.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tri-power intake1.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	469323   Click image for larger version

Name:	tri-power intake2.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	469324  

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Boneske View Post

Good point , but when one does not give a hoot this is what we get . Quality is the key , not looks .

Old 12-23-2017, 11:49 AM
Boost Engineer

I believe the 1st supplier and Chris C tried very hard to produce a high level casting for the PY Forum Guys. What happened later with the "other" manifolds, I can't speak about.

I flowed the 1st Run manifolds for Chris years ago and provided a flow report to him with the results.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
I believe the 1st supplier and Chris C tried very hard to produce a high level casting for the PY Forum Guys. What happened later with the "other" manifolds, I can't speak about.

I flowed the 1st Run manifolds for Chris years ago and provided a flow report to him with the results.

Tom V.
They were the good ones , after that the bad load arrived & is still present . How did the manifold flow from your testing ?

Old 12-24-2017, 10:43 AM
Boost Engineer

We had ONE runner in the back of the intake that was 7 cfm lower vs the rest of them.

All of the other ones were with-in 3 cfm of each other. Virgin untouched intakes.

A Guy like Dave Wallace (who did my BG 6-Shooter intake porting) would be happy with the starting point.

The testing was done on a super flow 1200 Carb bench.

Tom V.