Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 12-02-2004, 10:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Tom & Larry,
Thanks for the Plug on the headers. I'm also thinking of the Crossflow for my Formula455. I'm hoping that there can be a package deal on a complete "Tri-y/Pype's Crossflow system" package in the near future.

Larry did you find out anything on the coating? I'm going tomarrow to pick up some headers & I could drop yours off at the same time.

Ron

Old 12-03-2004, 04:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom Hand:
67 and Poncho, I bet it will work because the tailppipes will fit your cars and the muffler is very similar in size to the OEM one. I think yours were 20 to 21" versions, I'll check later and report back. It will be good for PYPES to have this checked so others like you can run this setup.
Tom <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Tom i hope you dont mined my asking but here is my question . Im building a pro-touring gmashine 68 firebird race monster powerd by a 462 p-body engine i was /still planning on going fore a py 3 inch system then afther the mufflers useing reduser cones to 2.1/5 inch to make sure it will fit and have enoughf clearens for my 2 inch lowerd car, WILL this work of art of yours fit the 2 inch drop!! last but not least i have a mini tub system in the car and the rear leaf/shock are relocated 3 inch inwards(pictures can be seen on suspention form prodject full metal jacket) can the end pipes be cut fore a more inward fit ..(forgive my spelling) David PS Ron de headers will finnaly arive on monday ore thusday(p-bodys help) also any news on the tri y headers dyno results!!!!!

Old 12-03-2004, 08:39 PM
Exhaust Guru

RRDave,
You know, I am betting it can be made to fit but you may need to use a shorter muffler. I think Magnaflow and Goerlich's and maybe PYPEs makes an 18" muffler that will let you pull the taipipes inward 1.5" each side to clear the frame. However, it may fit now, I'm just not sure how close the tailpipes fit on a 68. Be worth trying for sure.

Old 12-03-2004, 08:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Responding to an earlier post about the Flowmaster tranverse setup. I put thier system on my 71 T/A, and it noticeably "choked" the motor. Definitely cut down on throtle response. I have set of tri-y's coming, and combined with a good flowing muffler, should be sweet!

Old 12-04-2004, 06:56 AM
Exhaust Guru

As promised, here are the dimensions for the 67-69 Firebird and 70 and later Firebird mufflers. These are from my mid 70's Walker Muffler replacement book and it has proven to be accurate.

67-69 4" by 9.75" by 19" shell
70-later 4" by 10.5" by 22.625" shell
17276 UF 4.25" by 9.75" by 20" shell

I cannot tell you if the frame dimensions are similar but based on the dimensions I see, I bet the UF used or the muffler PYPEs chooses to manufacture or use, will be similar and should be adaptable.

Old 12-11-2004, 06:18 AM
Exhaust Guru

Depending upon work load, the Pypes folks were going to try to fit the system on their test 76 Firebird the week of the 13th. Let's hope their workloads enable them to do it this week .
Tom

Old 12-11-2004, 08:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

wi never cared for the flowmasters myself, kind of partial to walker dynomax brand. anyhow, i will be purchasing a kit when available. i'm 90% sure i can make it work on my 67 bird. thank's everyone. just remembered, ray cox is going to restore a 67 bird convertible & a 70 ta, i'll make sure he hears about it to.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 12-17-2004, 03:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Few questions...

Will the Dynamax 17276 UF def be used for the 2nd Gen set-up?

Will the 17276 UF also be able to be fitted with PY pypes under a '67-69 F-body or will one need to use the narrower Dynomax crossflow?

Will be at LEAST interested in, & ready to buy the following for early 2nd Gen Bird:
-three sets of over the axle & three sets of tailpipes pipes.

Depending on pkg prices, may be interested in 3 complete set-ups complete with the crossflow mufflers.

Old 12-17-2004, 03:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Measured an nos tip & believe answered my own question... looks like the nos tips will go on e-Bay.

Looking again at the pics, appears the tailpipe tips are designed to slip over the 2.5" tailpipes. Am assuming these will not be welded on the tailpipes & then the tip being plated.

Old 12-17-2004, 05:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

E-mail Mike @ PYPES and let him know that you are a potential customer. We need all the help we can get.

mikez@pypesexhaust.com

2012 SRT8 Charger - 12.70 @ 111mph
Old 12-17-2004, 06:41 PM

i like it, i'm interested.

Glen

77 Special Edition

79 10th annaversary
Old 12-17-2004, 06:44 PM
Exhaust Guru

Respected Mr. Pinion Head,
I truly think that 20" muffler will fit under the early ones but have not seen it yet to say for sure.
I am hopeful that Pypes can create the new tailpipes (and over the axle pipes) for this muffler and by adding an inch to each pipe where it goes into the muffler, they can make it also work with 18" versions.

This one we played with used 2.5" tips (made for a 70 and sold by Pypes) but I would think they could also offer the pipes with stock outlets allowing you to cut off and add whatever you want.
Tom

Old 12-18-2004, 09:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Respected... HAHAHAHA
Now that was good Tom

Sent MikeZ an e-mail, need at least two sets of early 2nd GEN crossflow pypes. DEF repeat buyer if they fit the Ultraflow.

Old 12-29-2004, 10:15 AM

Any further word yet?
I am so ready for this.

Old 12-29-2004, 01:04 PM
Exhaust Guru

Hey Ken, drop Chris and Mike a note; they were going to get on it shortly after Christmas. I bet they pull it off soon enough, at least before the salt is all gone from the Missouri roads .

Old 01-09-2005, 07:24 PM
Exhaust Guru

Greetings,
Hopefully, this week will be the one when the PYPEs team has time to try the crossflow prototype. They have been really busy but have assured me they will be on it as time permits.

Old 01-10-2005, 08:00 PM
Administrator

I'm bringing the 76 to our shop tomorrow morning. If all goes well, the test fitting will be complete by 5:00pm. That's step 1. Some of the bends may be a challenge for our mandrel bender. It will take more like 1-2 weeks to find out. I'm pretty sure we have the muffler figured out. At least we're moving along.

Old 01-10-2005, 08:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Chris:

Will the system be designed with the Walker Ultra Flow as the muffler or are you going to do your own muffler? If you use your muffler, will the Ultra Flow be a possible option?

Glad to hear that you are starting work on the system.

Thanks again!

Old 01-11-2005, 05:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Bob!!!!...the system is finally in the works!!!
Don't start gettin' picky now!!

Old 01-11-2005, 01:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Larry:

Quit picking on me. I'll come down to Texas and shoot out your porch light Mister!!! Just a little curious. Tom said the system sounded really good with the Ultraflow and really good is what I'm looking for.